44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joe Cox's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 31/05/2007 - 10:07
Posts: 2166
21st century radiogram, anyone?

Brand new Ruark Audio R7...  :O

Thoughts?

Editor, whathifi.com

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6640
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

I have no idea who the target market is for a product of that price and with those features but looking like that. Ridiculous. 

I am the danger. 

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 27/03/2011 - 19:54
Posts: 1365
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Anyone for table football?! :shifty:

Covenanter's picture
Online
Last seen: 16 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1849
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

When I was a teenager (in the 1960s) we had a gramophone that looked like that.  It looks gorgeous to me!

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

GMK
GMK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 23/01/2009 - 01:29
Posts: 340
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Many women are scared of spiders. The WAF will be tiny

simonlewis's picture
Online
Last seen: 39 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 4272
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

I have just two questions, is it available in other colours & will john lewis be selling it. :?

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 27/03/2011 - 19:54
Posts: 1365
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Covenanter wrote:

When I was a teenager (in the 1960s) we had a gramophone that looked like that.  It looks gorgeous to me!

Chris

My nan's was like a sideboard :grin:
chebby's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 17196
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

It was bound to happen.

Even Linn have done one...

Geneva Sounds too...

 

I can't see anything wrong with the idea.

I'd want to see a little more flair with the Ruark styling though.

 

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme • AirPlay • Quad Vena • Rega R3

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6640
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

simonlewis wrote:

I have just two questions, is it available in other colours & will john lewis be selling it. :?

 

You want one? You could always sand and paint it if you want another colour. 

I am the danger. 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6640
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

chebby wrote:

It was bound to happen.

Even Linn have done one...

Geneva Sounds too...

 

I can't see anything wrong with the idea.

I'd want to see a little more flair with the Ruark styling though.

 

 

My perplexity can now be edited. I never knew you had it in you Chebby...

I am the danger. 

chebby's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 17196
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

BenLaw wrote:

I have no idea who the target market is for a product of that price and with those features but looking like that. Ridiculous. 

Not people who like racks full of ugly steel and anodised aluminium boxes with cables sprouting everywhere out the back.

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme • AirPlay • Quad Vena • Rega R3

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 27/03/2011 - 19:54
Posts: 1365
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Talking of racks,lap of what?! :shifty:

chebby's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 17196
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Who changed my Geneva Sounds picture?

Can mods intervene?

It should have shown one of these...

http://www.genevalab.com/media/catalog/product/x/x/xxl-r1.jpg

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme • AirPlay • Quad Vena • Rega R3

Joe Cox's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 31/05/2007 - 10:07
Posts: 2166
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

Looks fine to me, Chebby!  ROFL

Editor, whathifi.com

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6640
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

chebby wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I have no idea who the target market is for a product of that price and with those features but looking like that. Ridiculous. 

Not people who like racks full of ugly steel and anodised aluminium boxes with cables sprouting everywhere out the back.

 

I would have thought most people who are into that style of furniture with the spindly legs have a sense of style based in something like the 70s, maybe earlier. If they're into spending £2k on hifi I'd expect most of them to be into old school separates. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see many 21st century men / women who are into streaming and digital sources, and who have £2k to spend also having tastes that include those spindly legs. But maybe I'm blinded by personal (dis)taste.

 

Edit: the Geneva at least has contemporary styling. Don't know what Linn were thinking of, of course, at least Ruark's has a style.

I am the danger. 

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Last seen: 32 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 14225
RE: 21st century radiogram, anyone?

GMK wrote:

Many women are scared of spiders. The WAF will be tiny

"Ruark Arachnid" has a good ring to it.  :roll:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments