32 posts / 0 new
Last post
atishaysingh's picture
RE: Bowers And Wilkins 683 Issue...

hey Big H if that's True... You have put it across really well...

Viking's picture

I don't think your amp is an ideal match (power wise) to the speakers. They do need quite a lot to drive them. I've got a pair of 683's as well and am using them with a Nad C365BEE which is rated 80 watts per chanel. Even this amp only just copes with these speakers at high levels! Will probably end up getting something in the region of 150 watts.....................would drive them a lot better. Remember, more watts doesn't mean you have to listen to your music louder, it's all about what's going to put your speakers to work. Think of your 50 watt amp running as fast as it can to keep up to 200 watts. It'll get knackered quickly, whereas a 150 watt amp (for instance) will be lightly jogging to manage the 200 watts.

Hope this helps.

Coll's picture

You must be playing in a large room or playing really loud. I have the A19 amp. Paired with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers and even when I play so loud that I can hardly stay in the room I dont have any distortion problems even playing at 60 on the volume setting.

atishaysingh's picture

Only possibility that monitor audios do not drop down to 3 ohms as mine do. I mean thats what is categorically mentioned at all forums and company website for 683.

plastic penguin's picture

atishaysingh wrote:

Only possibility that monitor audios do not drop down to 3 ohms as mine do. I mean thats what is categorically mentioned at all forums and company website for 683.

MAs are a good match with Arcam, but they will need high quality amplification to really hear them at their best. Although I really like Arcam, think the volumes you play at a different amp will be required: Roksan Kandy, Naim (very powerful at 50 watts), Creek or Rotel midrange amps.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

atishaysingh's picture

Hi Ketan,

I live in india dont know how prompt and correct that is going to be. Also wanted to check with you that can it happend because B&W 683 drop down in impedance to 3 ohms. I mean it produces a crackling sound as if something is tearing aprat and its sharp from both tweeters. Not in all songs though.

Kindly suggest what it could be. I am really bother ed since last 4 days beacuse of this.

atishaysingh's picture

I am also worried that my system is not already spoilt specially speakers. although they sound thye same but physco in me active now... :wall:

Big Chris's picture

Perhaps you could look at a second hand FMJ A22 or A32, then when funds allow add the matching power amp. Should have plenty of current to keep your speakers happy.

atishaysingh's picture

Today i am testing my speakers with an my onkyo TX 709 110w/channel. lemme se if the problem is adressed. i really really hope...

chebby's picture

atishaysingh wrote:

Today i am testing my speakers with an my onkyo TX 709 110w/channel. lemme se if the problem is adressed. i really really hope...

...assuming you haven't already damaged your speakers.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

BenLaw's picture

I suggest cleaning the inside of the tweeters with some wire wool, that should rectify the noise you complain of. 

atishaysingh's picture

i think there is a decent amount of vocals coming out of the tweeter of my B&W 683 at any volume... is that normal i think the sound has changed abit...The sound has changed a bit more...

Help

chebby's picture

atishaysingh wrote:

i think there is a decent amount of vocals coming out of the tweeter of my B&W 683 at any volume... is that normal i think the sound has changed abit...The sound has changed a bit more...

Help

You have already started a new thread for this issue...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/vocals-very-clearly-out-of-the-tweeter

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

atishaysingh's picture

What could be the issue... how can a couple of damaged tweeters produce mid a bit... or is it to do with the crossover... Also would like to highlight i auditioned the same speakers on Onkyo 110 w and the crackling sound was not there at high volumes... but again would say that tweeters making the sound sharp is an issue... highlighted with most recordings and when i place my ears close to a tweeter i can hear the lyrics of the tweeter clearly...

atishaysingh's picture

What could be the issue... how can a couple of damaged tweeters produce mid a bit... or is it to do with the crossover... Also would like to highlight i auditioned the same speakers on Onkyo 110 w and the crackling sound was not there at high volumes... but again would say that tweeters making the sound sharp is an issue... highlighted with most recordings and when i place my ears close to a tweeter i can hear the lyrics of the tweeter clearly...

Pages