Have your say & ask the experts!

Best DACs under £1,000

51 replies [Last post]
BigH's picture
RE: Best DACs under £1,000

Just come across the ODAC which is a usb only dac, its only £100 and is meant to be similar to the Benchmark in sound quality. For computer sound I think thats what I would buy.

alializadeh's picture

wow, nice perspective, there is indeed no major differences in DAC's in the same price range, BUT, a big BUT here, i think there is however a big difference in sound quality in dac's of max400 euros and 1000 euros.

i'm considering buying a dac for my laptop/pc only: here are my choices.

hrt musicstreamer pro ( stablized output) wich i have to convert to rca   250 euros secondhand

hrt musicstreamer 2    180 new

beresford gatorized   250 euros secondhand

tentalabs dac ( wich is in promotion and is reduced to 500 euros from 1000 euros

what do you guys think? i want something relyable and good in quality

ID.
ID.'s picture

I want an Onkyo DAC-1000 (unfortunately I think they haven't released it outside Japan). And then I would sell my RZ-1 and buy a 2nd hand Luxman 507u to really monster my speakers.

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

BigH's picture

alializadeh wrote:

wow, nice perspective, there is indeed no major differences in DAC's in the same price range, BUT, a big BUT here, i think there is however a big difference in sound quality in dac's of max400 euros and 1000 euros.

i'm considering buying a dac for my laptop/pc only: here are my choices.

hrt musicstreamer pro ( stablized output) wich i have to convert to rca   250 euros secondhand

hrt musicstreamer 2    180 new

beresford gatorized   250 euros secondhand

tentalabs dac ( wich is in promotion and is reduced to 500 euros from 1000 euros

what do you guys think? i want something relyable and good in quality

How about the Epiphany E-DAC.  only £99.

DylanFan's picture

I'm using a Canadian DAC I bought some time ago on my desk PC, it's a small square back box with USB, headphone & 2 RAC sockets on it, for the life of me I can't remember the name, it was at the time one of the few DAC's that were about for USB though. One thing is though lots of people have commented on the sound quality & I'm only using a Cambridge Topaz AM1 & a pair of JBL Control 1's with QED Profiles, it does seem just about any outboard DAC out performs the often used AC97 audio chip. The JBL's are good as you can place them just about anywhere, I probably listen to more music through the PC than on my main system.

kamanetzki's picture

I just auditioned the Chord Qute at £990. Excellent sound quality and a very small and neat package.