Have your say & ask the experts!

Correct wiring of jumper cables

184 replies [Last post]
Vizzage's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Aug 2009
Posts: 103
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

I thought it was me who was trying to hijack the thread! Sales people are the only friends my granny has. I'm going to replace the bell wire and go back to jumpers. Cheers all

__________________

SRM-tech Rega P3/GL2400     Talk Electronics             Castle Howard

Rega Planet CD player       >    Hurricane/Tornado/   >  speakers with

Denon TU-1800 DAB/FM         Whirlwind amplifiers      Tellurium Q Black

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 569
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Well,  a number of the post above do refer to the apparent improvements of replacing jumpers with cable.......

But let me go back to the OP,  who was unsure how to plug the cables into his speaker and thought by moving the cables there was an 'instantly noticable change'

I am afraid that absent very poor connections between the binding posts on his speakers, the likely change in resistance is so small as to be negligable.  

So I suppose my question is what caused the OP to experience such a change?

 

__________________

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1060
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

andyjm wrote:

No intent to hijack, just pointing out the similarity in posters on the two theads and the underlying subject's lack of engineering basis.  Please ignore any comment made on mains cables.

You made the comment that you have been gathering information and checking understanding.  What do you understand the effect to be of replacing metal shorting jumpers with speaker cable?

There is probably no engineering basis for a 300 year old violin sounding better than a new one.  But don't expect any of the world's leading violinists to believe that when they carry their million dollar Strads everywhere.  Listening 'tests' often fail here too - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius#Comparisons_in_sound_quality  

Sound, and our emotional connections with music, are way more subtle than your simple electrical measurements will ever reveal in our lifetimes, IMO.

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Oct 2011
Posts: 854
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

nopiano wrote:

andyjm wrote:

No intent to hijack, just pointing out the similarity in posters on the two theads and the underlying subject's lack of engineering basis.  Please ignore any comment made on mains cables.

You made the comment that you have been gathering information and checking understanding.  What do you understand the effect to be of replacing metal shorting jumpers with speaker cable?

There is probably no engineering basis for a 300 year old violin sounding better than a new one.  But don't expect any of the world's leading violinists to believe that when they carry their million dollar Strads everywhere.  Listening 'tests' often fail here too - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius#Comparisons_in_sound_quality  

Sound, and our emotional connections with music, are way more subtle than your simple electrical measurements will ever reveal in our lifetimes, IMO.

I think thats called supply and demand. And also a musical instrument has a sound, every one (being made of a different peice of wood) in this case will sound slightly different, so ones made in a 10 year period in the 1600's are likely to sound similar rather than ones made 300 years later.

Speaker cables and any other cable (USB, Mains etc) in theory do not have a sound*

 

*At least unless they are designed to (high capacitance etc)

__________________

Main System: Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue  | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Rega Brio-R | ATC SCM10

Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

Hoops Stuff

shadders's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 130
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Hi,

Has the OP checked inside his speaker and confirmed that the pairs of binding posts are not already connected together.

Sometimes - dual binding posts for each connection is solely there for bi-wiring and internally there is only a single cable.

It would be funny if this was the case.

Regards,

Shadders.

__________________

Supernik's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Hi all, I find it truly amazing that the idea of me hearing a difference can bring out the right wing of the audiophile movement. Surely forcing opinions on other people is a bit harsh considering I originally suggested that this shouldn't become a " do cables make a difference" debate. I have also checked that there isn't just a cable joining the binding posts inside the speaker. If I only connect to one set of posts I either get bass or treble, not both. 

I eagerly await the responses from the right wingers out there. Suggesting they shouldnt join in on my original debate will surely get them typing with venom. 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Supernik wrote:

Hi all, I find it truly amazing that the idea of me hearing a difference can bring out the right wing of the audiophile movement. Surely forcing opinions on other people is a bit harsh considering I originally suggested that this shouldn't become a " do cables make a difference" debate. I have also checked that there isn't just a cable joining the binding posts inside the speaker. If I only connect to one set of posts I either get bass or treble, not both. 

I eagerly await the responses from the right wingers out there. Suggesting they shouldnt join in on my original debate will surely get them typing with venom. 

I am constantly being told that what I'm experiencing is scientifically impossible.........I've put it down to being nuts!  Wink

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Supernik's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

[quote=CnoEvil

I am constantly being told that what I'm experiencing is scientifically impossible.........I've put it down to being nuts!  Wink

[/quote]

i hope there is an engineering basis for your claim of insanity. lol

Supernik's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

[quote=CnoEvil

I am constantly being told that what I'm experiencing is scientifically impossible.........I've put it down to being nuts!  Wink

[/quote]

i hope there is an engineering basis for your claim of insanity. lol

Supernik's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Oops

shadders's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 130
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Supernik wrote:

Hi all, I find it truly amazing that the idea of me hearing a difference can bring out the right wing of the audiophile movement. Surely forcing opinions on other people is a bit harsh considering I originally suggested that this shouldn't become a " do cables make a difference" debate. I have also checked that there isn't just a cable joining the binding posts inside the speaker. If I only connect to one set of posts I either get bass or treble, not both. 

I eagerly await the responses from the right wingers out there. Suggesting they shouldnt join in on my original debate will surely get them typing with venom. 

Hi,

This is not right wing movement - just people questioning the facts - healthy scepticism.

So you connect the positive amp output to the treble, the negative amp output to the base, and wire between the same coloured pair binding posts ?

Regards,

Shadders.

__________________

Baldrick1's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 112
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

shadders wrote:

[Hi,

This is not right wing movement - just people questioning the facts - healthy scepticism.

So you connect the positive amp output to the treble, the negative amp output to the base, and wire between the same coloured pair binding posts ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Shadders

Yup, that is exactly how I understand it. Normally you connect the Red & Black to one of the sets of terminals (usually advised as the lower set that are LF specific) and would place the jumpers between the same colured pair of terminals.  All that is being suggested is that it may work better if the Red banana plug goes to the upper (or HF) Red terminal whilst the Black banana plug remains on the lower (or LF) Black terminal.

I am going to try both methods and see if there is a difference...having made sure to deactivate the built in Link feature on my Q300s. woohoo!

Regards

 

Balders

__________________

Rotel RA-11 | Technics SL-P333 | Rotel RT-11 | Technics SL-L1 | KEF Q300 | Grado SR80i | Atlas & QED interconnects

Supernik's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Yes shadders, that's exactly how I have them wired.

Healthy sceptism is fine. Telling me I can't hear a difference is a bit much. There is no engineering basis for self awareness and so on. 

shadders's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 130
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

Supernik wrote:

Yes shadders, that's exactly how I have them wired.

Healthy sceptism is fine. Telling me I can't hear a difference is a bit much. There is no engineering basis for self awareness and so on. 

Hi,

Technically there is a difference - the link whether cable or metal plate will have a minute amount of inductance.

Whether this can be heard is another question.

So people on this forum may be sceptical based on whether the difference heard is actual or imagined.

I have never heard any differences with cables - so this change you are hearing will be completely lost on me.

Regards,

Shadders.

__________________

Singslinger's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 657
RE: Correct wiring of jumper cables

My local Spendor dealer wires all the speakers in his showroom in the same manner as the OP suggests because he has found an improvement in sound quality. I have tried it but am unsure if it makes a difference; however, I have found that replacing the stock jumpers with a set from either Chord or Kimber make a very noticeable improvement.