Have your say & ask the experts!

Can Oppo 105 play stuff like Dark Side of the Moon nonstop?

97 replies [Last post]
Chaloff's picture

Thanks a lot!!!

1) Oppo BDP-105 - NAD 356 BEE - B&W CM1

2) Onkyo CR-N755 - Q Acoustics 2010i

chebby's picture
RE: Can Oppo 105 play stuff like Dark Side of the Moon nonstop?

Chaloff wrote:

Are you setting up a freelance torture centre?

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Chaloff's picture

Hi chebby,

Thanks for compliments about my English Smile

I have +90% of my albums in flac - no cue, number of files in the album folder is equal to no. of tracks. Shall I hear a pause in e.g. PF's Dark Side???

Thanks!

chebby's picture

Ok I understand now!

You mean 'gapless' playback. (Not 'non-stop'.)

Please excuse my poor sense of humour. Your title sounded like you wanted to play 'Dark Side of The Moon' over and over again, without ever stopping Smile

Sorry.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Chaloff's picture

No, your sense of humor was really nice for me:).

You know I'm from Russia. There are only white bears, vodka and me, wanting to hear Pink Floyd for ever Smile

So, what about gapless playback in the Oppo 105 Smile

GSB
GSB's picture

Now then chaloff,a man shirley after my own heart:)

Do you self a favour,get DSOTM on SACD....you will want to listen to this mix over and over,for ever and ever!

...as for gapless streaming i'm not sure,will find out tomorow if no one else chips in.

Vlosvidania beauty, eh

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

woodster's picture

Christ, I hope not. That is akin to white noise interrogation techniques

System1-Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Audiolab 8200 CD, B&W CM8's, Sonos zp90, Appletv  for spotify via macbook pro. Russ Andrews Classic PowerKord on Roksan & Audiolab.

System2-Marantz cd603, airplay via mac, Sonos zp90, Q Acoustics 2010

Home cinema-Pioneer vsx2020, virgin tivo, Boxee, pioneer bluray, humax hdsat pvr, kef3005 speakers, wdtv live, lg590 50 TV

Games room- pana 42" tv, ps3, sony reciever, humax freeview box, ma speakers, Sonos zp90

Master bedroom- Sonos zp120, Cyrus CD8 SE, Linn Kelidh speakers, Pioneer 26" tv, Panasonic bluray, virgin tv box. All rooms fed 30 mb broadband via homeplugs

nopiano's picture
RE: Can Oppo 105 play gapless?

I canot find it stated anywhere, and I have read a number of reviews and forum posts about this amazing machine.  I can only say, I cannot believe it wouldn't play gaplessly, given the attention the design has clearly had and the top grade components.

Great question, though, as it is still astonising the gear that cannot.  In my view anything that cannot should get 1 star by default!  Marantz NA-7004, for example, which is otherwise pretty good.

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

BenLaw's picture

woodster wrote:

Christ, I hope not. That is akin to white noise interrogation techniques

Didn't Chebby do that joke?

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

Al ears's picture

Hi,

Can I suggest if this was re-posted in the 'Blu-ray Players' forum it might get more response.

I wonder if Chebby or nopiano could explain here exactly what 'gapless playback' is as I am having trouble getting my head around it (must be age!).

If I know exactly what the OP is after I could check it out as I have said Oppo networked to my NAS drive / computer both wirelessly and via powerline adaptors. I also have music stored in many different formats so could experiment if I know exactly what the OP is requiring it to do. Smile

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

nopiano's picture

Hi Alears

A good narrative is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback

In my terms (and the OP's, i think) it means an album where the 'tracks' play continously, like DSOTM, and many live recordings, operas, etc, are not atificially silenced for a few seconds by the playback machine from track to track.  It only seems to happen with streaming.  

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

chebby's picture

Alears wrote:

I wonder if Chebby or nopiano could explain here exactly what 'gapless playback' is as I am having trouble getting my head around it (must be age!).

On a classical CD you frequently get very long sections of music (like movements in a symphony) but it will be 'chunked' into lots of tracks (like index points) despite being a continuous piece.

Gapless playback will play it back as a continuous piece (as it should be) but if the software doesn't allow gapless playback, then you get brief intervals of silence where they shouldn't be.

The same will happen with live concert recordings (any genre) or very long tracks on 'concept' albums or things like BBC radio drama/documentary/comedy  CDs that have continuous dialogue but - without gapless playback - end up a complete nonsense because of all the silent intervals between  arbitrarily imposed 'tracks' (or index points) on the original CD that was ripped.

Luckily I love using AirPlay and I have all my music, drama, comedy, documentary CDs ripped to iTunes.

iTunes settings allow me to change the relevant CD rips to gapless and AirPlay allows me to play them back as such.

However, If they were all in FLAC, for instance, and I streamed from a NAS, then this would not be possible with my system.

Al ears's picture

Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

So am I right in thinking these 'index points' are only products of a ripped CD? What happens if the same piece is downloaded from the likes of the Bowers & Wilkins (or any other for that matter) download sites. Do they still appear if you stream a downloaded file?

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

manicm's picture

chebby wrote:

Chaloff wrote:

Are you setting up a freelance torture centre?

Don't worry Chebby, when I was about 4 years old (yes I can remember) and my brother played DSOTM the sound effects pretty much terrified me as well rolling on the floor laughing

Arcam Solo Mini/Monitor Audio RX1/Cambridge Audio 751BD/Samsung 37” LCD

MajorFubar's picture

Alears wrote:

Thanks Chebby / nopiano.

So am I right in thinking these 'index points' are only products of a ripped CD? What happens if the same piece is downloaded from the likes of the Bowers & Wilkins (or any other for that matter) download sites. Do they still appear if you stream a downloaded file?

You're getting the wrong end of the stick, possibly. Think of any CD in your collection where two-or-more tracks play one after the other without a break in the audio. To play them as intended as one continuous piece you need something which will play the CD 'gaplessly'. All CD players can do this by default, and have done since day one, but with other devices (and some computer-software players) it's a bit hit-n-miss, and the manufacturers aren't always clear about it in their literature either. So if you rip - or download - an album where one or more tracks are supposed to play without gap and either your device or its software can't play gaplessly, you'll get an unnatural break between the tracks as it finishes one track and starts the next.

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz CD63KIS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Nakamichi DR-1

BigH's picture

Chaloff wrote:

No, your sense of humor was really nice for me:).

You know I'm from Russia. There are only white bears, vodka and me, wanting to hear Pink Floyd for ever Smile

So, what about gapless playback in the Oppo 105 Smile

Thought you would be playing something like Mari Boine out in the Russian sticks.