14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thompsonuxb's picture
369' turn.....doh!

I don't know about you guys, but when I generate a thread that gets over 100 replys I always feel slightly under pressure with the follow up. This is what it must be like to be a pop star...... Blum 3

Anyway not that I want to bore you, but pls allow me to share -Yes I have made the full 360degree turn and gone back, thats right back to the amp I started out with over a year ago before I went on a quest to 'improve'/'upgrade' my stereophonic reproduction. All I've found out is if you have a genuinly good sounding set up., stick with it chances are you'll never be happy with changes and spend your time trying to get new kit to sound like your original kit.

My old amp the Yamaha DSP-AX620 is back!

And I don't know but this generation of amp/reciever (circa 2005) were genuinly outstanding for stereo playback, Ive read other post with the same generation suggesting the same thing about how good these Yamaha are - its shown up a pair of modern £700 amps and basically is a much better all rounder than the rx-a1020, which is superior as a surround amp but in stereo is a little soft through my speakers.

I just had to share

BenLaw's picture
RE: 369' turn.....doh!

If you'd just turned 9 degrees you'd have achieved the same result and be a lot less tired. 

davedotco's picture

Thompsonuxb wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but when I generate a thread that gets over 100 replys I always feel slightly under pressure with the follow up. This is what it must be like to be a pop star...... Blum 3 Anyway not that I want to bore you, but pls allow me to share -Yes I have made the full 360degree turn and gone back, thats right back to the amp I started out with over a year ago before I went on a quest to 'improve'/'upgrade' my stereophonic reproduction. All I've found out is if you have a genuinly good sounding set up., stick with it chances are you'll never be happy with changes and spend your time trying to get new kit to sound like your original kit. My old amp the Yamaha DSP-AX620 is back! And I don't know but this generation of amp/reciever (circa 2005) were genuinly outstanding for stereo playback, Ive read other post with the same generation suggesting the same thing about how good these Yamaha are - its shown up a pair of modern £700 amps and basically is a much better all rounder than the rx-a1020, which is superior as a surround amp but in stereo is a little soft through my speakers. I just had to share

During your quest to upgrade the system by changing the amplifier, did you buy (or otherwise spend time with) any of the other units?

chebby's picture

BenLaw wrote:

If you'd just turned 9 degrees you'd have achieved the same result and be a lot less tired. 

369' = 369 feet.

Should have used the symbol for degrees...

369°

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

davedotco's picture

chebby wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

369' = 369 feet.

369°

Actually since the OP has defined his motion as rotational, then the 369' referes to 369 minutes (of arc)

Or a little over 6º.

Thompsonuxb's picture

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but when I generate a thread that gets over 100 replys I always feel slightly under pressure with the follow up. This is what it must be like to be a pop star...... Blum 3 Anyway not that I want to bore you, but pls allow me to share -Yes I have made the full 360degree turn and gone back, thats right back to the amp I started out with over a year ago before I went on a quest to 'improve'/'upgrade' my stereophonic reproduction. All I've found out is if you have a genuinly good sounding set up., stick with it chances are you'll never be happy with changes and spend your time trying to get new kit to sound like your original kit. My old amp the Yamaha DSP-AX620 is back! And I don't know but this generation of amp/reciever (circa 2005) were genuinly outstanding for stereo playback, Ive read other post with the same generation suggesting the same thing about how good these Yamaha are - its shown up a pair of modern £700 amps and basically is a much better all rounder than the rx-a1020, which is superior as a surround amp but in stereo is a little soft through my speakers. I just had to share

During your quest to upgrade the system by changing the amplifier, did you buy (or otherwise spend time with) any of the other units?

The logic at the time was the set up sounded great - but I wanted more, more ambience, more 3dness, more realism...just more, more texture, more seperation, more!

The speakers, CD player, interconnect, speaker cable had delivered so considering I was using a what was a DSP (reciever) I thought thats were I would gain  ...... but I have to take it that this system has 'synergy', accidental and on paper the sound they'll produce would be nothing special but in the real world, to my ears. it really works.

davedotco's picture

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Fair comment, any chance of answering the question.

The logic at the time was the set up sounded great - but I wanted more, more ambience, more 3dness, more realism...just more, more texture, more seperation, more!

The speakers, CD player, interconnect, speaker cable had delivered so considering I was using a what was a DSP (reciever) I thought thats were I would gain  ...... but I have to take it that this system has 'synergy', accidental and on paper the sound they'll produce would be nothing special but in the real world, to my ears. it really works.

Thompsonuxb's picture

No...no, you guys misunderstand the humour.

369' (were is the degree symbol on the keyboard) means I over rotated or stumbled a little, you know like when you do a spin, like Micheal Jackson use to do, back in the day..... what?... you don't get it?...  thats the extra 9 degrees

chebby's picture

davedotco wrote:

chebby wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

369' = 369 feet.

369°

Actually since the OP has defined his motion as rotational, then the 369' referes to 369 minutes (of arc)

Or a little over 6º.

It's also possible he could have turned both 369 feet and 369° (if he was walking around a circle with a circumference of 360 feet).

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Thompsonuxb's picture

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

no, it was the amp i wanted to upgrade ......why?

BenLaw's picture

chebby wrote:

davedotco wrote:

chebby wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

369' = 369 feet.

369°

Or a little over 6º.

It's also possible he could have turned both 369 feet and 369° (if he was walking around a circle with a circumference of 360 feet).

:grin: It's also possible it took him 369 minutes (if he was going at approximately 0.0114 mph). 

matthewpiano's picture

Ultiamtely, if a particular set-up works best for you, then its the right one and prices, names, and reputation don't make a jot of difference.  If you enjoy the Yamaha so much more than your newer amps, then stick with it and enjoy the music.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

davedotco's picture

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Sorry I was not clear.

What I was trying (and failing) to ask was whether you were able to try any of the other amplifiers (units) in your system, live with then a while maybe, and if so, what your rections were.

Thompsonuxb's picture

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Sorry I was not clear.

What I was trying (and failing) to ask was whether you were able to try any of the other amplifiers (units) in your system, live with then a while maybe, and if so, what your rections were.

Yes 3 amps.

Audiolab 8200a a month, Rotel ra-1520 a year and more recently the Yamaha RX-A1020 (now resigned to 5.1 duties).

The 8200a was not a nice amp in my system - good looking , solid build but the sound was not to my taste shall we say. sound did change but found it siblant & harsh with a detached bass (I'm sure I had a faulty one - but it put me off the brand)

The 1520 was better, but lacked something music lacked body/timbre it was a fatiguing amp in my system narrow and shallow sound stage, voices lacked realism but it was clean sounding.

The 1020 is complicated and requires alot of tweeking which needs a tv - generally good midrange, wide soundstage - soft bass and rounded top end - but funnily enough it sounds great in 5.1 - really weird it controls a sub really well (will try it again one day)

I do agree with something you said the other day - these modern amps are designed to deliver their peek levels at around the 9 o'clock mark. This I found with these amps - it was useful if playing a CD with a very low EQ level - but the scope was very narrow for listening.really poor attenuation.