20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 1994
Covers
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5123
RE: Covers

Very similar thread here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-towatching/covers-that-are-better-than-the-original 

Maybe you could add yours to this?

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 1994
RE: Covers

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Very similar thread here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-towatching/covers-that-are-better-than-the-original 

Maybe you could add yours to this?

Thanks for that, but the page for that link has been removed...   so would still like to hear from anyone with their choices.

Mac

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: Covers

I really like Bonnie Raitt's cover of Gerry Rafferty's  " Right Down the Line". I love the original but this country/reggae twist really seems to work well with it too. I wouldn't say one was better than the other, a score draw in my books.

visionary's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/04/2008 - 11:31
Posts: 743
RE: Covers

Rumer - Home thoughts from abroad

And just for the joy of annoying Pink Floyd fans, Christy Moore - Shine on you crazy diamond Lol

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 796
RE: Covers

Spirit did a song called Taurus. Led Zeppelin did a cover called Stairway To Heaven. Quite popular apparently.

 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5123
RE: Covers

jjbomber wrote:

Spirit did a song called Taurus. Led Zeppelin did a cover called Stairway To Heaven. Quite popular apparently.

 

There were several more tracks completely stolen by Led Zeppelin, bit of a pub covers band really.  :shifty:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5123
RE: Covers

Brian Auger/ Julie Driscoll - Indian Rope Man

Love the original by Richie Havens, but this is in another league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHaMPIa-F4

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 3791
RE: Covers
Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 1994
RE: Covers

visionary wrote:

Rumer - Home thoughts from abroad

And just for the joy of annoying Pink Floyd fans, Christy Moore - Shine on you crazy diamond Lol

Agree, Rumer's version is superb... does Clifford T proud.

Mac

shropshire lad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: 18/02/2010 - 19:41
Posts: 422
RE: Covers

Talking of cover versions and Stairway To Heaven  ( and Bohemian Rhapsody , while we're at it ) , obviously Rolf's versions of both songs are miles better than the originals .

 The other obvious choice is Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower .

And Jeff Buckley's versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and Genesis's "Back in NYC ".

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2232
RE: Covers

Tom Waits as a singer leaves me totally cold. Some of his songs however I really like, and one of my favourite female vocalists Christine Collister does superb versions of Broken Bicycles and Dirt in the Ground

 

 

.

char_lotte's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 27/02/2012 - 17:13
Posts: 316
RE: Covers

I really like the covers of Heard it through the Grapevine by Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Slits.

Funnily enough on Craig Charles' show there is a stem remix of the CCR version by The Reflex which is definitely one of my favourites.

http://m.soundcloud.com/thereflex/creedence-clearwater-grapevine

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 796
RE: Covers

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

There were several more tracks completely stolen by Led Zeppelin, bit of a pub covers band really.  :shifty:

 

I'll give you the originals. You can fill in the covers:

Small Faces: You Need Loving? Cover version ...............

Eddie Cochrane: Nervous Breakdown? Cover Version ...............

Jake Holmes: Dazed And Confused? Cover Version ..............

Fairport Convention: She Moves Through The Fair? Cover Version .............

Eddie Philips: Sunshine Girl? Cover Version..................

Jeff Beck: Blues deluxe? Cover Version................

 

 

 

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2232
RE: Covers

jjbomber wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

There were several more tracks completely stolen by Led Zeppelin, bit of a pub covers band really.  :shifty:

 

I'll give you the originals. You can fill in the covers:

Small Faces: You Need Loving? Cover version ...............

Eddie Cochrane: Nervous Breakdown? Cover Version ...............

Jake Holmes: Dazed And Confused? Cover Version ..............

Fairport Convention: She Moves Through The Fair? Cover Version .............

Eddie Philips: Sunshine Girl? Cover Version..................

Jeff Beck: Blues deluxe? Cover Version................

 

 

 

 

I dont think Fairport Convention would claim to be the originals of that song, its just their arrangement of a traditional Irish folk song IIRC.

 

 

.

stefanom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 16/03/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 16
RE: Covers

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments