156 posts / 0 new
Last post
antskip's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 09/12/2011 - 20:52
Posts: 42
re TQ Blacks

CnoEvil wrote:
..........The Green are more forgiving.

The cheaper TQ Blues are said to be more tolerant as well, so from Blacks you can go up to Green or down to Blues. I imagine if your system or recordings have no weak points, Blacks also will truthfully reflect that - indeed, they will be brilliant! But the Greens give such a beautiful sound with everything - old system, new; old recordings, new.

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: re TQ Blacks

[UNPUBLISHED - House Rules]Might get in trouble for this but i'm selling my TQ Blacks 2m terminated for £150 and my Chord Epics 3m (one end is bare wire) for £170 if anyones interested contact me on gocolesygo@hotmail.com (Just saving people from e(vil)Bay)

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12052
RE: re TQ Blacks

antskip wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
..........The Green are more forgiving.

The cheaper TQ Blues are said to be more tolerant as well, so from Blacks you can go up to Green or down to Blues. I imagine if your system or recordings have no weak points, Blacks also will truthfully reflect that - indeed, they will be brilliant! But the Greens give such a beautiful sound with everything - old system, new; old recordings, new.

IMO. That is correct, as the Blue and Green were made as the more "palatable" sweeter versions, ie.compared to the Black and Ultra Black.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16220
RE: re TQ Blacks

CnoEvil wrote:

antskip wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
..........The Green are more forgiving.

The cheaper TQ Blues are said to be more tolerant as well, so from Blacks you can go up to Green or down to Blues. I imagine if your system or recordings have no weak points, Blacks also will truthfully reflect that - indeed, they will be brilliant! But the Greens give such a beautiful sound with everything - old system, new; old recordings, new.

IMO. That is correct, as the Blue and Green were made as the more "palatable" sweeter versions, ie.compared to the Black and Ultra Black.

Now I'm really confused (not difficult, I know). So the Blacks are less benevolent than the Blues or Greens? So... thinking out the logic whilst typing... to have the Blacks you'll need an ideally balanced system, whereas a less than balance kit is better suited to the Blues and Greens?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12052
RE: re TQ Blacks

plastic penguin wrote:

Now I'm really confused (not difficult, I know). So the Blacks are less benevolent than the Blues or Greens? So... thinking out the logic whilst typing... to have the Blacks you'll need an ideally balanced system, whereas a less than balance kit is better suited to the Blues and Greens?

Hi PP

The Black and Ultra Black are very truthful cables which will not hide any imbalance / character in your system, or poor qualities in the recording......because of this, TQ have a sweeter option ie The Blue is the cheaper "easier on the ear" option to the Black; and the Green has the same relationship to the Ultra Black (cheaper and sweeter).

So price/performance wise it goes Blue -> Black -> Green -> Ultra Black.

Your logic is correct, provided you believe that cables have an effect.......as always, it is down to personal preference ie. Those who like a "warts and all" sound vs those who don't. I believe cables need to be considered as part of the balance of a system, though they (usually) have less impact than other components, speaker positioning and room acoustics.

IMO. Quite a lot of SS components are a little hard and sterile sounding, so very accurate cables and indeed speakers will completely reveal this.....whether this is a good or bad thing will depend on each individual.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3518
RE: re TQ Blacks

BigColz wrote:

Might get in trouble for this but i'm selling my TQ Blacks 2m terminated for £150 and my Chord Epics 3m (one end is bare wire) for £170 if anyones interested contact me on gocolesygo@hotmail.com (Just saving people from e(vil)Bay)

 

Look overpriced I can get them new for just over £100.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16220
RE: re TQ Blacks

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Now I'm really confused (not difficult, I know). So the Blacks are less benevolent than the Blues or Greens? So... thinking out the logic whilst typing... to have the Blacks you'll need an ideally balanced system, whereas a less than balance kit is better suited to the Blues and Greens?

Hi PP

The Black and Ultra Black are very truthful cables which will not hide any imbalance / character in your system, or poor qualities in the recording......because of this, TQ have a sweeter option ie The Blue is the cheaper "easier on the ear" option to the Black; and the Green has the same relationship to the Ultra Black (cheaper and sweeter).

So price/performance wise it goes Blue -> Black -> Green -> Ultra Black.

Your logic is correct, provided you believe that cables have an effect.......as always, it is down to personal preference ie. Those who like a "warts and all" sound vs those who don't. I believe cables need to be considered as part of the balance of a system, though they (usually) have less impact than other components, speaker positioning and room acoustics.

IMO. Quite a lot of SS components are a little hard and sterile sounding, so very accurate cables and indeed speakers will completely reveal this.....whether this is a good or bad thing will depend on each individual.

