33 posts / 0 new
Last post
dalethorn's picture
V-MODA M-100 headphone - my review and pictures
English

Another look at this interesting new headphone... http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/headphone-reviews/2804-v-moda-m-100-stereo-headphone-review-dale.html

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture
RE: V-MODA M-100 headphone - my review and pictures

Cool review and pics Dale! 

You're too used to hifiheadphones Dale, you can post pics here you know Blum 3

dalethorn's picture

Ah - my very primitive M100 images. I just walked outside the flat and put the headphone on the wood railing, with a black binder underneath, then fired off a few bursts with my Panasonic LX7. I didn't even check the settings, so the images were rather blue and I had to do a fast shuffle with the color layers. Still, the white parts are pretty well burnt out, either in the "photography", or my post processing in Paint Shop Pro v6.

BTW, someone added a new review on U.S. Amazon with a "Night before xmas" story embedded in it. Worth checking out. His impressions are well in line with what we found.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

dalethorn's picture

And here's an extended video review comparing other premium headphones plus a discussion of portability -vs- transportability.

http://youtu.be/bdg_l6L9D5k

dalethorn's picture

I thought I should update this topic with the last couple weeks of accumulated experience. My original impression of the M100 out of the box, and comparing that with Edd's review hasn't changed. Played without EQ, it sounds like listening to music at the end of a tunnel (albeit a short tunnel), with dollops of bass added to that. With bass reducer, the bass compares very well to the Senn Momentum, the treble is slightly better than the Momentum, and the mids are darker, warmer, and less dry. I went back to the Momentum for a few hours and enjoyed the sound, but it felt like something was missing, like gently withdrawing from an addictive drug. So I can't say that the M100 represents better fidelity, but the effect is still working, which is amazing enough. Absolute fidelity aside, I think I'm as close to my ideal sound as I've ever been, and the things I would most like to improve are: A slight change in the mids to reduce the 'tunnel sound' effect (which isn't bad after reducing the bass), and a very small change in the upper presence area to mitigate a slight hardness or sibilance, which is just audible on a few music tracks.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

If you get a chance, listen to your playlist on some ' burned in ' DT 770 Pro AE's. I own both the DT's and the V-Moda's, and I would be very interested in any observations you may have if you get a chance to listen to the DT's  Dirol

dalethorn's picture

Finguz wrote:
If you get a chance, listen to your playlist on some ' burned in ' DT 770 Pro AE's. I own both the DT's and the V-Moda's, and I would be very interested in any observations you may have if you get a chance to listen to the DT's  8)

I was very interested in that anniversary edition, but didn't buy because of the published response curves for the regular edition. The bass being up 6 to 8 db I can handle with bass reduction on ipods etc., like I do with the M100. But I can't also correct the big treble peak around 9 khz, which is way above the M100 result. And the M100 is my limit for treble after bass reduction. So if anyone knows what the sound is like for the 88th anniversary edition, that would be good to know.

Edit: I didn't realize you already had the AE, so maybe you can tell me if the AE has the peak I see in the FR graphs, or if any treble peaks are audible with the AE that exceed treble in the M100.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

To be brutally honest, you need to listen to them yourself. My ears may be nothing like yours, and my opinion might put you off. Suffice to say that the AE's are very worthy of an audition. If there's one thing my years of hi-fi listening have taught me, it's to ignore reviews/individual opinions and go have a listen.

They're bangin', crystal clear and fatigue free....so to speak.

Everything from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8eNXv97YFY&list=FLA8qURgNEpssbfT4OGiN97Q <--this to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhU1JFVhMQE&list=FLA8qURgNEpssbfT4OGiN97Q  sounds wonderful to these ears!

John Mayer would love these cans, possibly, depending on his ears of course  Wink

dalethorn's picture

Finguz wrote:
To be brutally honest, you need to listen to them yourself. My ears may be nothing like yours, and my opinion might put you off. Suffice to say that the AE's are very worthy of an audition. If there's one thing my years of hi-fi listening have taught me, it's to ignore reviews/individual opinions and go have a listen.

I'm not able to have a listen. If I order them and don't like them it will cost me a lot to return them (more than most people). But I didn't need an opinion anyway, and levels of hearing won't matter. I just need to know, comparing the 770 and M100, if the HF output you hear around 8.5 khz with the 770 is much stronger than the 8.5 khz output you hear with the M100, using test tones, when both headphones volume sound about the same for average music playback. If there's a difference but the difference doesn't seem like a lot, then it's a better risk for me.

