69 posts / 0 new
Last post
manicm's picture
RE: B&W 685 S2

Freddy58 wrote:

manicm wrote:

Freddy58 wrote:

Freddy58 wrote:

I think an interesting point has been raised here. Do modern speakers actually sound better? I'm guessing they are more accurate, but sounding better?

Hello? HELLO?? :tapsonscreen:

Start another thread, this one's exclusively about the 685 S2.

Yes, quite right. I don't think I'll bother starting a thread, as it's apparent to me that folks don't like responding to my posts. I guess I'm a frightful bore...

Hey no need to feel offended, but really start another thread, I guarantee you'll receive many responses. I created this thread specifically for the 658 S2.

mikefarrow's picture

MUSICRAFT wrote:

mikefarrow wrote:

MUSICRAFT wrote:

ErwinC wrote:

MUSICRAFT wrote:

nima wrote:

If technology moved on, they should also be better than original Nautilus 805.

Hi nima

I don't think so.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

You think or you know? Wink

Hi Erwinc

I know.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

what speaker stands did you use to test the speakers ?

Hi mikefarrow

I heard 685 S2's with their stands.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hello Rick

would it be a better idea just to buy floor standing speakers (with the stand already built into the speaker as such) or are there no floor standers f(or the same price) to match the 685 s2 with the matching b&w stands (i think the stands cost £100) ? floorstanders, for me, remove the question of using the correct stand and any system tuning "headaches" (with a floorstander, what you hear is basically what you get once positioned i believe).

thanks for any advice.

ErwinC's picture

Yesterday my B&W 685 S2 finally arrived. :bounce:

First impressions are VERY good. Straight out of the box they already sound much better imo than the 685 i had (on loan) the week before. I never really liked the original 685, but i already like the S2 version a lot after only a few hours of listening.

Compared to the original 685 they sound more detailed and more open, they have better bass at high and low volumes and they certainly have a lot more PRAT.

Compared to the B&W CM5 (straight out of the box) i owned before, they sound much (better straight out of the box). But the CM5 sounded awful the first 4-5 weeks imo and improved much after playing more than 100 hours. So if the 685 S2 improve in the same way as the CM5 did, i am sure B&W has a real winner and the CM5 has a real problem. Dance 4

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

rainsoothe's picture

ErwinC wrote:

Compared to the B&W CM5 (straight out of the box) i owned before, they sound much (better straight out of the box). But the CM5 sounded awful the first 4-5 weeks imo and improved much after playing more than 100 hours. So if the 685 S2 improve in the same way as the CM5 did, i am sure B&W has a real winner and the CM5 has a real problem. Dance 4

In defense of the CM5's i used to have in my system, i found out that driven by Rotel RA 1520 (which was fed by a Naim V1 DAC) sounded pretty awesome. I dont understand why people hate on these speakers so much, either they're partnering them with mismatched electronics or my sound preferences are deeply flawed Smile

ErwinC's picture

rainsoothe wrote:

In defense of the CM5's i used to have in my system, i found out that driven by Rotel RA 1520 (which was fed by a Naim V1 DAC) sounded pretty awesome. I dont understand why people hate on these speakers so much, either they're partnering them with mismatched electronics or my sound preferences are deeply flawed Smile

I also like the CM5 when driven correctly. It is a really good allround speaker imo.  I planned on buying a pair of CM5 (again), but now i will see how the 685 S2 improve the next weeks. Wink

GCE's picture
tommie_boi's picture

The 685's were honestly the worst speakers i've ever had, gosh, that mechanical sound. The first time i've heard them, i was like 'what the hell?' My friend's Sony micro hi fi sounded more refined.

I assume those new 685 are not that much different. Why pay for that overpriced crap when you can have something stunning like Epos Epic 2? They cost less and sound great, i know , i had/have both.

Wake up, people, there's more in this world, not only B&W or Naim.

manicm's picture

rainsoothe wrote:

ErwinC wrote:

No-one hates the CM5s - it's just that they've never represented great value when compared with other speakers in their price range.

manicm's picture

tommie_boi wrote:

The 685's were honestly the worst speakers i've ever had, gosh, that mechanical sound. The first time i've heard them, i was like 'what the hell?' My friend's Sony micro hi fi sounded more refined.

I assume those new 685 are not that much different. Why pay for that overpriced crap when you can have something stunning like Epos Epic 2? They cost less and sound great, i know , i had/have both.

Firstly, the retail price of the Epos Epic 2 is not much less than the very new 685 S2.

Secondly, there's a large misconception about the 685 S1s. Garbage in, garbage out. In the right system the 685 was stunning, and it was very good at the end of my 25w amp. It was a speaker that exposed poor sources/amplification, and rewarded good components - which wasn't really hard to do. If you wanted a velvet smothering then it wasn't the speaker for you - that said I did not find it bright or fatiguing at all.

Thirdly, at the price, even amongst newcomers the 685 S1's soundstage was unrivalled.

ErwinC's picture

tommie_boi wrote:

I did not like the original 685 either, but the S2 sound very different, are much better and i like them a lot. Wink

ErwinC's picture

manicm wrote:

No-one hates the CM5s - it's just that they've never represented great value when compared with other speakers in their price range.

I do not agree. When driven properly, the CM5 represent very good value for money imo. Stereophile and the German magazine "Audio" agree with me on this point. Wink

manicm's picture

ErwinC wrote:

manicm wrote:

I do not agree. When driven properly, the CM5 represent very good value for money imo. Stereophile and the German magazine "Audio" agree with me on this point. Wink

Most other reviews hinted it fundamentally didn't sound much different to the 685 S1, maybe just slightly smoother. And remember at its retail price it's more expensive than KEF's LS50. You'd really have to be single-minded to ignore other speakers at the +-1000 quid range.

ErwinC's picture

manicm wrote:

ErwinC wrote:

manicm wrote:

Most other reviews hinted it fundamentally didn't sound much different to the 685 S1, maybe just slightly smoother. And remember at its retail price it's more expensive than KEF's LS50. You'd really have to be single-minded to ignore other speakers at the +-1000 quid range.

I can not disagree more. I owned the CM5 and owned the 685 and imo they are VERY different sounding. I like the CM5 but do not like the 685.

I also owned a lot of other speakers in this price range (KEF LS50, Dynaudio Focus 110, Dali Mentor Menuet, ...) and imo the CM5 is one of the best. I like it more than the LS50.

manicm's picture

I think it's down to personal taste as well. I like a smooth sounding speaker but not to the detriment of high-frequence extension or airiness. I found the 685s sharp enough without being fatiguing.

But the 685 S2 also seems to be a 'universal' speaker, and will be my first stop in a new/upgraded system, well apart from the Cambridge Audio Aero standmount.

nima's picture

One can not get around the fact that they are extremely ugly (some would say: utterly disgusting).

Speakes take a very prominent place in a (living) room and they should really look better - competition obviously understands that. Even if they sound like voice coils of god to one person in a family, chances are they will be completely unacceptable by others. Looks could well be a deal breaker.

Pages