22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geds's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 23/04/2013 - 10:29
Posts: 4
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

I have 4ohm rated speakers too and did look closely at the Brio-R. FWIW the manual does note "continued high level use into 4ohm may cause the case to exceed 40degC above the ambient temperature". So I erred on the side of caution (over caution?) and didn't get the Brio. But perhaps more a problem here in Aus than the UK? Wink

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 43 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2705
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

Geds wrote:

I have 4ohm rated speakers too and did look closely at the Brio-R. FWIW the manual does note "continued high level use into 4ohm may cause the case to exceed 40degC above the ambient temperature". So I erred on the side of caution (over caution?) and didn't get the Brio. But perhaps more a problem here in Aus than the UK? Wink

Some people in the UK heat the whole house with class A amps.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17261
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

FWIW I think we need to keep the Rega Brio-R in perspective. I'm sure this'll get up the noses of the Brio-R camp, although there's no intention to ruffle any feathers.

From the awards and adulation heaped upon the Brio-R, don't doubt it is immensely capable, but it is a sub-£500 and 50 watt amp. Sure it will drive 4 ohm speakers with aplomb but it will have its limits, like ANY other amp. If you want to shake the walls down look elsewhere.

If the shoes don't fit, change the horse.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4171
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

plastic penguin wrote:

FWIW I think we need to keep the Rega Brio-R in perspective. I'm sure this'll get up the noses of the Brio-R camp, although there's no intention to ruffle any feathers.

From the awards and adulation heaped upon the Brio-R, don't doubt it is immensely capable, but it is a sub-£500 and 50 watt amp. Sure it will drive 4 ohm speakers with aplomb but it will have its limits, like ANY other amp. If you want to shake the walls down look elsewhere.

 

Not here no! I agree with you completely - at the end of the its a £498 amp - albeit probably the best one under £650!

 

Black Gyro SE 

 

gregvet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/12/2008 - 02:55
Posts: 749
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

matt49 wrote:

Some people in the UK heat the whole house with class A amps.

I'm pretty sure that's how Cno sold his amp to Mrs Cno  Blum 3

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 13955
RE: Brio-R + KEF?

gregvet wrote:

matt49 wrote:

Some people in the UK heat the whole house with class A amps.

I'm pretty sure that's how Cno sold his amp to Mrs Cno  Blum 3

:silenced: :oops: :shhh: :twisted:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments