Have your say & ask the experts!

Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

44 replies [Last post]
Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 152
__________________

Hk3770, Jbl studio 290, Jbl studio 260p.

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 152
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Hi, I got the new V90 dac by music fidelity but I cant hear any diffrences between it and my computer soundcard which cost 1/10 of the price Id payed for the dac. How can this be or is my amplifier to bad sounding (Pioneer 656 from 1991). Expected fine rythmics and insightful sound..

__________________

Hk3770, Jbl studio 290, Jbl studio 260p.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12585
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

It may be the amp but what are you connecting to the DAC and how?

fr0g's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Jan 2008
Posts: 2876
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Zax89swe wrote:

Hi, I got the new V90 dac by music fidelity but I cant hear any diffrences between it and my computer soundcard which cost 1/10 of the price Id payed for the dac. How can this be or is my amplifier to bad sounding (Pioneer 656 from 1991). Expected fine rythmics and insightful sound..

 

The difference in DACs is small. Many soundcards have DACs that are transparent. 

The only reason for the super expensive ones is bragging rights 

(In my opinion)

 

__________________

“Out beyond ideas of wrong and  right, there is a field.

I'll meet you there."

 

 

BigH's picture
Online
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

The V-dac is only £200 I would not expect there to be much difference, thats what I have found with DACs.

 

What soundcard have you got? 

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 152
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

The soundcard is Asus xonar dg, I play all sound via its optical out to the new dac.

__________________

Hk3770, Jbl studio 290, Jbl studio 260p.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 864
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Zax89swe wrote:

The soundcard is Asus xonar dg, I play all sound via its optical out to the new dac.

 

The asus actually has a really good dac in it, so not surprised you haven't noticed any difference.

 

I think you've just come across the wonderful world of overpriced hifi equipment compared to what other real world alternatives are out there Wink

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 3537
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

fr0g wrote:

Zax89swe wrote:

Hi, I got the new V90 dac by music fidelity but I cant hear any diffrences between it and my computer soundcard which cost 1/10 of the price Id payed for the dac. How can this be or is my amplifier to bad sounding (Pioneer 656 from 1991). Expected fine rythmics and insightful sound..

 

The difference in DACs is small. Many soundcards have DACs that are transparent. 

The only reason for the super expensive ones is bragging rights 

(In my opinion)

I agree with fr0g. The difference between DACs is very small to nonexistent IME. I'm not surprised by your findings as I've heard a couple of PC sound cards which sound identical to HiFi DACs.

__________________

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

Blackdawn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 May 2010
Posts: 747
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

BigH wrote:

The V-dac is only £200 I would not expect there to be much difference, thats what I have found with DACs.

only!!    I don't agree £200 is cheap for a DAC. 

To the OP, what quality/bit rate/type etc are the music files your using? If they are poor quality to start with - it will be worth ripping them again in a lossless format.

__________________

HiFi- Cambridge Audio 340C- Pioneer A30- Dali Lektor 2 speakers. Denon FM/AM. Pure DAB. 

Marantz CD6004 - Beyerdynamic DT250

 

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 152
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

I payed 280euro for this dac, my files in flac dosnt sound better then before, I maybe get a little more bass but thats it but for the money I would rather buy a subwoofer instead.

__________________

Hk3770, Jbl studio 290, Jbl studio 260p.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3113
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Have you maybe thought of connecting your DAC to your computer via USB instead of via your soundcard's optical output? That's how I'd have connected it. I know some will argue this is a rubbish analogy for a plethora of probably valid reasons, but you wouldn't judge the quality of a new amp by feeding it from the tape outputs of your old one

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

MakkaPakka's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2013
Posts: 502
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Look at the websites of some of the companies that actually make DAC chips. They only make two or three stereo ones - there's no huge range of audiophile ones to pick from as people would have you believe when they go on about 'good' or 'better' DACs. They're sold on basis specs which indicate they're capable of delivering sounds way outside of what we can hear. 

 

pauln's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 434
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

I had a similar experience when I bought an Audio-GD NFB-12 DAC/headphone amp to use with my PC instead of coming straight out of the motherboard soundcard - which admittedly is probably worse than a discrete sound card such as yours. I could hear some improvement; I think but when I took the DAC downstairs and hooked it up to the digital out from the TV and DVD/CD player I could hear absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I'm now also of the opinion that there is very little to choose between DACs apart from functionality and build quality. As it happens I had other reasons for buying it in that it has a decent headphone amp and line out so serves as an easy way to switch between speakers and headphones. Also don't need to use the computers software volume control anymore for the headphones.

More audiophile hype I think.

__________________

On the road: HP Elitebook 8540w, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Computer Mini Monitors.

Home: Denon DBP-2010, Humax, Panasonic Plasma, Monitor Audio ASB-2, AKG K240 Studio, Audio-GD NFB 12, Audio Pro Addon T8 active monitors, definitely no fancy cables.

BigH's picture
Online
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Can you get your money back?

musical0111's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 77
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

Zax89swe wrote:

Hi, I got the new V90 dac by music fidelity but I cant hear any diffrences between it and my computer soundcard which cost 1/10 of the price Id payed for the dac. How can this be or is my amplifier to bad sounding (Pioneer 656 from 1991). Expected fine rythmics and insightful sound..

i bought a musical fidelity m1 dac feed it apple lossless ,and from blu ray player its is a big step up from my previous system i now enjoy my music.

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1518
RE: Bought a new Dac but not what i expected.

MajorFubar wrote:

Have you maybe thought of connecting your DAC to your computer via USB instead of via your soundcard's optical output? That's how I'd have connected it. I know some will argue this is a rubbish analogy for a plethora of probably valid reasons, but you wouldn't judge the quality of a new amp by feeding it from the tape outputs of your old one

+1

There's not much point in playing files through your sound card and then into the DAC. As the Major says, better to connect via USB. You'll need to set the PC sound up so that the DAC is acting as the PC's audio device and the sound card is being bypassed. The V90's user manual explains how to do this.