46 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Arcam Solo Mini + B&W 685s OR Meridian F80??
English

Now here's a question . . . you're looking for a new Hi-Fi system and can afford to put £1000 - or at a stretch (and some more ummming and arghhhing) £1500 - towards it. You want something that's discreet, all-in-one, stylish, but above all still high in the sound quality stakes.

Do you . . .

A. Go for an Arcam Solo Mini with the B&W 685 speakers?

B. Go for the Meridian F80 and be a bit different?

C. Go for both (not possible, but what a great thought!)?

D. Go for something else?

E. Go for a holiday and stick with my Denon DM30?

John Duncan's picture
Re: Arcam Solo Mini + B&W 685s OR Meridian F80??
Jarnesque:

Now here's a question . . . you're looking for a new Hi-Fi system and can afford to put £1000 - or at a stretch (and some more ummming and arghhhing) £1500 - towards it. You want something that's discreet, all-in-one, stylish, but above all still high in the sound quality stakes.

Do you . . .

A. Go for an Arcam Solo Mini with the B&W 685 speakers?

B. Go for the Meridian F80 and be a bit different?

C. Go for both (not possible, but what a great thought!)?

D. Go for something else?

E. Go for a holiday and stick with my Denon DM30?

If it has to be discreet and pretty, A or E.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

drummerman's picture

AVI ADM9.1. Why play with toys?? Admittedly a nice toy in the shape of the Meridian but its still only a boom box.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

AVI ADM9.1s will kill any of the options above (apart from a holiday!)

chebby's picture

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I see your point Chebby, but you could use any existing transport to good effect. I know Ashley like the Mac - AVI interface, but Ive used ADM9's with a cheapo dvd player and a DAB unit to amazing effect. The results were much better than any traditional hifi at similar price point. Far better sonically than Ive heard CDslossless through DAC Magic's and such like.

I would wager that the OP has a transport, either a cd-based one or a computer. If not, a sturdy one can be bought under budget and it would still sound better, way better sonically than the other options imo

chebby's picture

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

John Duncan's picture
chebby:Yes indeed, but it would cease to be compact - with a seperate CDP - and there would be no FM/DAB and it would be right against the manufacturer's explicit recommendations on their usage.

Even use of PCs is discouraged by AVI (it is why they removed the USB option on the 9.1 revision). Not just discouraged either. The manufacturer has been absolutely forceful on this point even to the extent of dis-missing his 5 star WHF review because a PC was used!

(Ashley's view on such matters are plain, vociferous and rather famous by now.)

If misguided (on the PC point) Big Smile

Kit in state of flux

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Chebby, using the ADM's with an existing transport is surely very much a 'compact' system?!? It would still be one box. Granted DAB would be extra, but still dont see how it would be described as anything other than a minimalist solution

The USB ADM 9s were discontinued owing to (lack of) demand iirc. You can still order the USB unit I believe by special request.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

If those 'speakers have an optical input and the DAC is as good as they claim, then any old source should be fine, be it a PC or an old DVD player.

Most people have a laptop these days, so there wouldn't really be any additional expense to have a complete system.

If the manufacturer is recommending Apple it is likely that it is becuase it works well and has a nice interface to "complete the experience".

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Eddie Pound:

If those 'speakers have an optical input and the DAC is as good as they claim, then any old source should be fine, be it a PC or an old DVD player.

Most people have a laptop these days, so there wouldn't really be any additional expense to have a complete system.

If the manufacturer is recommending Apple it is likely that it is becuase it works well and has a nice interface to "complete the experience".

Yes, fully agree. The DAC is great in the ADM's

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

So any source sounds about the same? Be it a cheap DVD player or a Mac or whatever?

That's been my experience with a good reclocking DAC.

John Duncan's picture

Noooooooooooooo

Kit in state of flux

chebby's picture

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Yes and most DAC's cost less than a tenner as Im sure you know! However in terms of implementation, quality can vary. 

I previously owned a 6-7k system comprising of a Cyrus DAC-X then a Chord 64. The implementation of this DAC is excellent and marries well with the active crossover design. The AVI's compare favourably to my previous set up in terms of detail and resolution.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

What about the Naim Uniti?

Pages