Have your say & ask the experts!

Best Speakers

522 replies [Last post]
lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 974
RE: Best Speakers

Ok, thanks for clarifying that JCBrum.

 

What are you doing on Saturday 2nd March 2013 or Sunday 3rd March 2013?

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
RE: Best Speakers RE: Best Speakers

jcbrum wrote:
The sound quality is better than anything else, and the distortions are lower.

__________________

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 974
RE: Best Speakers

JCBrum, can you also please tell me when you've had the opportunity to compare the drivers in the ADM 40's against the drivers in my speakers? There aren't many people in the UK that have the same speakers as me. It's possible that there aren't any.

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 1134
RE: Best Speakers

jcbrum wrote:

The sound quality is better than anything else, and the distortions are lower.

I'm not going to ask you to pove the first part of that statement because, as they say, the beauty is in the ears of the listener. But could you possibly forward distortion mesurements of those "wonders"? Make sure you get some measurements for deep bass too. Something like for 40 - 50 Hz. I'm really curious how they stack against the best.

__________________

Giro, InTheGroove, Digit, ClassicOne, MG12

jcbrum's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 595
RE: Best Speakers

lindsayt wrote:

There aren't many people in the UK that have the same speakers as me. It's possible that there aren't any.

 

I'm not having a go at you, lindsayt, but I'm not surprised.  I don't think there's anybody left, these days, who wants loudspeakers like that.  That's why manufacturers don't make them any more.  They can't sell them.

 

There's no reason why you shouldn't own them, and enjoy them, if you wan't to.  Mostly, everyone else doesn't.

 

JC

the record spot's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 9026
RE: Best Speakers

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

yes it does. for there are speakers, since we're at boxes, with better drivers, better enclosure materials and engineering and no ports which in turn translate to lower distortion of the speaker (and no, crossover distortion is not the whole story. it's only a tiny bit) and better dispersion patterns. I'm pretty much sure that something like this is way better than any AVI in pure engineering terms, but also aesthetically:

 

Must admit, of the two I'd have the ADM's anyday.  How many drivers do you need?  Reminds me when Mission brought out the 753, four drivers each in that one plus the tweeters.  Just seems like several too many...and as JC mentioned, they're not the most attractive.  Rather too industrial for my tastes.

__________________

 

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

jcbrum's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 595
RE: Best Speakers

Go and find out for yourself, oldric.  Talk to Martin.  Hear them for yourself.  With your prelidictions, I really think first-hand assessment by your own hand and ear is probably the only way you will be happy.

 

That's what I did.

 

JC

DocG's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 May 2012
Posts: 923
RE: Best Speakers

Golden Ear Triton Two

Maybe these? I hope to find out next week! Cool

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 974
RE: Best Speakers

Verrtical line arrays are not a bad idea when it comes to speakers. They have a better in-room dispersion pattern than single drivers. The downside is comb effects at near-field listening distances, plus the cost of multiple drivers. As always in hi-fi, especially speakers, it's swings and roundabouts.

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 1134
RE: Best Speakers

jcbrum wrote:

Go and find out for yourself, oldric.  Talk to Martin.  Hear them for yourself.  With your prelidictions, I really think first-hand assessment by your own hand and ear is probably the only way you will be happy.

 

That's what I did.

 

JC

sorry JC. I don't trust my ears. I trust graphs. it's kind'o fishy that a company that boasts so much about the importance of low distortion design can't even present measurements.... I somewhat disbelieve your claims that they offer any lower distortion than any other typical 2-way speaker at or around their price.

__________________

Giro, InTheGroove, Digit, ClassicOne, MG12

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 1134
RE: Best Speakers

the record spot wrote:

Must admit, of the two I'd have the ADM's anyday.  How many drivers do you need?  Reminds me when Mission brought out the 753, four drivers each in that one plus the tweeters.  Just seems like several too many...and as JC mentioned, they're not the most attractive.  Rather too industrial for my tastes.

AFAIK the sides come in differnt colours. maybe this will make them more eye pleasing. the front, however, will always be matte black. in the end it doesn't really matter to me because I can't afford those speakers. and even if I could I would be more interested in different designs.

as for the number of drivers; there's a good reason to have them so many. they are 3-way speakers; 1 tweeter, 1 midrange and 3 bass drivers. more bass drivers reduce distortion, especially at low frequencies and higher volume levels, if the drivers are smallish. I think it's worth mentioning those speakers go down to 26Hz @ -3dB. there are even bigger models too that go easily full range. if ADMs were ever able to reach that deep with that single 6,5" cone it would be at a cost of at least 10% 2nd order harmonic.

__________________

Giro, InTheGroove, Digit, ClassicOne, MG12

jcbrum's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 595
RE: Best Speakers

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

jcbrum wrote:

Go and find out for yourself, oldric.  Talk to Martin.  Hear them for yourself.  With your prelidictions, I really think first-hand assessment by your own hand and ear is probably the only way you will be happy.

 

That's what I did.

 

JC

sorry JC. I don't trust my ears. I trust graphs. it's kind'o fishy that a company that boasts so much about the importance of low distortion design can't even present measurements.... I somewhat disbelieve your claims that they offer any lower distortion than any other typical 2-way speaker at or around their price.

 

Firstly, I didn't restrict my comment to typical 2-way speakers, or restrict it to a price bracket.  Neither did the OP.  Those are simply your imaginative presumptions.

 

Like I said, go and investigate with the people who designed them.  That's what I did.

 

I think it's naive of you to imagine they spent more than two years designing them, without any tests or measurements.  Perhaps if you ask them nicely they'll let you supervise next time.

 

JC

jcbrum's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 595
RE: Best Speakers

p.s. on the other hand, they do have more than 25 years experience of designing, and manufacturing very high quality audio equipment, both electronics, and loudspeakers.  You might learn something.  :)  JC

busb's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 920
RE: Best Speakers

the record spot wrote:

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

yes it does. for there are speakers, since we're at boxes, with better drivers, better enclosure materials and engineering and no ports which in turn translate to lower distortion of the speaker (and no, crossover distortion is not the whole story. it's only a tiny bit) and better dispersion patterns. I'm pretty much sure that something like this is way better than any AVI in pure engineering terms, but also aesthetically:

 

Must admit, of the two I'd have the ADM's anyday.  How many drivers do you need?  Reminds me when Mission brought out the 753, four drivers each in that one plus the tweeters.  Just seems like several too many...and as JC mentioned, they're not the most attractive.  Rather too industrial for my tastes.

 Yup, agree - these are monstrous looking. I don't have a problem at all with ADM's looks or simplicity. I'd be quite happy to give them a listen.

__________________

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true."

James Branch Cabell

 

_________________________________________________________

MAIN: Apple TV2, Mac Mini (controlled from various iThings using Remote), CA Azur 751BD & Panasonic P42V20B into audiolab M-DAC, feeding a Primare A34.2 class D power amp via XLRs, 2x 5m of Atlas Ascent 2 firing up Totem Arros. DALI Kubik Free in my kitchen

ON THE HOOF: iPhone 5S/Sennheiser MM450.

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 646
RE: Best Speakers

lindsayt wrote:

Ok, thanks for clarifying that JCBrum.

What are you doing on Saturday 2nd March 2013 or Sunday 3rd March 2013?

 

I hope you are not suggesting that they actually compare AVIs to a real hi-fi speakers are you? It will NEVER happen.

AVI will not go to shows, such as Bristol, for people to judge 'as normals don't go there'. Actually normal people know exactly why AVI don't want to be compared to other hi-fi speakers. I wonder why? puzzled

AVI won't supply their dealers with stock, so customers cannot compare them to real loudspeakers. I wonder why? puzzled

AVI cult members won't take their speakers to shows, such as pie-fi. to compare to real speakers. I wonder why? puzzled