39 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

chelstondave wrote:

Just noticed these somewhat soiled but still working aktimate maxis on special offer:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Aktimate-Maxi-iPod-Active-Speakers-Pair-Red-Ex-Display/product_7357

Very well reviewed, 5 stars in WHF at twice the price and would leave room over for some second hand stands and a cheap dac

That is a very nice price for a system I preferred in many ways to AVI ADM9.1s and PMC DB1aIIs. They are not better speakers, far from it, but they are remarkably 'sorted'.

On the downside, they are big and chunky and, well, red.

Ajani's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2008 - 16:50
Posts: 798
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

altruistic.lemon wrote:

4 50W amps - 2 speakers, remember! 

Yep. Thats why I said 2 50 watt Stereo amps. Which is the same as 4 50 watt monoblocks.

johngw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 22/06/2013 - 21:04
Posts: 41
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

John Duncan wrote:

That is a very nice price for a system I preferred in many ways to AVI ADM9.1s and PMC DB1aIIs. They are not better speakers, far from it, but they are remarkably 'sorted'. On the downside, they are big and chunky and, well, red.

Let's just call it for what it is. They look absolutely hideous. Wink

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3094
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

John Duncan wrote:

chelstondave wrote:

Just noticed these somewhat soiled but still working aktimate maxis on special offer:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Aktimate-Maxi-iPod-Active-Speakers-Pair-Red-Ex-Display/product_7357

Very well reviewed, 5 stars in WHF at twice the price and would leave room over for some second hand stands and a cheap dac

That is a very nice price for a system I preferred in many ways to AVI ADM9.1s and PMC DB1aIIs. They are not better speakers, far from it, but they are remarkably 'sorted'. On the downside, they are big and chunky and, well, red.

Just to be clear, these are powered passive speakers, not active.

in my search for an inexpensive system I looked at these and quickly discounted them.

Contrary to JD's opinions I found them rather bland and lacking in transparency, inoffensive maybe but not remotely engaging.

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5024
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

Coming a bit late to this thread, some time ago I had an opportunity to compare a few active monitors at a local pro-emporium.

Long story short, most of the cheap ones were dissappointing and it was only when listening to Adams at a few hundred pounds that things improved.

There's no such thing as a free ride.

regards

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3364
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

drummerman wrote:

There's no such thing as a free ride.

regards

I picked up a hitchiker yesterday and he didn't pay me a bean....

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3094
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

drummerman wrote:

Coming a bit late to this thread, some time ago I had an opportunity to compare a few active monitors at a local pro-emporium.

Long story short, most of the cheap ones were dissappointing and it was only when listening to Adams at a few hundred pounds that things improved.

There's no such thing as a free ride.

regards

There is some real 'tat' at the bottom end of the pro market but there are some real bargains to be had too, particularly from oem/own brand product and some less well known 'names'.

As I have said elsewhere, the various Studiospares/Seiwin models (£100 -£140 pr) are outstanding at silly money and at the moment I am very taken with the Presonus Eris 5, just £230 a pair and in my view, better than the Adam F5, their new (ish) entry level speaker.

ID.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 22/02/2010 - 13:12
Posts: 1436
RE: Budget active/powered speakers vs. traditional separates

I'm pretty impressed with the Fostex 0.4n (now 0.4d in Europe?) which sell for under 200 pounds per pair and i think the 0.5 with its larger cabinet works better for listening purposes. Then again, I have them on stands and running off a DAC/headphone amp as the DAC and preamp. When placed on a desk/shelf the sound becomes smoother and warmer. I couldn't say how they compare to a 250-300 pound separates setup, but the quality is good enough that I'm regretting not looking at studio monitors when I was originally looking for a budget system. Many active monitors are a bit of a faff to set up in the living room, but based around a computer as a source I think it's relatively easy. I think in general the controls and connections (particularly the number of sources you can connect) are much easier to deal with using a traditional amp/passive speaker setup and it allows more options for incremental upgrading of the various parts.

Bedroom: Esoteric RZ-1, PMC DB1i, Fostex CW200A. FUBAR IV

Office: Nuforce Icon HDP, Adam A7X

Living room: Apple TV, FIIO D03K, Fostex PM0.4n

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and ATH-A900x, Sennheiser HD595,  Grado SR80i

Pages

Log in or register to post comments