Have your say & ask the experts!

Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

98 replies [Last post]
hone_u2's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Jan 2013
Posts: 160

Hello people Smile

I have a Mac mini going into a Chord QuteHD...

I have the beautifully made walnut hifi rack from... Hifi racks

Now, I'm a believer in isolation, but as much as i have tried, I've found mostly with the hifi products I've used, that the isolation feet they are equipped with originally do the best job, anything adding onto that just confuses the sonic signature for me if doing anything at all... I know this might sound very strange but I tend to prefer the sound without them. I know they are supposed to get rid of vibrations and sound 'clearer' and more 'articulate' but that doesn't always happen without taking away a few elements from the soundscape... And I feel i don't have much control over the results... Like when I change from a cobra cable to a chameleon cable,  have a vague idea of what that might change, and I'm right... But with isolation, it all goes out of hand for me, as I don't think I'm that clever with it! Sad

So, the Mac mini, I feel has terrible feet, it moves at the slightest push of a feather duster! Just to eliminate that and get it to sit more sturdily I was thinking of black Ravioli isolation... But I don't want it to change the sound... 

Could someone please help! Smile it will truly be appreciated! Any inputs on other isolation things would also be appreciated! Thanks! Smile

 

 

__________________

Mac Mini-->Chord Chameleon-->Chord QuteHD-->ATC CA MK2-->Chord Chameleon XLR-->ATC SCM20 ASL

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11424
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

I did a write up here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/black-ravioli

I think it is very expensive, but can give good results. It is vital that you get a "demo pack" and try it in your system.

Valhalla Technology are worth looking out for as well, and much cheaper: http://www.kronosav.com/accessories/isolation.html

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

MakkaPakka's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2013
Posts: 506
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

Why don't you connect the mac mini to a monitor, put some video or a still image on it then repeatedly nudge it and see if it has any effect on the picture quality. If it doesn't then you can reasonably assume the sound isn't going to be affected by small differences in the surface it's sitting on.

Stopsign's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Jan 2014
Posts: 3
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

if you believe it will make your hifi sound better then it will. but why not believe that putting some cheap rubber underneath everything will make it all sound better and thus save a load of money while getting the same benefit?

mikefarrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 199
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

hello hone -u2, you could try some double sided sticky tape under your components feet to stop them sliding about.

as for isolation, you could try blutack - cheaper than that ravioli product !

davedotco's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2390
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

Does your Mac Mini store music files too....?

If so, then it is imperitive you swap the hard disc for a solid state drive, night and day difference....!

Works on Spotify too, download the tracks to the SSD using Offline Mode, then listen from there. much better than listening online in real time.

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne

Macspur's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 May 2010
Posts: 1893
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

Some acoustifeet from www.acoustiproducts would be ideal for you and very inexpensive. 

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

__________________

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 575
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

hone_u2 wrote:

Hello people Smile

I have a Mac mini going into a Chord QuteHD...

I have the beautifully made walnut hifi rack from... Hifi racks

Now, I'm a believer in isolation, but as much as i have tried, I've found mostly with the hifi products I've used, that the isolation feet they are equipped with originally do the best job, anything adding onto that just confuses the sonic signature for me if doing anything at all... I know this might sound very strange but I tend to prefer the sound without them. I know they are supposed to get rid of vibrations and sound 'clearer' and more 'articulate' but that doesn't always happen without taking away a few elements from the soundscape... And I feel i don't have much control over the results... Like when I change from a cobra cable to a chameleon cable,  have a vague idea of what that might change, and I'm right... But with isolation, it all goes out of hand for me, as I don't think I'm that clever with it! Sad

So, the Mac mini, I feel has terrible feet, it moves at the slightest push of a feather duster! Just to eliminate that and get it to sit more sturdily I was thinking of black Ravioli isolation... But I don't want it to change the sound... 

Could someone please help! Smile it will truly be appreciated! Any inputs on other isolation things would also be appreciated! Thanks! Smile

It is only worth isolating equipment if it is microphonic - it picks up vibration and replays it through the speakers.  Many electronic components change parameters when stressed physically. Valves are the most sensitive, but capacitors and resistors can also be sensitive. HOWEVER, in these days of surface mount components, the components are so small and firmly held that in most cases the problem doesn't exist.

How to tell - turn your amp way up with no music playing. Get a pencil and tap the case of the device you suspect is microphonic.  If you hear something out of the speakers, then it may be worth looking at isolation.  If the speaker remains silent, pour yourself a glass of wine and worry about something else.

__________________

Macspur's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 May 2010
Posts: 1893
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

andyjm wrote:

hone_u2 wrote:

Hello people Smile

I have a Mac mini going into a Chord QuteHD...

I have the beautifully made walnut hifi rack from... Hifi racks

Now, I'm a believer in isolation, but as much as i have tried, I've found mostly with the hifi products I've used, that the isolation feet they are equipped with originally do the best job, anything adding onto that just confuses the sonic signature for me if doing anything at all... I know this might sound very strange but I tend to prefer the sound without them. I know they are supposed to get rid of vibrations and sound 'clearer' and more 'articulate' but that doesn't always happen without taking away a few elements from the soundscape... And I feel i don't have much control over the results... Like when I change from a cobra cable to a chameleon cable,  have a vague idea of what that might change, and I'm right... But with isolation, it all goes out of hand for me, as I don't think I'm that clever with it! Sad

So, the Mac mini, I feel has terrible feet, it moves at the slightest push of a feather duster! Just to eliminate that and get it to sit more sturdily I was thinking of black Ravioli isolation... But I don't want it to change the sound... 

Could someone please help! Smile it will truly be appreciated! Any inputs on other isolation things would also be appreciated! Thanks! Smile

It is only worth isolating equipment if it is microphonic - it picks up vibration and replays it through the speakers.  Many electronic components change parameters when stressed physically. Valves are the most sensitive, but capacitors and resistors can also be sensitive. HOWEVER, in these days of surface mount components, the components are so small and firmly held that in most cases the problem doesn't exist.

How to tell - turn your amp way up with no music playing. Get a pencil and tap the case of the device you suspect is microphonic.  If you hear something out of the speakers, then it may be worth looking at isolation.  If the speaker remains silent, pour yourself a glass of wine and worry about something else.

Just tried your experiment... not a peep, too early for wine though, I'll have a second cup of tea instead.

Smile

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

__________________

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1088
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

How do you use the Mac - do you purely stream low quality from spotify or do you play ripped music from an internal HD.

 

If you are using the Mac to play ripped music there are quite a few things to consider - and I think you are right to consider isolation - especially when ripping CDs.  I would do all my ripping and playback powered off the battery and not plugged in.  Attaching a noisey switching power supply to any systems anywhere in the system adds noise and woresens the sound.  PC environments are extrmely noisey and you have to reduce it as much as possible.  Its also supposed to make the ripped music sound worse as well - I have not tried a linear psu on a disc drive when ripping yet to compare.

 

The Chap is right about playing from an SSD over a standrad HD - however you want the OS on a seperate SSD to the music.  You definately dont want to share the HD.  In Fact if you put the OS on an SSD you can get away with the music files being stored on a Normal External HD Caddy and feed the computer USB or Sata/ Esata to Sata - however there are factors to consider doing that as well such as adding a  linear power supply for the HD Caddy! about £150

 

You can go one better than a SSD for OS - but its only a valid option if you use the pc for music purposes only This is only worth doing if you have a properly optimised Audio PC music transport

 

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 4358
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

Hi hone_u2

Blu Tack.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

__________________

Musicraft (Derby), Specialist Hi-Fi/AV & Multimedia Dealer

 

good accurate audio monitoring and good sound reproduction to all

namefail's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 155
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

davedotco wrote:

Does your Mac Mini store music files too....?

