9 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Bi-Wire, Bi-Amp my Marantz 6004 to KEF Q300's??

Hi Happy New Year all

I have recently purchased a Marantz PM6004 & CD6004 along with KEF Q300 speakers.  At the moment I have some cheap wire to make do whilst I look into getting some better wires.  On researching I gather that Bi-Amping is a lot better than Bi-Wiring,

firstly does my system support Bi-Amping ( I have tried looking on a lot sites and am a tad unsure ). 

secondly if not is it worth Bi-Wiring or should I just purchase better basic speaker wires with Banana plugs?

I am a total Newbie so please go easy on me, lol..

HF

kevinJ's picture
RE: Bi-Wire, Bi-Amp my Marantz 6004 to KEF Q300's??

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your amp will not be able to bi-amp. You need two amps to do that (or an avr where you can select an extra pair of power outputs for the front speakers)

But you can bi-wire.

But imo, bi-wire speakers doesn't make (much of) a difference. Most of the time, you're better off buying a higher quality speakercable.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thanks for the swift reply. 

Higher quality speaker cable it is then. 

HF

DIB's picture

No need to spend a fortune on speaker cable. Some 2.5mm Van damme cable will do the trick, and wont break the bank.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/1565/van-damme-studio-grade-blue-speaker-cable-2-5mm

Thats what I use (matches my carpet!). Banana plugs at amp end (for ease of use), bare wire at speaker end.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Pistol Pete1's picture

After extensive testing, including blind testing, I would recommend that you either bi wire or add a loop of wire to bypass the rear selector knobs on the back of the KEF Q series speakers....

This system is a great idea, but does 'rob' the speakers of it's very best. I ended up using Chord Odyssey 2 cable, which offers a lot of detail. Some suggest silver cable make these speakers too bright, and prefer a copper cable like Chord carnival silver screen...

I tried these sepeakers at home with both cables, and the silverscreen does offer more midrange, and tames the treble a little.....

Guess it's up to you and how you want these speakers to sound.....

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

With Bi-Wiring I have noticed some that have 4 connectors one end & 2 the other, others have had 4 & 4.  Whats the difference with these?

Pistol Pete1's picture

4 connectors are attached to the speaker end with both versions.

2 connectors are used if you decide to use Speaker A on the amp.

4 connectors are used if you decide to use Speaker A and Speaker B on the amp.....

Not sure if it improves sound if you use the latter......

Baldrick1's picture

Pistol Pete1 wrote:

I would recommend that you either bi wire or add a loop of wire to bypass the rear selector knobs on the back of the KEF Q series speakers....

Hi Pete

Am interested in what you are saying here but I do not understand where you actually add the "loop of wire" & what sort you should use?  Is the loop attached externally or internally...and between what?  Apologies if I sound like a bit of a newbie...but then again I sort of am...:doh: 

Thanks in advance. Smile

Regards 

Balders

Pistol Pete1's picture

Only just noticed this Balders, for you still on here? You need to use all 4 binding posts on back of the Q300's. Turn the 2 black knobs so you can see the yellow lines and then connect your cable from the amp to the lower or upper pair of binding posts. Then you need to connect the other red binding post to the red one you have used.  Do the same with the black ones and the jobs done.

i