Have your say & ask the experts!

CD Transport - budget in the order of £1500

126 replies [Last post]
ifor's picture

Any suggestions?

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

BigH's picture
RE: CD Transport - budget in the order of £1500

There have been several articles about expensive cd players or transport and most seem to say that it is a waste of money to spend loads on a cd transport, you have a DAC already?

ifor's picture

Yes, I have a DAC already, but the "plan" is that it will be upgraded in due course.

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

BigH's picture

Not sure what you are asking for, do you want to upgrade the cd player? If so I would not bother.

Discombobulate's picture

Seems an awful lot to be putting aside for a transport. They have no effect on end sound beyond working properly or not working. I'd buy something cheaper like a good blu-ray player, perhaps one of the Oppo's? And save money.

BigH's picture

Yes I will be buying a Sony Blu-Ray dvd player soon for about £100, plug that into the DAC and it should be as good as most cd players, plus you can play sacds and dvds of course.

the record spot's picture

Yes, but one thing to bear in mind is that the Sony transport can be noisy when accessing a disc.  I found this when I used my S370 a couple of years back and it was noticeable.  

You can, by all means pitch the Blu-Ray player as a source and they'll be fine.  That's not the tail end of the story though and while I like what my Spitfire II DAC and S370 did, the noisy transport (which Sony may have dealt with now of course) put me off.  

There is of course, the rationale that not everyone wants a cheap source player.  If you're not bothered with it, then no issues, but some consumers will want something different.  It's important to be able to recognise that and not keep pitching the "you don't need a fancy CD player, you can get a cheap DVD player from Sainsbury's!*" line.

* - other supermarkets are available.   Smile

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

chebby's picture

ifor wrote:
Yes, I have a DAC already, but the "plan" is that it will be upgraded in due course.

Once you have your upgraded DAC, you can use your existing Cyrus CD8SE as a transport only just by connecting them with optical cable (or digital coax) ...

...this will bypass the player's built-in DAC and save you £1500. (Minus the cost of a digital cable).

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

bluebrazil's picture

if you like the synergy between your amp and speakers i think you would be a lot better off putting the cash into an m2/caspian amp, those spendors deserve that.

cyrus and dynaudio and chord

datay's picture

Use the coax output of your CD8SE to connect to a dac and that is as good a transport as you need  - Servo Evolution mechanism after all. You're better off spending the money elsewhere.

ifor's picture

chebby wrote:

ifor wrote:

Once you have your upgraded DAC, you can use your existing Cyrus CD8SE as a transport only just by connecting them with optical cable (or digital coax) ...

...this will bypass the player's built-in DAC and save you £1500. (Minus the cost of a digital cable).

That has not passed me by Chebby, and it is undoubtedly what will happen first after the purchase of a new DAC.  I had previously considered getting a Cyrus QX 8 DAC and replacing my Roksan Kandy amp, but it didn't take many minutes of listening to the Cyrus on home loan to realise just how dreadful it sounds.  The detail was amazing, but it wasn't anything I could enjoy listening to.

So whilst I appreciate that the CD transport in the Cyrus 8 SE is pretty damn good, I'm just exploring the options of what I could possibly do to better it.

ifor's picture

the record spot wrote:

There is of course, the rationale that not everyone wants a cheap source player.  If you're not bothered with it, then no issues, but some consumers will want something different.  It's important to be able to recognise that and not keep pitching the "you don't need a fancy CD player, you can get a cheap DVD player from Sainsbury's!*" line.

* - other supermarkets are available.   Smile

Thank you for your constructive comments.  You are right, I do not want a DVD player or one of those blue things.  I want a top quality CD transport for playing CDs.  Suggesting I replace the CD 8 SE with a £100 multiplayer is quite simply ridiculous and I doubt it's Hi Fi either.

chebby's picture

Off-topic (sorry) but I am a bit envious of that 'Inspired' Manticore. (I almost bought the original Mantra in the mid 1980s but went for a Walker CJ55 + RB250 instead.)

I also used the Goldring 1042 for 11 years (including two replacement stylii) on a Planar 3.

I can only imagine how good your TT/arm/cart must sound.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Al ears's picture

chebby wrote:

ifor wrote:

+1 Chebby beat me to it again. Save your money.

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

BigH's picture

I suggest tyou look into much more, quite afew people in the industry are saying things like that. If you want to spend £1500 on a cd transport that is upto you but many are no better than a cheap cd player.

BronC's picture

ifor wrote:

Any suggestions?

If you want to upgrade - look at moorgate accoustics web site.  They have some refurb Cyrus top CD transports at a very good price