58 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6591
RE: Cable flow direction

chebby wrote:

carter wrote:

You think it wouldn't make any difference but  I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy  :O

Reverse or Welsh?

 

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse. 

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 1065
RE: Cable flow direction

BenLaw wrote:

chebby wrote:

carter wrote:

You think it wouldn't make any difference but  I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy  :O

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse. 

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume.  Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

BenLaw's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6591
RE: Cable flow direction

ifor wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

chebby wrote:

carter wrote:

You think it wouldn't make any difference but  I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy  :O

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse. 

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume.  Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

 

I know but IIRC correctly carter is dyslexic and I therefore felt it inappropriate to make that observation. 

I am the danger. 

proffski's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 18:44
Posts: 403
RE: Cable flow direction

lejockey wrote:
Its an alternating current flowing through them no? So it won't matter which way round they go?

Ah, but Hi-Fi charletons can alter the laws of physics and the more they cahrge for their wires the more the physics is altered!

Floydian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 11:02
Posts: 4
RE: Cable flow direction

If you want to follow the writing or the arrows on the cables, then do so. If you don't, then don't!!

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1978
RE: Cable flow direction

BenLaw wrote:

ifor wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

chebby wrote:

carter wrote:

You think it wouldn't make any difference but  I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy  :O

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse. 

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume.  Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

 

I know but IIRC correctly carter is dyslexic and I therefore felt it inappropriate to make that observation. 

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

BenLaw's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6591
RE: Cable flow direction

carter wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

ifor wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

chebby wrote:

carter wrote:

You think it wouldn't make any difference but  I had a set he wrong way round and all my albums played in reverse...llawrednow ym ruoy  :O

Reverse or Welsh?

It's a little known fact that all Oasis lyrics are merely popular Welsh phrases in reverse. 

I can prove you wrong there, because the Gallaghers are more literate than one might assume.  Reversing the lyric correctly it is, "llawrednow my er'uoy".

 

I know but IIRC correctly carter is dyslexic and I therefore felt it inappropriate to make that observation. 

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

 

:grin:

I am the danger. 

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 1065
RE: Cable flow direction

carter wrote:

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that iOS had "corrected" it.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4640
RE: Cable flow direction

Floydian wrote:

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

Why not?

 

With the exception of some screened cables which need to be connected at one end it doesn't matter which way round a cable goes. If a cable manufacturer tells you otherwise then they're lying and dererve to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1978
RE: Cable flow direction

ifor wrote:

carter wrote:

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that iOS had "corrected" it.

ios and it's backwards compatibility issues Smile
Floydian's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 11:02
Posts: 4
RE: Cable flow direction

steve_1979 wrote:

Floydian wrote:

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

Why not?

 

With the exception of some screened cables which need to be connected at one end it doesn't matter which way round a cable goes. If a cable manufacturer tells you otherwise then they're lying and dererve to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

 

I guess more expensive cables don't make a difference either?

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4640
RE: Cable flow direction

carter wrote:

ifor wrote:

carter wrote:

could be the case on your posh hi end cables but on my budget ones most of the punctuation is lost ;-).....anyway why wouldn't "my" be reversed

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that iOS had "corrected" it.

ios and it's backwards compatibility issues Smile

Spell checkers are so inconvenient. Every time I type the word 'foo' (which is quite often :shifty: ) I have to go back and correct it because it's been changed to 'too'.

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 779
RE: Cable flow direction

Floydian wrote:

steve_1979 wrote:

Floydian wrote:

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

Why not?

 

With the exception of some screened cables which need to be connected at one end it doesn't matter which way round a cable goes. If a cable manufacturer tells you otherwise then they're lying and dererve to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

 

I guess more expensive cables don't make a difference either?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ScHCw_o7Q&feature=kp

 

 

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4640
RE: Cable flow direction

Floydian wrote:

steve_1979 wrote:

Floydian wrote:

It's like it has become fashionable to slate cables manufacturers. Not on.

Why not?

 

With the exception of some screened cables which need to be connected at one end it doesn't matter which way round a cable goes. If a cable manufacturer tells you otherwise then they're lying and dererve to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.

 

I guess more expensive cables don't make a difference either?

I'm going to refrain from answering that one because it'll start another silly cable debate which would be of no use to the OP. Smile

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16678
RE: Cable flow direction

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2000/lampen/

It's worth reading. Belden are a serious company making products for most market sectors around the world.

There is a good chance that they made a lot of the 'boutique' hi-fi cables that are terminated with fancy looking plugs, packaged and re-sold in hi-fi shops for some of the 'usual suspects' we think of as cable manufacturers.

Their approach is sensible and pragmatic. 

To paraphrase ...

"Customer wants their cable insulation printed to indicate best audible 'directionality'. So we give them samples and let them choose the 'best' direction and then produce it as per contract, even though we've proven to our own satisfaction that it's b######s with our own double blind tests."

 

 

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme • AirPlay • iTunes • Marantz M-CR603  • Rega R3

Pages

Log in or register to post comments