I can sort of understand entry-level cable being more benevolent or less revealing of systems not demonstrating a certain equilibrium, but usually the further you go up the ladder the more temperamental cables are then that's when one has to choose or be more choosey of cables. Probably haven't conveyed that very well... you know what I mean... I hope. Smile

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12052
RE: re TQ Blacks

plastic penguin wrote:

I can sort of understand entry-level cable being more benevolent or less revealing of systems not demonstrating a certain equilibrium, but usually the further you go up the ladder the more temperamental cables are then that's when one has to choose or be more choosey of cables. Probably haven't conveyed that very well... you know what I mean... I hope. Smile

I think I know what you are getting at; and I find it hard to explain myself. When I say an expensive cable is sweeter, it doesn't mean it sounds like a cheap cable and is hiding a lot of detail..........in the same way as you can have 2 expensive amps, that are both very good, but sound very different.

 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BronC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 26/06/2010 - 08:11
Posts: 99
RE: re TQ Blacks

What I found was that with TQ black & Ultrablack I noticed the bad bits more than the good bits.  With Blue and Green I noticed the good bits more than the bad.

Pint half empty or half full??

Analytic v Musical ??

BigColz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 18/06/2012 - 14:57
Posts: 304
RE: re TQ Blacks

[UNPUBLISHED - House Rules]

BigH wrote:

BigColz wrote:

Might get in trouble for this but i'm selling my TQ Blacks 2m terminated for £150 and my Chord Epics 3m (one end is bare wire) for £170 if anyones interested contact me on gocolesygo@hotmail.com (Just saving people from e(vil)Bay)

 

Look overpriced I can get them new for just over £100.

 

2 x 2 metres terminated. 2 metres per speaker. Will sell for £150 inc delivery. Ive not seen them for under £200. The epics cost over £300 new so I don't think either is overpriced. Thanks

CJSF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 25/05/2011 - 19:24
Posts: 1943
RE: TELLURIUM Q BLACK speaker cabels ?

Oh boy, TQ-Blue,  TQ-Black, I did a direct comparison at home last year.  I seem to remember the price per meter was around £30, £50, repectivly.  I still run the same 8x2m of system cable now as then, Linn K20 at £5 per meter.  Q-Blue was terible and I mean terible!!!  Q-Black was excelent, a tad better than my K20, but only a 'tad'.

I wonder how things would be now since I have changed to a full valve amplification system, fancy stylus and MC cartridge, rather than the hybrid amp and average mm cartridge I was then using? . . . it would have to be bl**dy good to justify 16 meters of over priced hifi copper cable? :wall:

CJSF

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16220
RE: re TQ Blacks

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

I can sort of understand entry-level cable being more benevolent or less revealing of systems not demonstrating a certain equilibrium, but usually the further you go up the ladder the more temperamental cables are then that's when one has to choose or be more choosey of cables. Probably haven't conveyed that very well... you know what I mean... I hope. Smile

I think I know what you are getting at; and I find it hard to explain myself. When I say an expensive cable is sweeter, it doesn't mean it sounds like a cheap cable and is hiding a lot of detail..........in the same way as you can have 2 expensive amps, that are both very good, but sound very different.

 

Get that...

That's where my Leema falls down at the mo. I would describe it as a 'Warts and all' presentation, and on compressed remastered recordings it can sound a little sterile. But when it is a good recording it sounds ruddy marvellous. Based on that premise the blacks would not make my short-list of new cables.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12052
RE: re TQ Blacks

plastic penguin wrote:

Get that...

That's where my Leema falls down at the mo. I would describe it as a 'Warts and all' presentation, and on compressed remastered recordings it can sound a little sterile. But when it is a good recording it sounds ruddy marvellous. Based on that premise the blacks would not make my short-list of new cables.

In theory I would agree.....but as you know, hifi can sometimes be as unpredictable as taste.

I also rate Atlas and Vertere (D-Fi range).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3518
RE: TELLURIUM Q BLACK speaker cabels ?

CJSF wrote:

Oh boy, TQ-Blue,  TQ-Black, I did a direct comparison at home last year.  I seem to remember the price per meter was around £30, £50, repectivly.  I still run the same 8x2m of system cable now as then, Linn K20 at £5 per meter.  Q-Blue was terible and I mean terible!!!  Q-Black was excelent, a tad better than my K20, but only a 'tad'.

I wonder how things would be now since I have changed to a full valve amplification system, fancy stylus and MC cartridge, rather than the hybrid amp and average mm cartridge I was then using? . . . it would have to be bl**dy good to justify 16 meters of over priced hifi copper cable? :wall:

CJSF

 

Did you burn the cables in for at least 70 hours?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16220
RE: re TQ Blacks

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Get that...

That's where my Leema falls down at the mo. I would describe it as a 'Warts and all' presentation, and on compressed remastered recordings it can sound a little sterile. But when it is a good recording it sounds ruddy marvellous. Based on that premise the blacks would not make my short-list of new cables.

In theory I would agree.....but as you know, hifi can sometimes be as unpredictable as taste.

I also rate Atlas and Vertere (D-Fi range).

That's true - nothing is 'nailed on'. But those RS's tweeters does make one feel nervous, given how "system sensitive" they can be. They can sound fantastic but they are, with the Leema, on the sonic cusp. There's no margin for error. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments