287 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Messiah wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

The one thing that puzzles me, and I could be totally and utterly wrong, is I've heard (or read is more accurate) over the past year or two statements to the tune of "AVIs are better than any system below 10k". To me that is a very over-lofty claim for a £1200 active. Surely if that was the case then more people would be buying active? As I said, could be totally wrong, and these active are that good, and if so then I applaud the technicians and engineers who created the active.

A little clarity would be good.

I think the AVIs are fantastic speakers and have outperformed a more expensive Cyrus / MA system I had before but I would not say they beat any system below 10k. As you say, if that were the case then why doesn't everyone have them?

I guess AVI actives are like any other brand / type of hifi that has its own house sound. For some they will find it ideal and maybe better than their 10k system but for others they will not.

I heard quite a few impressive systems at The Bristol Show a couple of years ago. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses and I do not think the AVIs are any different. For me I want outstanding clarity and I am prepared to sacrifice other qualities to get this and this is what the AVIs offer.

That's fair enough - I can understand that. My main concern would be these "other" outlandish claims could mis-lead those with less experience to go down the wrong path.

As I said, something Alec doesn't seem to grasp, is I'm not knocking the virtues of actives but trying to gain a realistic take on the pros and cons of actives.

As it stands, my current set-up, though not technically the best, sounds "right". The tonal qualities are as good as I could ever hope for, so for me it's about not rockin' the boat.

The old saying applies to hi-fi: If something is too good to be true, then it usually is...

Thanks, Messiah. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Alec's picture
Online
Last seen: 23 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6087
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

I don't recall saying, or even implying, that you were knocking anything. You're just starting the same ol'. Again.

Goodnight.

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 01:18
Posts: 1159
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

SimonDB wrote:

Well, I listened, and I'm still undecided. The ADM9s (no, not the latest version; Bartletts was offloading older ones at a reduced price) had quite exceptional clarity but I failed to be moved by them. God knows what was going on. It could have been the day, my mood, the space, who knows. I just didn't feel swayed by the music. It felt more like an operation. Perhaps some would just call all of this distortion.

SB 

I totally agree about the ADM9's being uninvolving. I find that this happens with rock and pop music with over-lean speakers like the ADM9's. You lose the punch of the bass guitar and kick drum that drives so many tracks along. They are also a bit dynamically compressed, which doesn't help.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Alec wrote:

I don't recall saying, or even implying, that you were knocking anything. You're just starting the same ol'. Again.

Goodnight.

Please don't be spikey. I'm only trying to understand why you and other active users rate them so high. I don't have opinion because I've not heard them - I've not even seen a pair in the flesh, only in pictures.

I've never had rabbit pie, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions about the fluffy pastry.

Nightie night.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Phileas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/05/2012 - 13:43
Posts: 248
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

lindsayt wrote:
They are also a bit dynamically compressed, which doesn't help.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong.

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2887
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

SimonDB wrote:

Well, I listened, and I'm still undecided. The ADM9s (no, not the latest version; Bartletts was offloading older ones at a reduced price) had quite exceptional clarity but I failed to be moved by them. God knows what was going on. It could have been the day, my mood, the space, who knows. I just didn't feel swayed by the music. It felt more like an operation. Perhaps some would just call all of this distortion.

SB 

I read this and thought two things.  I've read a few comments from ADM owners who demoed them at Bartletts and found they were good but not great, but then tried them at home and were blown away.  They were suggesting that the acoustics of Bartletts demo room didn't flatter them.  Maybe you could try a home dem from Bartletts?

It's possible that such an undistorted sound is not for you and never will be, or maybe it would be for you but they are proving a culture shock because of what you are used to and you need a period to adjust to the sound.

 

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2887
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

plastic penguin wrote:

I've been trying to keep away from this thread, purely because I don't have an opinion on active SQ, not heard and don't have any real ambition to go out and hear any TBH. Like any hi-fi, some love them while others don't. That's totally understandable. Swings and roundabout, I suppose.

The one thing that puzzles me, and I could be totally and utterly wrong, is I've heard (or read is more accurate) over the past year or two statements to the tune of "AVIs are better than any system below 10k". To me that is a very over-lofty claim for a £1200 active. Surely if that was the case then more people would be buying active? As I said, could be totally wrong, and these active are that good, and if so then I applaud the technicians and engineers who created the active.

A little clarity would be good.

I think you have to understand the ethos of AVI to grasp the roots of such a claim, I'd suggest reading some of the articles at HDD Audio for an insight into this - you never know, you might learn something.  I find it strange that someone would spend as much time as you do pontificating about various things hifi, but isn't prepared to satisfy a basic curiosity by listening to some.

 

You're final sentence is quite funny considering the subject matter. Smile

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

People in 'hyped up speakers sound just OK' shocker.

Gets told they are wrong ROFL

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2887
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

hoopsontoast wrote:

People in 'hyped up speakers sound just OK' shocker.

Gets told they are wrong ROFL

Really?  I think you need to learn to read.

I heard your system at Scalford. ROFL

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Craig M. wrote:

hoopsontoast wrote:

People in 'hyped up speakers sound just OK' shocker.

Gets told they are wrong ROFL

Really?  I think you need to learn to read.

I heard your system at Scalford. ROFL

 

Which system did you hear? Smile

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2887
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Did you take more than one?  It had your old Kolts, can't remember the rest.  I came in towards the end of the day with my cousin (he owns ADMs), you played The Stone Roses.  Scalford was a real eye opener.

hoopsontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/10/2011 - 13:08
Posts: 889
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Craig M. wrote:

Did you take more than one?  It had your old Kolts, can't remember the rest.  I came in towards the end of the day with my cousin (he owns ADMs), you played The Stone Roses.  Scalford was a real eye opener.

 

I have been every year with a different system. This year (2012) I took the kolts, the system was specifically designed to be used in a small 9ft square room at low levels. The whole system was a bargain affair at around £200-£300 in total. It was a Sony TA-F670ES and Philips CD-850.

Scalford is a cracking event, Thats why I would urge anyone to go just so that you can hear such a variety of kit that you could not hear elsewhere on just one day.

I can imagine that the Sone Roses did not sound that great, a good recording it is not.

Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Bryston B60 | Rega R9

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2887
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Oh I dunno, sounds ok on my cousins ADMs.  ROFL

Room acoustics play a part though, he gets a very suprising bass response - only stuff like Massive Attack could do with a bit more, which is why I suggested a home dem for the op.

char_lotte's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 27/02/2012 - 17:13
Posts: 316
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

What I really don't understand is why owners get so bent out of shape when the product is critisised.

Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16552
RE: AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Craig M. wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

I've been trying to keep away from this thread, purely because I don't have an opinion on active SQ, not heard and don't have any real ambition to go out and hear any TBH. Like any hi-fi, some love them while others don't. That's totally understandable. Swings and roundabout, I suppose.

The one thing that puzzles me, and I could be totally and utterly wrong, is I've heard (or read is more accurate) over the past year or two statements to the tune of "AVIs are better than any system below 10k". To me that is a very over-lofty claim for a £1200 active. Surely if that was the case then more people would be buying active? As I said, could be totally wrong, and these active are that good, and if so then I applaud the technicians and engineers who created the active.

A little clarity would be good.

I'd suggest reading some of the articles at HDD Audio for an insight into this - I find it strange that someone would spend as much time as you do pontificating about various things hifi, but isn't prepared to satisfy a basic curiosity by listening to some.

You're final sentence is quite funny considering the subject matter. Smile

Yes you're right, I do spend a lot of time pontif...pontif... expressing an opinion, what else are you suppose to do on a hi-fi forum, in a hi-fi section? Give a weather update? discuss the mating rituals of exotic insects, perhaps?

These are only reasonable questions given the thread.

If you enjoy pontificating, why not give a homily why you're at it? Smile

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments