27 posts / 0 new
Last post
quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

SteveR750 wrote:
The general consensus of the expert web opinions is that the Iphone is slightly better than the S3, which given Apple's history with the iPod you'd expect no less.

If the S5 when it arrives, has a similarly specced audio chipset, then it will be worth considering IMO. Not sure what the one X uses, as tis is getting good reviews for SQ

I definitely wouldn't say the iPhone is better than the Wolfson Galaxy phones. Not all iPhones are the same either, the iPhone 5 goes even louder than the 4 (which was already good), but it is a little less accurate too.

Too much of the current differences between the iPhone and Wolfson Galaxy's are based on highly subjective tonality and differences with volume etc. I can't help wondering whether "expert web opinions" are basing their conclusion on these things, as well as too many other functionality differences when judging overal "audio quality".

Apple should really know what they're doing with sound because of the iPod legacy, but I can't help wondering why they make such huge glaring mistakes - like leaving out 'apt X' from their bluetooth audio. That uttery destroys wireless sound quality, unless you add a £50 dongle, which you can't even do with the iPhone 5 yet. Also removing the analogue line out with the iPhone 5 so you can't directly add a headphone amp (like you could on all the old models) is a huge kick in the teeth for audio enthusiasts. If they made that stupid lightniing connector for 'digital' benefits then I point to the huge licence fees they charge to DAC manufacturers to unlock the digital code, raping the value of any compatible products. Compare that to the fact that new galaxy phones support 'standard USB audio' out with their phones for free, as well as including 'apt X' codec support as standard. So no, I don't think that Apple care about audio enthusiasts, like everything else they do it's all about money and it makes people resent them.

OK, rant over... I meant to say Galaxy Note 3 or S5 that is looking to be using a high-end wolfson chip - fingers crossed for that :).

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 07/12/2011 - 21:10
Posts: 1208
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

It isn't just audiophiles that Apple doesn't like. I went into their Cupertino HQ in January 1981 to apply for a job, and in ther cavernous waiting room was a smallish desk at one end of the room, where a young woman was seated. She was polishing up her nails and seemed bothered that I would intrude. She handed me a form and said "Fill this out", and when I looked around, she said "At home - we don't do interviews unless we select your application".

I ended up at Olympic Sales, an Apple dealer, and after selling (and expertly supporting) more Apple II's than anyone in the world, Apple canceled us as a dealer, due to us selling mailorder. The Apple II product quality was problem enough, but their floppy drives had a common and annoying tendency to fail and erase diskettes in the process. Later on I worked in a shop with 3 Mac salespeople and one PC guy (me), and I felt sorry for the Mac users, due to horrible bugs and general bad quality.

When Steve Jobs came back and created the iPod revolution, he truly rescued Apple from oblivion, but he wasn't able to fix the snooty culture problem there. In fact, he tended to contribute to that problem, in some ways that I saw in person in Beverly Hills. It may be that the bad can't fixed without compromising the good as well. Right now I can buy a wide range of products at the local Apple store and all of those will have superior quality, both physical quality and sound quality. I can get good sound quality in some Sony products for example, but not physical quality.

So for me the bottom line is: If I have to contend with some arrogance and elitism in order to get superior products, so be it. But I'm thankful for Android and others who keep the pressure on.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Jason36's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 23/07/2008 - 10:40
Posts: 1001
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

quadpatch wrote:

Also removing the analogue line out with the iPhone 5 so you can't directly add a headphone amp (like you could on all the old models) is a huge kick in the teeth for audio enthusiasts.

The iPhone does have the analogue out to use with an external DAC and Amp.......I have just bought a lightning to USB and Lightning to Mini jack cables. Somi can connect my iPhone 5 to either my AlgoRhythm Solo DAC and then from that into my Rx Mk3......or directly into either the Rx or Rendition1 amp via the Lightning to 3.5mm.