If so, then it is imperitive you swap the hard disc for a solid state drive, night and day difference....!

Works on Spotify too, download the tracks to the SSD using Offline Mode, then listen from there. much better than listening online in real time.

Interesting, would the SSD having to setup a the primary drive with whatever OS running from it as well, and if not would using a pendrive or RAMdrive offer the same benefits. Or (I can supply my own pointy hat and corner) have I just been had?

__________________

If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2390
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

ellisdj wrote:

How do you use the Mac - do you purely stream low quality from spotify or do you play ripped music from an internal HD.

 

If you are using the Mac to play ripped music there are quite a few things to consider - and I think you are right to consider isolation - especially when ripping CDs.  I would do all my ripping and playback powered off the battery and not plugged in.  Attaching a noisey switching power supply to any systems anywhere in the system adds noise and woresens the sound.  PC environments are extrmely noisey and you have to reduce it as much as possible.  Its also supposed to make the ripped music sound worse as well - I have not tried a linear psu on a disc drive when ripping yet to compare.

 

The Chap is right about playing from an SSD over a standrad HD - however you want the OS on a seperate SSD to the music.  You definately dont want to share the HD.  In Fact if you put the OS on an SSD you can get away with the music files being stored on a Normal External HD Caddy and feed the computer USB or Sata/ Esata to Sata - however there are factors to consider doing that as well such as adding a  linear power supply for the HD Caddy! about £150

 

You can go one better than a SSD for OS - but its only a valid option if you use the pc for music purposes only This is only worth doing if you have a properly optimised Audio PC music transport

 

Excellent.

When my new Mackbook arrives I shall keep the OS on the onboard SSD and the files on a separate USB thumb drive. With the 'Book on battery power and connected via a decent USB dac, that should cover most of the bases.

(I keep a small(ish) playlst current that I can load onto my 8GB iPod, so an 8GB thumb drive will keep everything consistent. My main library is on a NAS drive) 

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1088
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

namefail wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Does your Mac Mini store music files too....?

If so, then it is imperitive you swap the hard disc for a solid state drive, night and day difference....!

Works on Spotify too, download the tracks to the SSD using Offline Mode, then listen from there. much better than listening online in real time.

Interesting, would the SSD having to setup a the primary drive with whatever OS running from it as well, and if not would using a pendrive or RAMdrive offer the same benefits. Or (I can supply my own pointy hat and corner) have I just been had?

 

If I understand you correctly - you use the OS SSD as the main drive - not for the music to play back off ideally - you can play files back off a pendrive - but it then uses the USB socket for its power, that degrades quality as it injects noisey pc switching power onto the sound.

There are solutions that use linear or battery power for usb sources

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

namefail's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 155
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

My post above should have read...

Interesting, would the SSD have to be setup as the primary drive with whatever OS running from it, and if not would using a pendrive or RAMdrive offer the same benefits. Or (I can supply my own pointy hat and corner) have I just been had?

Sorry about my  incoherence I sacked my proof reader, poor thing was overworked anyway.

 

__________________

If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2390
RE: Anyone have any experience with Black Ravioli isolation?

namefail wrote:

My post above should have read...

Interesting, would the SSD have to be setup as the primary drive with whatever OS running from it, and if not would using a pendrive or RAMdrive offer the same benefits. Or (I can supply my own pointy hat and corner) have I just been had?

Sorry about my  incoherence I sacked my proof reader, poor thing was overworked anyway.

 

Using the laptop on battery power will make quite a difference, as will moving from a regular hard drive to an SSD.

When using Mrs DDC's iPad, even using Spotify Premium and Airplay via an AEX downloaded (offline) tracks sound better than when listening to real time downloads. 

Rather than worry about mechanical isolation I would be more concerned with electromagnetic isolation. A Faraday Cage around the laptop would be a good solution though it does make it tricky operating the keyboard.

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne