26 posts / 0 new
Last post
quadpatch's picture
V-Moda M-100 - Full Review

Finally here is my full review of the review of the V-Moda M-100. I have struggled to write this one for a little while now, but the wait is finally over...

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/v-moda-m-100-review.html

I will also be writing a joint review with another reviewer, who won the M-100 in a competition, on Headfonia soon. I will post a link to that here as soon as it's done.

dalethorn's picture
RE: V-Moda M-100 - Full Review

This is one of those rare reviews that tells me the thing I need to know the most - exactly how it sounds. Which is not an easy thing to do even when you know how it sounds, because terms like "bassy" or "bright" etc. don't mean much without a solid set of sound quality references that readers can relate to. This one gets it done - good job.

BTW, the main photo reminds me of something that would go well with a B52 or SR71, and how appropriate that the design uses those mil-spec standards. If nothing else, I'll buy it just to impress the heck out of the locals here in the Southern U.S.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture

Thanks very much Dale!! that's really kind of you... unlike me with this review Blum 3

I absolutely love the look of these things! I'm not sure reading my own review would quite put me off them for portable use. Not only do they look like a tank (a sexy one at that) but they really are built like one! At least they do respond to EQ fairly well, Actually very well on the M-DAC, the M-100's truly love the M-DAC through JRiver's 64bit EQ, but it's £600! That's about twice the cost of the headphone! Actually I never did work out how much the M-100 ended up costing me, let me check... £270-280.

OK I just returned to the SoundMAGIC HP100... Wow, even EQ'ing the M-100's bass down it's so much more in your face than the HP100, it's ridiculous and I know the SoundMAGIC is not exactly weak. It actually takes a while to get back into the SoundMAGIC after the M-100 but OMG do I love this headphone - so smooth and well balanced! 

Speaking of the SoundMAGIC I was scanning the Amazon site today and another reviewer has given it 1 star due to signal loss *sigh* Sad

PS. I appreciate the aircraft style references! Maybe because I know exactly what they are without looking them up this style suits me well. How about a SPAS 12 or FN Herstal F2000 for small-arms?

dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
OK I just returned to the SoundMAGIC HP100... Wow, even EQ'ing the M-100's bass down it's so much more in your face than the HP100, it's ridiculous and I know the SoundMAGIC is not exactly weak.

So basically they took the M80 and turned it into the AmperiorM80, or something like that. Perfect for head-fi.

quadpatch wrote:
Speaking of the SoundMAGIC I was scanning the Amazon site today and another reviewer has given it 1 star due to signal loss *sigh* :(

But he "would have" given it 4 stars except for a product defect. Another user had a defect too. I wonder if they have QC problems like Logitech?

quadpatch wrote:
How about a SPAS 12 or FN Herstal F2000 for small-arms?

Those are very nice for routing varmints out of the brush, but I usually avoid the brush. I like the old bolt-action pistols like the Remington XP100. There may be better quality versions of those.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture

I was mostly going for design there but an interesting weapon of choice there! Hey if we're going for pistols mine's a Kimber (I prefer bolt action on my rifles). OK back to headphones :P. I notice that the Amazon US site review for the HP100 is written only by you :). I must drop a 5 star review on the UK site!!

dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
I notice that the Amazon US site review for the HP100 is written only by you :). I must drop a 5 star review on the UK site!!

Good idea, since the low-ball reviews were written about items that were known to be defective. If the item sounded bad but weren't known to be defective, the negative review would make sense. When there were so many defective Logitechs up front I was really curious how it would end up, and now I don't hear much (very quiet), yet the Apple stores are maintaining them prominently as 2 of the 12 headphones on display, so they should be selling lots of them. My contact with Logitech said to me that they are totally out of touch with customers - just a mass merchandiser who don't really care about the product quality as long as the retailer just swaps them. I mention all that because there were 2 or 3 defective HP100's in those few reviews I found, and I do know that Soundmagic does a lot of OEM, so I wonder if they are more or less customer-centric than Logitech.

quadpatch's picture

Yeah I'm curious about this. Logitech are very good in this country for customer service dealt with directly. I've had problems with keyboards before (nto cheap ones) and they just send me another one no questions asked. As for them actually caring about the product issues I'm not so sure. I wonder what SoundMAGIC are actually like to deal with on defects also, I did notice that they include a 2 year waranty with the HP100, but it seems like the Amazon buyers were content with getting a refund from Amazon and giving up on the headphone entirely :(.