Personally I don't think the iphone5 is as good as the 4S for music purposes.....however that is just my opinion of course. Personally I much prefer my AK100 as a DAP (and it plays HiRes music)....however my 4S or IPad 4 are my portable Spotify players via the Solo DAC.

quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Jason36 wrote:

quadpatch wrote:

Also removing the analogue line out with the iPhone 5 so you can't directly add a headphone amp (like you could on all the old models) is a huge kick in the teeth for audio enthusiasts.

The iPhone does have the analogue out to use with an external DAC and Amp.......I have just bought a lightning to USB and Lightning to Mini jack cables. Somi can connect my iPhone 5 to either my AlgoRhythm Solo DAC and then from that into my Rx Mk3......or directly into either the Rx or Rendition1 amp via the Lightning to 3.5mm.

Personally I don't think the iphone5 is as good as the 4S for music purposes.....however that is just my opinion of course. Personally I much prefer my AK100 as a DAP (and it plays HiRes music)....however my 4S or IPad 4 are my portable Spotify players via the Solo DAC.

Hi Jason,

 I think you're getting confused between the normal headphone socket and the old 'line out' from the LOD of the iPhone 4s and previous. The iPhone 5 doesn't have the latter and can't output analogue through its lightning port. The optional extra that allows this adds another DAC to the chain, bypassing its internal one. The Solo DAC works because the iPhone is all it supports and they have to pay licence fees to Apple to get that to work.

I must say I'm curious about the K100. Maybe we can meet up at the Head fi meet Smile

Jason36's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 23/07/2008 - 10:40
Posts: 1001
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

quadpatch wrote:

Jason36 wrote:

quadpatch wrote:

Also removing the analogue line out with the iPhone 5 so you can't directly add a headphone amp (like you could on all the old models) is a huge kick in the teeth for audio enthusiasts.

The iPhone does have the analogue out to use with an external DAC and Amp.......I have just bought a lightning to USB and Lightning to Mini jack cables. Somi can connect my iPhone 5 to either my AlgoRhythm Solo DAC and then from that into my Rx Mk3......or directly into either the Rx or Rendition1 amp via the Lightning to 3.5mm.

Personally I don't think the iphone5 is as good as the 4S for music purposes.....however that is just my opinion of course. Personally I much prefer my AK100 as a DAP (and it plays HiRes music)....however my 4S or IPad 4 are my portable Spotify players via the Solo DAC.

Hi Jason,

 I think you're getting confused between the normal headphone socket and the old 'line out' from the LOD of the iPhone 4s and previous. The iPhone 5 doesn't have the latter and can't output analogue through its lightning port. The optional extra that allows this adds another DAC to the chain, bypassing its internal one. The Solo DAC works because the iPhone is all it supports and they have to pay licence fees to Apple to get that to work.

I must say I'm curious about the K100. Maybe we can meet up at the Head fi meet Smile

 

ha you are quite right actually mate......I think the venturecraft products work as well on the same basis as the CLASS Solo. But yes you are quite restricted on that basis.

The AK100 is actually a great little DAP....unfortunately I have just had to send mine back for repair as it won't turn on unless I connect it to the mains via the sync cable. Should have it back in two weeks though Smile 

Yes I plan on being in London for the Head-Fi meet and you are more than welcome to have a listen and play with the AK100.....however it does tend to be extremely fussy with headphones and IEM's due to its 22 Ohm output impedance. My Tzar 350 and Aurisonics are fine with it though.....and if I add the Heir Audio Rendition 1 portable amp then that's just on another plane completely especially with the Tzar 350 Smile

I will also have the CLAS Solo and Rx Mk3-B with me and more than likely my modded T70p's

Also just as an aside I noticed you mentioned nearly buying a pair of Sony MDR Z1000 but missed out. There is a guy selling a pair in Europe for €230 over on that well know headphone site Wink if your interested.

Jay

quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

I have decided to stop buying headphones now. Although I just bought some Amperior's on Amazon for £129 :(. Funnily enough that's how much the Z1000 was on play.com, but missed that by a few hours... Oh well. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the other Sony offer :).