When I do such tests and set comparable volume levels for 2 different headphones, I usually use music that has a broad spectrum of frequencies active at the same time, with fairly steady volume. David Bowie's Suffragette City, DC5's Any Way You Want It, Elastica's Annie, etc.

Thank you!!

dalethorn's picture

I wasted several more hours reading reviews of the 770 LE, and apparently the highs are just shy of scorching hot, i.e. nothing whatever like the M100. Is this what everyone is afraid to talk about?

quadpatch's picture

I have both the M100 and DT770 LE. To me and everyone I have leant them to the VModa sounds pretty awful for the price and the DT770 LE sounds pretty amazing. I had to look up the graph for DT770 and it does look a bit scary so I guess this is another example of how you just can't rely on technical data to tell you how somethings sounds. I've seen the DT770 for almost half the cost of the M100, but even if it was the other way around I wouldn't recommend the M100. 

I see the original DT770 Pro being used a lot for studio recording and if it was that bad in the treble or bass as it looks on the graph people wouldn't touch it with a barge poll.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Afraid to talk about?  The DT 770 AE's sound fantastic, and I returned the V-moda's this morning, sorry I can't help with the comparison. I can tell you that the V-modas are quite simply not anywhere near the same league as the Beyers.

I can't force you to try the DT's, but you really should :?

dalethorn's picture

Finguz wrote:
Afraid to talk about?  The DT 770 AE's sound fantastic, and I returned the V-moda's this morning, sorry I can't help with the comparison. I can tell you that the V-modas are quite simply not anywhere near the same league as the Beyers. I can't force you to try the DT's, but you really should :?

The M100 sounds wonderful with bass reduction. Did you try bass reduction (per my review) for a good length of time? I'm guessing no.

The 770 (I suspect) sounds very hot around 8.5 khz compared to the M100, but everyone is afraid to talk about it, and compare it directly to the M100.

Why should I pay $250 USD to make that comparison when everyone I talk to on a forum (like here) is unwilling to do it for free? You set the volumes the same and then play 8 to 9 khz tones on each and listen. How hard would that be? I do those things a hundred times over for people.

quadpatch's picture

dalethorn wrote:

The M100 sounds wonderful with bass reduction. Did you try bass reduction (per my review) for a good length of time? I'm guessing no.

The 770 (I suspect) sounds very hot around 8.5 khz compared to the M100, but everyone is afraid to talk about it, and compare it directly to the M100.

Why should I pay $250 USD to make that comparison when everyone I talk to on a forum (like here) is unwilling to do it for free? You set the volumes the same and then play 8 to 9 khz tones on each and listen. How hard would that be? I do those things a hundred times over for people.

I tried the M100 with bass reduction and don't think it made it sound great. It helps, but I don't think you should have to do it for any headphone to make it sound right. I haven't tried test tones on the DT770 LE because I'm away at the moment but even if it sounds bad who cares, with music it sounds great and what puzzles me more is that apparently the DT770 bass can't even be compensated for, but yet doesn't even need eq to sound fantastic and pretty flat compared to the M100, which sounds dull and lifelly by comparison (without eq).

dalethorn's picture

I hear flat from around 30 hz to about 11 khz, with a gentle rolloff below and above, so that 16 khz becomes my limit, and then it's faint. But still, that range is good for hi-fi listening, and with 30 years experience on everything from Stax and Koss electrostatics to my latest 3 years with a Senn HD800 and some small but decent amps, I find that the M100 with bass reduction (and without EQ distortion) is a great sound, though having a distinct "dark" coloration. There's a world of "flat" or "neutral" headphones out there, some of which I've had (Senn 580/600/650/800, Soundmagic HP100, v-moda M80, Grado PS500 etc. etc.), and while all of those provide a classic "hi-fi" experience, they don't provide a satisfactory emotional experience with most of my low quality recordings.

I would go further with this and say that, while I would love to have high quality recordings only, that appears to be available mainly as an intellectual pursuit (classical, some jazz perhaps) rather than an emotional pursuit, where I have luxuriated mostly for those aforementioned decades. Going further, I'd suggest that the M100 with an excellent bass reduction does a far better job with high quality recordings than the previously noted "flat" headphones do with low quality recordings, hence the M100 is more suitable (and enjoyable) with such a mixed collection.

dalethorn's picture

And with the DT770 AE, my request wasn't for a vague opinion for long-term consideration. It was for a precise answer for purchasing the item quickly before supplies of it disappeared forever. With all of the resources I have on all the forums I post on, nobody who had the 770 on hand would so much as make an attempt to answer the question.

Pages