1000-1500 euro bookshelf speakers for rotel ra 1520 amp
hello, it's me again with my B&W 602 S3 speakers on the rotel ra 1520 amp. sorry for spamming these forums with my silly questiions by the way. anywho, after reading some reviews and also listening to some speakers, i'm starting to feel the need for a more spacious sound. i like how my speakers sound with my new amp, but the problem i have with them is that i can hear where the sound is coming from. so i'm looking for some nice speakers to place on some piece of furniture (no room for dedicated stands, + i have a clumsy dog, so stands are really out of the question for now) to go well with my amp.
with the risk of sounding repetitive to people who read my previous posts, i'll write as much as i can about the music and sound i like, also my room size.
music: classick rock, progressive rock and metal (pink floyd, transatlantic, focus, yes, dream theater), some electronica or trip-hop bands (zero 7, air, morcheeba), some classical (rachmaninov, beethoven, debussy), and the occasional prodigy and drum and base. i know, it's a lot of different genres, which makes this a bit difficult.
room: my room is 3.3/5.4/2.5 (W/L/H in meters). the speakers will be positioned against the 3.3 meter wall. also, i think i'll be geting a carpet
gear: main source is a pc for now, and the forseable future. it has an M-Audio delta 1010lt soundcard in it for now, but a DAC will be coming within the year. (sidequestion here: i've been reading a lot of good things about arcam rDac, rega DAC and MF VDAC II - are they worth a listen? i have only listened to Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, which sounded great with marantz and creek audio amps)
what i'm looking for: basically i would like holographic, spacey, smooth and accurate sound, with plenty of detail. I would like not to notice where the sound is coming from, a deep and big soundstage. My speakers will be positioned like 25 cm away from the wall, and I want the bass to sound good and present, but never boomy or wooly. (sorry if i'm not using the correct words). Also I would like smooth trebble, never harsh.
MY CURRENT SHORTLIST IS:
- B&W 685 (yes, i know they're cheap, and perhaps in a lower category, but I would give them a listen, because I like the B&W and Rotel sinergy a lot).
- XTZ 99.26 mkII - i have auditioned the cheaper XTZ 93.23 and I was really impressed with the sound they produced(especially for their price) but with other amps, and I don't know how well they would go with the Rotel amp.
from here down it's only reviews I'm basing my choices on
- Elac BS244 - from what I read I'm wondering if they would sound too bright and bassy with rotel and positioning + room size? Also, their nominal impedance is 4 ohm and on the website it says they require at least 50W of amplification. Rotel says it has 60, and mesurements in reviews place it at around 95 - but i'm rather noobish at all this stuff.
- PMC DB1i - reviews says it lacks some detail and magic the Spendors provide.
- Spendor SA1 - for the time being, this is the most likely candidate from what I've read. I read though that they're a bit insensitive, and I'm wondering if my Rotel has enough juice to drive them and drive them good. Also considering the cheaper Spendor S3-5R2. Second issue - is their bass that feint as some people say, or is it enough? Note that I don't need my walls to tremble in order to enjoy music, but I don't want the bass to be absent either, I want for music to sound magical and whimsical, even if it's metal - if you can immagine that.
Thanks a bunch in advance, and please help me making my shortlist as informed as possible.