I really wanted to go to the first head-fi meet in London, but I was away in Mexico picking up tropical deseases :(. I can't wait for the next meet up and will definitely try to make it! Hmmm now what should I bring?... The Denon AH-D7000 I guess, maybe the Mad Dog, probably the Amperior will be around my neck and whatever I am testing at the time I'll probably bring too. I would love to hear the AK100 and the T70p too if you bring them Smile

Jason36's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 23/07/2008 - 10:40
Posts: 1001
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Hi Ed,

 

I plan on taking the following with me:

- ALO Rx Mk3-B portable Amp

- AlgoRhythm Solo DAC

- iPhone 4S

- Astell & Kern AK100

- Modified iPod with 120Gb CF Card

- Heir Audio Rendition 1 Portable Amplifier

- Heir Audio Tzar 350 IEM

- Aurisonics ASG 1.2 IEM

- Beyerdynamic T70p with Dual Entry Mod and Forza AudioWorks Claire Cable

 

In addition to these I may have anything else I buy between now and then Smile

quadpatch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 28/03/2011 - 19:04
Posts: 881
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Hi Jason,

That's a big list of stuff! I see your collection is a bit more portable than mine is, which is handy for the show, most of my stuff is powered and thus would be too big/heavy or rather pointless to bring.

I am curious which you prefer the audio quality of between the Solo +RX mkIII and the AK100? and how much did the former cost you? (if you don't mind me asking).

 

Jason36's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 23/07/2008 - 10:40
Posts: 1001
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Hi Ed,

Yeah a good collection of portable stuff now, which too be honest what most of my listening is done on.....with the exception of the Schiit Modi / Magni in the office.

The Class Solo and Mk3 is an excellent sounding rig and of course means I can bypass the DAC section of iDevices....which to my ears is a vast sound improvement. The Rx is also capable of driving high impedance cans as well as IEM's (albeit with some slight hiss on low impedance IEM's). 

The Ak100 is also an excellent sounding DAP (major benefit being it can play Hi Res files up to 24/192kHz......a little unfair to compare to the Solo and Rx as they can only give you what the iDevice can output. However I would say that the AK100 is a better sounding device than say my iPhone4S / Solo / Rx combo. If I want to listen to Ripped ALAC CD's I would use my AK100 most of the time. If I connect the AK100 to the Rendition 1 amp and use with my Tzar 350 I would say this is an exceptional set-up with amazing soundstage and clarity, especially with female vocals and Jazz.

Both of the rigs have their benefits to me, if I want an ultra portable, put in my pocket system I would use the AK100. If I'm at home or in the garden then I will go to the Rx/Solo rig. The Solo/Rx rig is also my go to choice if I want to listen to stuff on Spotify via my iPhone4S or iPad 4 or if I want to listen via balanced output.

As for the costs, neither option are cheap I'm afraid......I paid £600 for the Rx Mk3 and Solo (second hand in excellent condition) and the AK100 cost me £350 again second hand but only 1 month old. 

Just as an aside the rendition 1 amp is amazing......it's small, lightweight and has bags of power. This amp was also designed to have no channel imbalance at lower levels and also no hiss whatsoever on low impedence IEM's.

 

 

whatupdoc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 23/05/2013 - 17:50
Posts: 9
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Hee guys, thanks for all the replies.

After some long weeks they company where I ordered my sony mdr-z1000 can no longer provide that headphone. They ordered at sony's but sony is unaible to deliver. Im not sure if the production has stopped of this product or... 

So.. Its back to the drawing board for me  :wall:

 

whatupdoc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 23/05/2013 - 17:50
Posts: 9
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

Hello guys. 

After some time i came up with the Shure RSH 840 and these are great for me. My ears needed some time to adjust to this headphone because their pretty clampy but their really good now and I enjoy my music like ive never did before. Just wanted to let u guys know what headphone i got in the end Smile  

Pages

Log in or register to post comments