63 posts / 0 new
Last post
ID.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 22/02/2010 - 13:12
Posts: 1683
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

Funnily enough, with the Rotel CDP and Krix Superbrix speakers I had my Alpha 9 paired with, warm was the last thing you'd call my old set up. Extremely revealing and somewhat bright with many rock recordings, but phenomenal with a lot of the electronic music I tend to listen to. 

Stuff.

p_m_brown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/02/2013 - 13:55
Posts: 307
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

SudburyAudio wrote:

:grin: I am glad you are enjoying it, what did you think about the Monitor Audio GX50 that I partnered the A19 with for the demo? Your Dad is going to really enjoy this upgrade especially as he has the SonLink already. Enjoy the music :rockout:

 

On the Arcam amp range topic I think What Hifi got it very wrong about the A38 as it is a fantastic amp for those who love the Arcam house sound and has enough power to effortlessly drive most sensibly priced speakers

Hey Stuart,

Great sounding and looking speakers and definitely a great match with the Arcam. If I was in the market for new speakers right now, they would certainly be on my audition list!

Best

 

PMB

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17022
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

BigH wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

So was I. IMO, Arcam amps aren't warm, particularly with MA and Focal speakers.

 

Why are you going on about Naim cdp then?

 

As for MA/Focal thats the speakers not the amp.

That's the most recent comparison.

Well, as you should know, the tonal qualities of speakers influences the tone of the amp. With MAs it's massively transparent, Totems and PMCs adds a little more solidity.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

You may want to read these owners comments on the MA GX50:  http://www.whathifi.com/review/gold-gx50/user-reviews

All 3 complain about the tweeters. 

 

Another speaker in that range you may want to consider is the Tannoy Precision 6.1 esp. if you want a sweeter treble.

p_m_brown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 01/02/2013 - 13:55
Posts: 307
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17022
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

BigH wrote:

You may want to read these owners comments on the MA GX50:  http://www.whathifi.com/review/gold-gx50/user-reviews

All 3 complain about the tweeters. 

 

Another speaker in that range you may want to consider is the Tannoy Precision 6.1 esp. if you want a sweeter treble.

I've heard the GX100s. They are good but didn't wow me. Anyway, have no plans to replace the RS6s with anoth MA speaker. The only one I would consider, if the price is right and the Leema can control them, is the PL100. They won't be priority, however, when I come to change.

Already mentally drafted a short-list of speakers I want to hear.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

p_m_brown wrote:

I didn't find them bright at all and that was in a less than ideal listening environment with very reflective surfaces. It wasn't a long listen I must admit but I thought they sounded great with the A19 so perhaps slightly warmer electronics are preferable with MA stuff. I wonder if all thoses reviewers bought after auditioning?

 

They were not auditioning they were owners. I thought Arcam amps were not warm?

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2010 - 19:40
Posts: 314
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

Care to share this list pp? Purely just for interest in other people's plans, nosey perhaps  Wink

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2010 - 19:40
Posts: 314
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

SudburyAudio wrote:

On the Arcam amp range topic I think What Hifi got it very wrong about the A38 as it is a fantastic amp for those who love the Arcam house sound and has enough power to effortlessly drive most sensibly priced speakers

Couldnt agree more. I absolutely love mine and am contemplating a speaker upgrade to get the best it's got to give  Dance 4

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17022
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

Ben K. wrote:

Care to share this list pp? Purely just for interest in other people's plans, nosey perhaps  Wink

Of course I don't mind. The only caveat is it may change slightly over the months. Couldn't live with backlash from certain members.

Kef R300

ProAc Response D1 or D2

Totem Rainmakers

B&W 805S

PMC TB2i

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 06/11/2010 - 19:40
Posts: 314
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

Thanks. May I ask what made you buy your rs6 as clearly you want to move to stand mounts?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17022
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

I purchased this pair of RS6s (second pair) as I'm familiar with the sound and the price was ideal. They were only meant to be temporarybut two and half years on ....

Not really taken by newer MAs, hence the move away.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

PP, Reason for moving from Floorstanders to standmounts?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17022
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

BigH wrote:

PP, Reason for moving from Floorstanders to standmounts?

None, except for a lack of choice with compact florrstanders.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Arcam A19 vs A28

plastic penguin wrote:

BigH wrote:

PP, Reason for moving from Floorstanders to standmounts?

None, except for a lack of choice with compact florrstanders.

Neats?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments