44 posts / 0 new
Last post
davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

cheeseboy wrote:

you can actually control a vortexbox from an android device, so no need for the streamer Smile http://vortexb.blogspot.nl/2012/01/remote-control-your-vortexbox.html

Not exactly plug and play, I have not found anything that runs Vortexbox directly, is easy to set up and use and gives the kind of functionality that is considered normal these days. 

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1086
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

davedotco wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

you can actually control a vortexbox from an android device, so no need for the streamer Smile http://vortexb.blogspot.nl/2012/01/remote-control-your-vortexbox.html

Not exactly plug and play, I have not found anything that runs Vortexbox directly, is easy to set up and use and gives the kind of functionality that is considered normal these days. 

 

Yep, I agree, not plug and play as it were, but I've tried it and it does work without any problems Smile

bonzo75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 17:18
Posts: 22
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

Thanks guys, that clarifies some of the functionality aspect, but what about the end result? Would such a NAS, plugged in to a DAC through a good USB - S/PDIF converter, produce the clarity, imaging, and soundstaging of a 2000+ CD player?

Would the above sound output depend more on the quality of the DAC rather than the NAS, and I can be satisifed with any HD server that provides me the required functionality?

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2460
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

bonzo75 wrote:

Thanks guys, that clarifies some of the functionality aspect, but what about the end result? Would such a NAS, plugged in to a DAC through a good USB - S/PDIF converter, produce the clarity, imaging, and soundstaging of a 2000+ CD player?

 

Yes, if the DAC is good enough

 

bonzo75 wrote:

Would the above sound output depend more on the quality of the DAC rather than the NAS, and I can be satisifed with any HD server that provides me the required functionality?

 

Yes,Yes

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

cheeseboy wrote:

davedotco wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

you can actually control a vortexbox from an android device, so no need for the streamer Smile http://vortexb.blogspot.nl/2012/01/remote-control-your-vortexbox.html

Not exactly plug and play, I have not found anything that runs Vortexbox directly, is easy to set up and use and gives the kind of functionality that is considered normal these days. 

 

Yep, I agree, not plug and play as it were, but I've tried it and it does work without any problems Smile

Nice to hear from someone who actually uses the product he is talking about..... Wink

Out of interest, how easy was it to set up and use and what is your level of expertise?

I use Apple and have no real compedence in the pc/android world so this is a genuine inquiry as to the ease of getting something like this set up.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1086
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

to be honest, it was easier than I imaginged.  Pretty much plug and play, just a few tweaks to the settings.  Don't get me wrong, it's not as slick as the sonos, and iirc, the bog standard vortexbox with squeezebox controller doesn't do gapless flac playback, although it may do now.

 

Worth having a look here for a list of supported dacs

http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=Compatibility+Guide

 

and here's how you can make a very cheap streamingbox to work with the vortexbox Smile

http://vortexbox.org/content/149-Logitech-SqueezeBox-replacement-for-under-30

 

Like with most things linux, if it works, you're fine.  If it doesn't expect pain and nightmares Wink  My level of expertise is quite high though (sysadmin etc) so I can work around if needed.

 

I'd advise if people want to try it, download vortexbox and give it a shot.  You might waste a couple of hours for nothing, then again, you might find a nice new toy Smile

 

I don't use it myself anymore, but that's because I run everything through XBMC now as it's a combined audio/video solution, and ihmo, nothing really comes close to xbmc for all the bells and whistles Smile

MoJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 27/05/2013 - 18:10
Posts: 65
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

Isn't it the case though that xbmc doesn't allow streaming of FLAC files?

i just bought a NAS and am waiting on a Raspberry Pi arriving so I can stream my music. I do intend though to upgrade my cdp, amp and TT.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1086
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

MoJoe wrote:

Isn't it the case though that xbmc doesn't allow streaming of FLAC files?

i just bought a NAS and am waiting on a Raspberry Pi arriving so I can stream my music. I do intend though to upgrade my cdp, amp and TT.

