38 posts / 0 new
Last post
roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
RE: Adam ARTist actives

I was thinking something like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, so that I have the volume control and a headphone amp too.

Also, could the stereolink outputs be used to add a subwoofer? My BK has RCA inputs so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

I was thinking something like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, so that I have the volume control and a headphone amp too.

Also, could the stereolink outputs be used to add a subwoofer? My BK has RCA inputs so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

No. The stereo link is purely so that you can use the level control on one spreaker to control both. it is not a line output.

On the other hand, the phono and XLR inputs are usually just wired in series, there is a fair chance that you can use them as a 'link through'. Never actually tried it on this model so check if you are going down this route.

Of course the Dacmagic Plus has both balanced XLR and phono outputs, so connection to A3xs via XLR and to your sub by phono could not be easier.

roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Oh I see, I thought it might have been an alternative to using the XLR and phono outputs on the Dac.

roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Are the Artist 5s often used in a stereo/more hi-fi setup too? Most of the other info I've seen about them has them being used as desktop monitors.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2170
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

Are the Artist 5s often used in a stereo/more hi-fi setup too? Most of the other info I've seen about them has them being used as desktop monitors.

I don't see why they shouldn't work well in a domestic context. For my money, they're rather large to sit on an actual desk and look much better suited to bookshelf use. I haven't heard them though.

I'm expecting the ARTist 3s to arrive tomorrow.

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

Are the Artist 5s often used in a stereo/more hi-fi setup too? Most of the other info I've seen about them has them being used as desktop monitors.

They are an attemt by Adam to produce speakers that are aestheticaly more pleasing than the 'hewn from solid' look of their pro monitors.

The Artist 3 and 5 have built in usb dacs, so quite clearly, they make a simple desktop solution for playing music from a computer, for me the 5 is too large and powerful for the desktop (though it is still pretty small), proper stands are required.

The rather stylish floorstanding Artist 6 does not have a dac, possibly the smallest most friendly active floor stander available.

In the UK at least very few high st dealers carry these speakers, in fact few carry active speakers at all so they are rarely used for hi-fi. 

steve_1979's picture
Online
Last seen: 21 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4122
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Has anyone on this forum heard the Artist 6 speakers? I have to admit that they look absolutely georgous. Possibly even the best looking active speakers available.

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

steve_1979 wrote:

Has anyone on this forum heard the Artist 6 speakers? I have to admit that they look absolutely georgous. Possibly even the best looking active speakers available.

Yes briefly and in less than ideal circumstances, the usual tight, slightly dry Adam signature but on this occasion the high frequencies were rather exposed. I put that down to my usual dislike of AMT based tweeters.

Further experience with the smaller model 5 suggests that this was probably a setup issue, I had no problen getting them to sound really well balanced and would expect to be able to do the same with the 6s.

The latest X-ART tweeter is excellent, at least as good as Elac's JET tweeter as fitted to their remarkable CL330 models, and capable of much higher levels.

byakuya83's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 14/03/2011 - 23:19
Posts: 260
RE: Adam ARTist actives

They do look nice and shiny - ideal domestic, active speaker.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/technical-data

Surprised the amps are more powerful though.

roym90's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2011 - 10:42
Posts: 89
RE: Adam ARTist actives

Would that suggest that they could be described as bright/harsh? Which is the problem I have with my current system.

I'm keen to try some actives partly to avoid the whole amp and speaker matching thing; with different combinations giving a different sound etc.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

roym90 wrote:

Would that suggest that they could be described as bright/harsh? Which is the problem I have with my current system.

I'm keen to try some actives partly to avoid the whole amp and speaker matching thing; with different combinations giving a different sound etc.

No, they are neither bright nor harsh, the latest X-Art tweeters are great. Active speakers of this type do not usually have the 'warmth' of many passive designs, once you adjust you will find going back difficult, at the same sort of price level anyway.

All the Adam speakers have a degree of adjustment built in, makes them pretty easy to adjust for (almost) any room, the power amps are connected directly to the drive units, no loses through passive crossovers so ample power unless you are looking at huge studio/club sound levels.

These speakers are in my view, more neutral and transparent than conventional speakers amps at this sort of price, not everyone gets on with this though, certainly as far as this forum is concerned.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2170
RE: Adam ARTist actives

The ARTist 3s are now set up in my study at home. (Their ultimate destination, if I keep them, is my office at work, but the office move has been delayed by a few days.)

The advantage of having them set up at home for a few days is that I can compare them with my study system. OK, an unfair comparison (£550 actives against a £3K passive system) but it could be interesting nonetheless.

I'll report back later.

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

matt49 wrote:

The ARTist 3s are now set up in my study at home. (Their ultimate destination, if I keep them, is my office at work, but the office move has been delayed by a few days.)

The advantage of having them set up at home for a few days is that I can compare them with my study system. OK, an unfair comparison (£550 actives against a £3K passive system) but it could be interesting nonetheless.

I'll report back later.

Matt

Sounds like fun, careful how you 'mount' the speakers on the desktop, I use these.....

 

 

AudioEngine stands, Adam do something similar.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2170
RE: Adam ARTist actives

davedotco wrote:

Sounds like fun, careful how you 'mount' the speakers on the desktop, I use these.....

 

 

AudioEngine stands, Adam do something similar.

I may need a pair of those for the office, when the speakers will actually be on the desk. For now they're pointing forward off a bookshelf, so no risk of reflections immediately in front of them.

IMG_0870

Mmm, nice inky blacks in that pic ...

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3802
RE: Adam ARTist actives

matt49 wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Sounds like fun, careful how you 'mount' the speakers on the desktop, I use these.....

 

 

AudioEngine stands, Adam do something similar.

I may need a pair of those for the office, when the speakers will actually be on the desk. For now they're pointing forward off a bookshelf, so no risk of reflections immediately in front of them.

IMG_0870

Mmm, nice inky blacks in that pic ...

What about the gloss finish? I found it to be not the greatest to be honest, what are your's like?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments