21 posts / 0 new
Last post
stevee1966's picture
B&W 685 v's B&W 684
English

My current set up for 2 channel hi-fi is a combination of a Marantz PM7001 amp, a Marantz SA7001 cd player, and a pair of B&W 685 speakers.

I've been thinking of getting some floorstanding speakers to replace the 685's, so was wondering if i'm going to get a significantly bigger and better sound from a a pair of 684's ???

Music i mainly listen to is guitar based bands (Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Anathema, Marillion etc) and my room size is 6m x 4m (i sit with the speakers approx 3m in front of me).

I plan to get an audition of the speakers but before i do that i just thought i'd gauge the forums opinion.

Thanks in advance for any advise / info that forum members can give.

Roksan Caspian M2 CD --> Atlas Hyper Integra  --> Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amp  --> Atlas Hyper 2.0  --> Monitor Audio Silver RX6

manicm's picture
RE: B&W 685 v's B&W 684

What do you currently find lacking in the 685s? I once had them and thought they were superb. Sometimes it's good to go by the adage 'if it ain't broke...'.

stevee1966's picture

Thanks for your comment. Like you, i do like the 685's, and it's by no means a certainty that i'm going to replace them - i'm just curious as to what a pair of 684's can offer me.

Roksan Caspian M2 CD --> Atlas Hyper Integra  --> Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amp  --> Atlas Hyper 2.0  --> Monitor Audio Silver RX6

manicm's picture

The 684s may offer an even greater soundstage and scale, but do you have sufficient space from the walls?

alienmango's picture

Did you condsider the cm5? similar price to 684. Just a thought and not too far off topic I hope. 

manicm's picture

The CM5 is a standmount like the 685, I think the OP is looking specifically at a floorstander like the 684. In any event the CM standmounters are nothing really special - I've heard the CM1. They're just outclassed now at the price.

alienmango's picture

manicm wrote:

The CM5 is a standmount like the 685, I think the OP is looking specifically at a floorstander like the 684. In any event the CM standmounters are nothing really special - I've heard the CM1. They're just outclassed now at the price.

"significantly bigger and better sound" could have been interpreted as bigger soundstage, more detail, less cabinet distortion etc, I'm not trying to plug the cm5's in particular but since he's looking at b&w and "bigger" wasn't defined it would surely be worth 5 minutes given that they are in budget. Personally I'm not a fan of b&w sound but each to their own.

I know the cm1's well and they have their positive and negative points sonically; they are, however, (IMO) class leaders aesthetically. I wouldn't buy them but I can definitely see their appeal.

atishaysingh's picture

Hi,

To begin with both are very good speakers. I have heard both these speakers couple of times before i short listed my B&W 683. I compared the 684 with 683 back to back. And have my word for it 684 is a great speaker for the price. If you have a medium sized room go for 684. Keep them away from the walls. The scale is awesome and base is also very potent. I still at times think that have i got it wrong... should i have gone for 684. and is this dilema that makes 684 a really potent speakers. i personally found them more muscular than the tannoy dc6tse and dc 6t. I have also listend to 685 on the same track the details are similar. but you can clearlly tell the diiference between the scale and soundstage even if you are blind folded.They sound big. I Have had an hour of back to back comparison between the two speakers and still i think mostly it sounded equally good. i think 684 are one of the best speakers below 800 pounds. Even what hi fi says that they are alternative to tannoy dc 6t se. In my opinion they are better.

manicm's picture

Yep, I think B&W are going to have to pull a very special rabbit out of the hat when the time comes for a new 600 series. As you said the 684 and 685 are particularly excellent.

stevee1966's picture

Going to demo some speakers tomorrow just to clear things in my mind as to what buying floorstanders will offer me over my current B&W 685's. Will be trying out B&W 684 and MA RX6 next to my current 685's for a start, then if i think that floorstanders are the way forward (in terms of sound quality and cost) then i may well consider some other options.

Aparently a new series of MA's are due out soon, so shop i'm going to has reduced price on their demo equipment over the full range in order to clear stock.

Does anyone know when this new MA range is due out, as i'm thinking it may be worth waiting to see if other suppliers drop their prices ?

Ben123's picture

Steve,

Im going to have to disagree with the negative CM comments on this thread im afraid.  Please demo either the CM1/CM5 when you go - even if its just for 5 minutes!  I demo'd the 685 with the intention to buy - but left the shop having ordered the CM1's.  CM series are a true hi fi speaker and a class apart from the 685s.  Everyone that has been round my house has been amazed by them.

You will probably be dissapointed with the CM7 floor standers as they had less bass than the CM1's!  Dont ask me how that is possible but thats how it was. - very mid centric speakers.

Let us know how you get on.

sonic21's picture

stevee1966 wrote:

Going to demo some speakers tomorrow just to clear things in my mind as to what buying floorstanders will offer me over my current B&W 685's. Will be trying out B&W 684 and MA RX6 next to my current 685's for a start, then if i think that floorstanders are the way forward (in terms of sound quality and cost) then i may well consider some other options.

Aparently a new series of MA's are due out soon, so shop i'm going to has reduced price on their demo equipment over the full range in order to clear stock.

Does anyone know when this new MA range is due out, as i'm thinking it may be worth waiting to see if other suppliers drop their prices ?

i have auditioned the MA RX6 and the B&W 684 at a local dealer using marantz cd6004 and pm6004. the 684 sonuded more muscular if u like, much better bass and bigger soundstage. the RX6 was to lean and bright for me but thats my opinion. i was using the 685 before and no doubt is a brilliant standmounters but i wanted better soundstage and extensive bass and i upgraded to the 684. within the budget i think is still one of the best floorstanders. the vocals on the mid is clear without being to forward, the hi's is clean without being to bright and the low's are punchy. but must i remind u this applies to medium size room only.

hifi room: project rpm 9.1, sumiko blue point no.2, project box II phono amp, project speedbox II se, roksan kandy k2 cd player, kandy k2  integrated amp, kandy k2 power amp, musical fidelity m1 dac,  sonus faber venere 3.0.

BigH's picture

Ben123 wrote:

Steve,

Im going to have to disagree with the negative CM comments on this thread im afraid.  Please demo either the CM1/CM5 when you go - even if its just for 5 minutes!  I demo'd the 685 with the intention to buy - but left the shop having ordered the CM1's.  CM series are a true hi fi speaker and a class apart from the 685s.  Everyone that has been round my house has been amazed by them.

You will probably be dissapointed with the CM7 floor standers as they had less bass than the CM1's!  Dont ask me how that is possible but thats how it was. - very mid centric speakers.

Let us know how you get on.

I heard the CM1s and did not really like them, there was a problem with the bass and intrigation, slow bass? They were better than the Rega RS1s not saying much. A loudspeaker manufacturer also came to similar opinion. Also I have heard from musicians/piano tuners that the B&Ws are very coloured. Depends what you want and what sort of music you play.

Ben123's picture

They are coloured but in a good way.  Theres a 'bass hump' but thats how i like my music to sound - punchy and exciting with electro and films. 

I find the bass really fast and articulate...thats why i bought them  Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQXp50U2FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4fXTSwX6M

manicm's picture

As far as I'm concerned, the only competitive standmount B&W have in the mid-market segment is the still excellent 685. With the new MA Silver series revealed, B&W are left in a big black hole in this segment. I'm beginning to wonder what exactly their plans are - with the current 600 series now 6 years old.

adamrobertshaw's picture

I bought some CM1 back in 2006 as my first ever proper hifi speakers. They were such a step up from the rubbery drive Polks I had.

I later replaced them with some MA RX2 thinking they would be a more rounded speaker. But I kept the CM1 too.

The truth is I was forever swapping my speakers over from one CD to the next. The MA were good for busy / electronic, the B&W were better at acoustic and vocals.

I then bought some 685 thinking they would be easier to position due to front porting and be mid-way between the CM1 and RX2 i.e. no swapping speakers

For a while they were, but I realised that ultimately both the CM1 and RX2 had much better timing.

After that I just decided to go up a notch with all my hifi gear.

The RX2 reside as my AV fronts, the 685 as my AV rears, the CM1 in my bedroom.

Main. Stream X Signature, CD T, DAC XP Signature, X Power, 2x PSX-R, PMC twenty.22  Snug. Stream X, Mac Mini, Qute HD, 8XPdQX, X Power, PSX-R, Pathos Aurium / HD800, MA GX50

Pages