78 posts / 0 new
Last post
steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 6401
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Thompsonuxb wrote:
...I myself have phd's in engineer & scientist..

That's interesting. I hadn't realised that you had a PhD. Out of interest what was your thesis about?

Hi-Fi - PC or Technics 1210 > Yamaha DSP-E800 > AVI DM10 2.1
Head-Fi - PC > NJC DAC > NJC amp > Sennheiser HD700
Portible - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM Pro 30

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 15992
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Thompsonuxb wrote:

The topic was about the quality of the copy.....and while an exact copy maybe possible a better copy than the orignal is impossible.

Of course you can't get better than the original, but you can certainly get worse......which is why CDPs themselves differ in ability; and why playing a perfect rip through a streamer, helps solve some of the inherent problems that CDPs suffer from.

 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 7879
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

CnoEvil wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

The topic was about the quality of the copy.....and while an exact copy maybe possible a better copy than the orignal is impossible.

Of course you can't get better than the original, but you can certainly get worse......which is why CDPs themselves differ in ability; and why playing a perfect rip through a streamer, helps solve some of the inherent problems that CDPs suffer from.

 

When you suggest CDPs differing in ability are you putting that down to the quality of the drive / read mechanism?

I hope you are not suggesting they are inferior to that cheap DWD-RW drive I have in my home PC. Smile

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers / Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker-SME310 / Oppo 105eu

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 15992
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Alears wrote:

When you suggest CDPs differing in ability are you putting that down to the quality of the drive / read mechanism?

Yes, along with the quality of the power supply, isolation of components (from internal / external vibration, mitigation of unwanted resonance and quality of wiring and DAC.......but what do I know.  :?

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6615
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

steve_1979 wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:
...I myself have phd's in engineer & scientist..

That's interesting. I hadn't realised that you had a PhD. Out of interest what was your thesis about?

 

He used the plural, so it seems he has at least one PhD in 'engineer' and at least one in 'scientist'. So the question is, what were his theses about? And who did the spelling and punctuation for them?

I am the danger. 

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 19012
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Thompsonuxb wrote:

...I myself have phd's in engineer & scientist..

If I had a "phd" (sic) I would be sure to write it correctly as PhD.

Also I wouldn't describe the discipline/disciplines as 'engineer & scientist'.

Which branches of engineering and science? Mechanical? Civil? Electronics? Physics? Biology? Organic chemistry?

 

iPad Mini 3 • iPhone 6 • B&W P3 • Mac Mini • Apple TV3 • Quad Vena • Pro-ject Tuner Box S • Audio-Note AX-Two

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 7879
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

CnoEvil]</p> <p>[quote=Alears wrote:

When you suggest CDPs differing in ability are you putting that down to the quality of the drive / read mechanism?

Yes, along with the quality of the power supply, isolation of components (from internal / external vibration, mitigation of unwanted resonance and quality of wiring and DAC.......but what do I know.  :?

[/quote}

A right, so not just the read mechanism then, this is the only thing likely to effect the quality of a ripped CD.

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers / Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker-SME310 / Oppo 105eu

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 7879
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

chebby wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

...I myself have phd's in engineer & scientist..

If I had a "phd" (sic) I would be sure to write it correctly as PhD.

Also I wouldn't describe the discipline/disciplines as 'engineer & scientist'.

Which branches of engineering and science? Mechanical? Civil? Electronics? Physics? Biology? Organic chemistry?

 

Has he got an 'ology?? or two? Smile

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers / Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker-SME310 / Oppo 105eu

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 5529
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

I'm not a scientist and I don't have a PhD, but I can grasp that a computer which is able to make mutiple passes at ripping a CD is at a great advantage compared to a CD player which does it on-the-fly.  You don't need to know the science behind it for that to be obvious.

Thorens TD160+Ortofon MC3; Mission PCM II CD; HRT II+ DAC and Mac Mini; Modded Cyrus 2+PSX; Cyrus Tuner mk2; EB2 loudspeakers

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 7879
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

MajorFubar wrote:

I'm not a scientist and I don't have a PhD, but I can grasp that a computer which is able to make mutiple passes at ripping a CD is at a great advantage compared to a CD player which does it on-the-fly.  You don't need to know the science behind it for that to be obvious.

Quite so Major. However, whether it needs to make multiple passes or not, you are not going to end up with a rip that is better than the original.

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers / Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker-SME310 / Oppo 105eu

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 5529
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Yep, obviously that would be impossible.

Thorens TD160+Ortofon MC3; Mission PCM II CD; HRT II+ DAC and Mac Mini; Modded Cyrus 2+PSX; Cyrus Tuner mk2; EB2 loudspeakers

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 6401
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Alears wrote:
Has he got an 'ology?? or two? Smile

I can think of a few characters on this forum who could have a PhD in psilology.

Hi-Fi - PC or Technics 1210 > Yamaha DSP-E800 > AVI DM10 2.1
Head-Fi - PC > NJC DAC > NJC amp > Sennheiser HD700
Portible - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM Pro 30

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 15992
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

Alears wrote:

A right, so not just the read mechanism then, this is the only thing likely to effect the quality of a ripped CD.

IME. A CDP's performance is the sum of its design, with the best I've heard being the £45k DCS Scarletti 4 box system (Transport / DAC / Clock / Upsampler). They make a big issue of their bespoke (and expensive) Ring Dac.

I linked to a concise view on the advantages of ripping and streaming, on the first page of this thread.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6615
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

steve_1979 wrote:

Alears wrote:
Has he got an 'ology?? or two? Smile

I can think of a few characters on this forum who could have a PhD in psilology.

 

Nice. Obscure. 

I am the danger. 

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 7879
RE: Crazy talk about CD v Rips....

steve_1979 wrote:

Alears wrote:
Has he got an 'ology?? or two? Smile

I can think of a few characters on this forum who could have a PhD in psilology.

Had to look that one up I did. :grin:

Obviously not 'ology material!

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers / Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker-SME310 / Oppo 105eu

Pages

Log in or register to post comments