 

xbmc has played everything I've thrown at it, be it local, or network storage, plus it has airplay and such built in now Smile 

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2089
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

bonzo75 wrote:

Thanks guys, that clarifies some of the functionality aspect, but what about the end result? Would such a NAS, plugged in to a DAC through a good USB - S/PDIF converter, produce the clarity, imaging, and soundstaging of a 2000+ CD player?

Would the above sound output depend more on the quality of the DAC rather than the NAS, and I can be satisifed with any HD server that provides me the required functionality?

Is there any way you could demo both options before spending?  Wadia and Krell would certainly be worth listening to first, or even an EMC1UP.

Mac+

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

ReValveiT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 02/08/2010 - 16:44
Posts: 198
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

Get yourself over to ebay and grab yourself a mint Squeezebox Touch for around £200.

 

connect to an Amp and Speakers of your choice and you're done. Forget DAC's and various bits of HiFi hocus-pocus; the Touch will give any DAC a run for its money.

 

Then sit back and control it all from your phone/tablet of choice. I recommend iPeng for IOS devices.

 

Smile

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3964
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

ReValveiT wrote:

Get yourself over to ebay and grab yourself a mint Squeezebox Touch for around £200.

 

connect to an Amp and Speakers of your choice and you're done. Forget DAC's and various bits of HiFi hocus-pocus; the Touch will give any DAC a run for its money.

 

Then sit back and control it all from your phone/tablet of choice. I recommend iPeng for IOS devices.

 

Smile

FFS god know why Logitech binned them off!

Agree the DAC in the SBT is pretty good! I use one upstairs with Actives

 

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

bonzo75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 17:18
Posts: 22
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

Thanks guys. So all this is fine to run stored music files. If, while playing music, I want to play Youtube music, how do I do it easily in this set up?

 

Assume I am connected from a NAS to a USB S/PDIF -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers. And I am using a remote. What's the smart way to switch from stored music to online (youtube)

 

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1086
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

bonzo75 wrote:

Thanks guys. So all this is fine to run stored music files. If, while playing music, I want to play Youtube music, how do I do it easily in this set up?

 

Assume I am connected from a NAS to a USB S/PDIF -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers. And I am using a remote. What's the smart way to switch from stored music to online (youtube)

 

 

Don't think you can include youtube in that device chain as there's nothing to run youtube on.

 

Some nas's like the synology and stuff have the music players built in, hence you can plug a dac in to them, but in order to play youtube you'd either need a pc or similar in there somewhere, or a device that would take an airplay source, like a pc or apple tv type of thing.

bonzo75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 17:18
Posts: 22
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

So can I connect the NAS drive to a PC, and the USB S/PDIF through the PC to the DAC? So I will be controlling using the PC, and then maybe switching over to Youtube.

However, given that I am working on the PC/Mac, will the rest of work cause noise that could affect the sound?

 

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1086
RE: CD Player vs NAS + DAC

bonzo75 wrote:

So can I connect the NAS drive to a PC, and the USB S/PDIF through the PC to the DAC? So I will be controlling using the PC, and then maybe switching over to Youtube.

However, given that I am working on the PC/Mac, will the rest of work cause noise that could affect the sound?

 

 

the nas drive would connect to the network, not directly to the pc, as that's what they are for.

 

From there you can access the files on the nas from you mac/pc/tablet etc..

 

don't do any digital conversion if you have to, so if you want to use usb, make sure you have a dac with a usb input, otherwise make sure you have a pc/soundcard that has spdif out to the dac.

 

As for doing other things on the pc/mac, should make any difference, unless those things have sound coming out of them.  So for example, if you were playing music through a music player on the pc, and then loaded up a youtube video, you would get the sound from both of them coming out at the same time if that makes sense?

 

Hopefully that makes sense, I've been staring at screens all day so brain is fried Smile

Pages

Log in or register to post comments