I have posted my review and given 5 stars but with 2 bad reviews alreay this won't help make them stand out much.

Zubkabera's picture

Hi Quadpatch,

I was waiting for HP100 to appear in stock but then like you saw another reviewer gave it 1 star because of defects which has put me off and now I am not sure to take a gamble of my hard earned money, so now back to square one on my hunt for best OTH under 200, I am now again more leaning towards AKG550 specially the price has dropped by another 20 quid to 157 which is very attractive.

Any other advice!!

quadpatch's picture

Hey Zubkabera, I guess you didn't read my review of the K550, otherwise you wouldnt be asking about it. I certainly wouldn't recommend the K550 over the HP100! Is there any way that I can convince you that the HP100 is worth the risk? It comes with a 2 year warranty :).

I have heard great things about the new Beyerdynamic DT770 Limited Edition and should be able to report back about that very soon but some of the prices I've seen for that are crazy! I saw £290 yesterday!!

UPDATE: Actually everywhere else seems to be selling the DT770 LE for £300!! It seems to be the standard price, which is a little odd considering the standard version is about £130. Although there doesn't seem to be many changes, no extras to speak of and a very basic box. On face value it seems like even more of a rip-off than the Sennheiser Amperior (vs the HD25-1 II). Although reading the Headfonia review they found that it sounds quite improved! But Beyer don't say anything about them changing anything other than the pads - weird! Oh well I will report back as soon as I've heard it.

dalethorn's picture

I read the Innfidelity review, and my eyes have it as more critical even than yours. Tyll used the "fun" clause as best he could but those euphemisms didn't save the M100 from the cold hard facts of his measurements and analysis. Still, if I ever go to work for Her Majesty or Junior here across the pond, I'll borrow some of that shuck'n'jive from IF's M100 review.

Zubkabera's picture

Thanks Quadpatch for reassuring your judgement on HP100 I will keep an eye on availability and hope that may be new stock will not have same issues as others.

In the mean time I have question for Dale, out of your own stock of headphones "Shure 1840, Sennheiser Momentum, ATH ESW9a, Phiaton MS300/400, VModa M80, B&W P5, "which is your preferred headphone to use with DF Smile

dalethorn's picture

Zubkabera wrote:
In the mean time I have question for Dale, out of your own stock of headphones "Shure 1840, Sennheiser Momentum, ATH ESW9a, Phiaton MS300/400, VModa M80, B&W P5, "which is your preferred headphone to use with DF

I've been scratching my head for awhile over 'DF', but other than Donald Fagen I'm coming up blank.

Zubkabera's picture

Can you please eloborate ? thanks. Embarassed

quadpatch's picture

dalethorn wrote:

Zubkabera wrote:
In the mean time I have question for Dale, out of your own stock of headphones "Shure 1840, Sennheiser Momentum, ATH ESW9a, Phiaton MS300/400, VModa M80, B&W P5, "which is your preferred headphone to use with DF

I've been scratching my head for awhile over 'DF', but other than Donald Fagen I'm coming up blank.

Yeah I tried to think what that could be for a while. You'll have to tell us Zubkabera, what does 'DF' stand for, was it a typo or did the smiley mess it up?
quadpatch's picture

dalethorn wrote:

I read the Innfidelity review, and my eyes have it as more critical even than yours. Tyll used the "fun" clause as best he could but those euphemisms didn't save the M100 from the cold hard facts of his measurements and analysis. Still, if I ever go to work for Her Majesty or Junior here across the pond, I'll borrow some of that shuck'n'jive from IF's M100 review.

You know what I only skim read it before and now I have finally read it properly and I see what you mean. Hmm, oh well. Does that puts you off buying them for good then? 
Zubkabera's picture

Hi Quadpatch I mean Audioquest Dragonfly, I have got one and currently using it with my Grado SR80 and wondering if new pair of OTH headphone will take the best out of DF.

Pages