18 posts / 0 new
Last post
drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5023
Arcam irdac

Is anyone using one of these yet?

I was contemplating adding a cyrus cdp (8x) to my other cyrus components in a second system but think I may go down the DAC route. I had a rega dac some time ago shortly but sold it, didn't feel it was a sufficient upgrade on what I used at the time.

Opinions welcome. I also noticed the new Arcam DAC is not available mail order, not sure why?

The only thing I did notice is it has no analogue in's so cannot really act as a pre-amp should I need to in the future. Something like MF's M1click does.

I've put my going active on ice just for the moment, but may come back to it, hence the pre-amp bit for the DAC, though I know thats not important if I go AVI ADM.

regards

mitch65's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 16/12/2003 - 12:50
Posts: 1153
RE: Arcam irdac

Got mine online through HiFix and initial impressions are very good - big improvement over the rdac which I liked a lot Smile

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3022
drummerman wrote: Is anyone

drummerman wrote:

Is anyone using one of these yet?

I was contemplating adding a cyrus cdp (8x) to my other cyrus components in a second system but think I may go down the DAC route. I had a rega dac some time ago shortly but sold it, didn't feel it was a sufficient upgrade on what I used at the time.

Opinions welcome. I also noticed the new Arcam DAC is not available mail order, not sure why?

The only thing I did notice is it has no analogue in's so cannot really act as a pre-amp should I need to in the future. Something like MF's M1click does.

I've put my going active on ice just for the moment, but may come back to it, hence the pre-amp bit for the DAC, though I know thats not important if I go AVI ADM.

regards

Fixed output level too, so will not even function as a digital only pre amp.......

At £400 it seems pretty expensive for what it is.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3337
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

For the same or similar money, how about the CYP AU-D250 or the (separated at birth) Lindy LDAC Pro? Also see the Matrix Quattro DAC.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3022
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

Overdose wrote:

For the same or similar money, how about the CYP AU-D250 or the (separated at birth) Lindy LDAC Pro? Also see the Matrix Quattro DAC.

Or for even less money.....

 

 

Available from UK internet retailers for less than £250. Only downside is no analog in, otherwise....... :cheers:

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

Having just taken part in a blind group test of DAC's I would say the Arcam is definitely a good shout. Can't really say much more until it's published but I doubt you'd be disappointed with it (and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3489
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

AEJim wrote:

Having just taken part in a blind group test of DAC's I would say the Arcam is definitely a good shout. Can't really say much more until it's published but I doubt you'd be disappointed with it (and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

 

When and where will that test be published?

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5023
RE: Arcam irdac

Thanks for the replies and I keep looking at options.

The Mini Matrix has no async USB (or analogue), the Lindy/CYP looks very interesting but the only review I could find was from WHS&V and it is less than glowing ... (yes I know, I know). Re-sale value will probably be next to nothing if I happen to not like it, something to consider.

I guess there's the Audiolab M-DAC (no analogue in's) and still the Musical Fidelity M1-Click which probably covers all the bases but is to expensive for me.

Has to be said, soundquality will be top priority and I'd rather make concessions elsewhere.

regards

PS. This is where I envy folks that just use a micro ie. Marantz CR603 or even AVI ADM's ... all this faffing about with different boxes ... !

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

BigH wrote:

AEJim wrote:

Having just taken part in a blind group test of DAC's I would say the Arcam is definitely a good shout. Can't really say much more until it's published but I doubt you'd be disappointed with it (and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

 

When and where will that test be published?

 

Hi-Fi Choice, did it last week so it could well make it into the next issue in a few weeks time. 

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5023
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

AEJim wrote:

BigH wrote:

AEJim wrote:

Having just taken part in a blind group test of DAC's I would say the Arcam is definitely a good shout. Can't really say much more until it's published but I doubt you'd be disappointed with it (and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

 

When and where will that test be published?

 

Hi-Fi Choice, did it last week so it could well make it into the next issue in a few weeks time. 

 

Thanks. Without giving the game away ... Do I assume correctly the Arcam did rather well?

regards

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

drummerman wrote:

Thanks. Without giving the game away ... Do I assume correctly the Arcam did rather well?

regards

 

No probs Drummerman, I think I'm safe in saying it was definitely amongst the favourites.

I don't actually know the final outcome as the panel of three guests had slightly different opinions on their favourite (the concensus throughout the day was surprising actually, all agreed on pretty much everything - just personal choice in the final decision). The reviewer will no doubt add his opinions into the mix in the test as well. There were some stark differences between the DAC's, all sub £500 from memory and we all made our own notes before comparison so it was about as fair as a test could be!  

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5023
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

AEJim wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Thanks. Without giving the game away ... Do I assume correctly the Arcam did rather well?

regards

 

No probs Drummerman, I think I'm safe in saying it was definitely amongst the favourites.

I don't actually know the final outcome as the panel of three guests had slightly different opinions on their favourite (the concensus throughout the day was surprising actually, all agreed on pretty much everything - just personal choice in the final decision). The reviewer will no doubt add his opinions into the mix in the test as well. There were some stark differences between the DAC's, all sub £500 from memory and we all made our own notes before comparison so it was about as fair as a test could be!  

Appreciated. As long as it 'sounds' a little more dynamic than the rega DAC I think I'd probably like it.

Out of curiosity (and without given the game away once more) ... are there any other DAC's you suggest I should take a look at?

regards

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23001
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

AEJim wrote:

(and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

John Duncan wrote:

AEJim wrote:

(and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

 

Biggrin I can say it because it was a blind ABX test, them's the rules! Biggrin

AEJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/11/2008 - 10:25
Posts: 906
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

drummerman wrote:

AEJim wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Thanks. Without giving the game away ... Do I assume correctly the Arcam did rather well?

regards

 

No probs Drummerman, I think I'm safe in saying it was definitely amongst the favourites.

I don't actually know the final outcome as the panel of three guests had slightly different opinions on their favourite (the concensus throughout the day was surprising actually, all agreed on pretty much everything - just personal choice in the final decision). The reviewer will no doubt add his opinions into the mix in the test as well. There were some stark differences between the DAC's, all sub £500 from memory and we all made our own notes before comparison so it was about as fair as a test could be!  

Appreciated. As long as it 'sounds' a little more dynamic than the rega DAC I think I'd probably like it.

Out of curiosity (and without given the game away once more) ... are there any other DAC's you suggest I should take a look at?

regards

 

Well the new NAD D 1050 was interesting, more character than the Arcam maybe but personal taste would come into it and for full-on dynamics the Meridian one surprised me (the opposite character to Meridian gear I remember hearing) but lacking a little refinement and "musicality" - I like to use this word because it winds people up but I think it's a fair adjective.* Smile

I must admit I've read a couple of the WHF reviews on the DAC's I heard and they're pretty much bang on with my opinion.

*Edit - there was at least one other good option but I can't remember all the models in the test! We only saw them at the very end and by then it was getting late! I think it would be a useful read for anyone interested when it comes out as the fact we all agreed on the characteristics and quality of each component gives some credibility to the results.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3489
RE: drummerman wrote:Is anyone

AEJim wrote:

BigH wrote:

AEJim wrote:

Having just taken part in a blind group test of DAC's I would say the Arcam is definitely a good shout. Can't really say much more until it's published but I doubt you'd be disappointed with it (and yes, there were noticeable differences between all those we listened to!).

 

When and where will that test be published?

 

Hi-Fi Choice, did it last week so it could well make it into the next issue in a few weeks time. 

 

Thanks I will look out for that, good to see it was blind.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments