27 posts / 0 new
Last post
whatupdoc's picture
Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)
English

Hi people.

I want to buy a headphone for on the road (what a suprise :P)

My budget is around 200 euro's. It could be more if there's a really good headphone (20-25) it could be less if there's a just as good headphone for abit lower. Im playing my music on my iphone 3gs in mp3 format of 320kbs. I listen most to rock (acdc, foofighters but also u2), Classique (Erik satie,Mozard), reggae and jazz (Nina Simone, Ella fitzgerald)

I think the best headphone for this kind of music is an headphone as much as neutral as possible. I have no need for a heave bass like the headphone Beat's. I want the music to be clear,come alive. The headphone should be sturdy enough to travel in my backpack unless it comes with a hardcase where i can put it in. I prefer to have a headphone with a change-able cable if its broke so i can easily replace it. I prefer some passive noise reduction becouse mosly im traveling in the train or on my bicycle. And it should be closed since i dont want to anoy other people with my music. I understand it wont be completely silince but it should keep out most of the hard noises. 

Ive found a couple of headphones and I would like to hear your opinion about it or other sugestions 

-Sennheiser HD 25-1 (no clue which version since there are around 6 i thought)

Bowers&Wilkins P5 ( the design doesnt look like it can keep out most of the noises)

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 or maybe the slightly older one; the T50P. 

If there are any questions id like to hear.

Greets,

Rik

PS; excuse me if some english sentences are abit weird. Im from holland and english is my second language 

dalethorn's picture
RE: Portable headphone (around 200 euro's)

whatupdoc wrote:
Hi people. I want to buy a headphone for on the road (what a suprise :P) My budget is around 200 euro's. It could be more if there's a really good headphone (20-25) it could be less if there's a just as good headphone for abit lower. Im playing my music on my iphone 3gs in mp3 format of 320kbs. I listen most to rock (acdc, foofighters but also u2), Classique (Erik satie,Mozard), reggae and jazz (Nina Simone, Ella fitzgerald). I think the best headphone for this kind of music is an headphone as much as neutral as possible. I have no need for a heave bass like the headphone Beat's. I want the music to be clear,come alive. The headphone should be sturdy enough to travel in my backpack unless it comes with a hardcase where i can put it in. I prefer to have a headphone with a change-able cable if its broke so i can easily replace it. I prefer some passive noise reduction becouse mosly im traveling in the train or on my bicycle. And it should be closed since i dont want to anoy other people with my music. I understand it wont be completely silince but it should keep out most of the hard noises.  Ive found a couple of headphones and I would like to hear your opinion about it or other sugestions  -Sennheiser HD 25-1 (no clue which version since there are around 6 i thought). Bowers&Wilkins P5 ( the design doesnt look like it can keep out most of the noises). Beyerdynamic DT 1350 or maybe the slightly older one; the T50P. If there are any questions id like to hear. Greets, Rik. PS; excuse me if some english sentences are abit weird. Im from holland and english is my second language 

The HD25 heavy upper bass isn't neutral. The P5 is closer to neutral (and isolates very well), but has muddy bass and somewhat dull highs (but very portable). The DT1350, and worse yet the T50p are far, far from neutral. If you get the vise-like clamping version your head will explode, and the newer, looser version has a huge hollowness in the midrange that I could never fix (I gave away 2 sets of 1350). The Sennheiser Momentum is better than the P5, but the uneven treble was annoying to me. The Soundmagic HP100 is a little bit bulky, but very neutral, closed back, detachable cable.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

whatupdoc's picture

Heey Dalethorn, thank you for your reply.

Ive looked some revieuws about the soundmagic Hp100 and the only thing that anoys people is the cord of it as it is spinned.

Do you happend to know more good headphones either over ear or on ear? i'd like to know all the best options before choosing 

dalethorn's picture

whatupdoc wrote:
Hey Dalethorn, thank you for your reply. Ive looked some revieuws about the soundmagic Hp100 and the only thing that anoys people is the cord of it as it is spinned. Do you happend to know more good headphones either over ear or on ear? i'd like to know all the best options before choosing

My favorite portable is the ATH ESW9a, with wooden cups (small cups), which is much better than a B&W P5 at a lower price. The black Phiaton MS400 is also good but the cable is very thin and it needs a treble boost (but sounds good when boosted). The Bose AE2 is quite good and neutral, but might have a very slight treble roughness (very slight at worst). My second favorite after the ESW9a is the v-moda M100, which needs bass reduction for home hi-fi use, but can be played sans EQ on public transport etc.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

whatupdoc's picture

Heey Dalethorn. Ive been looking for the ATH ESW9a but unfortenetaly their not avaible in holland. Now i've found a website with some hot deals on headphones and now i can get the Sony MDR-Z1000 for 235 euro or the parrot Zik headphone for 250 euro. Their both very nice, what are your thoughts on this? 

quadpatch's picture

The Sony MDR-Z1000 sounds like a fantastic deal! The Parrot Zik - not so much, from what I've heard. I nearly bought the Z1000 a few months back for a similar price, but missed my chance and I really regret it. I haven't heard the Z1000 myself, I'm just curious.

As far as the ESW9a is concerned, you could order them from Amazon.com. I think they allow you to pay for your county's local tax in advance, at least I have seen someone else do that, but maybe they have to be sold directly from Amazon (not a marketplace seller) for that to work.

whatupdoc's picture

Hi Quadpatch,

Thank you for your replie. Well the problem about buying of amazon.com is that i need a creditcard and I dont have one. I've also looked at amazon.uk but for some reason those 200dolllar headphones are 370 pound  :wall:. 

I've also looked at the Focal Spirit One. Those are around 200 euro's but i think i can get a better one for abit more priced; the Sony mdr z1000. 

I've read some reviews that the Sony is abit heavy bassed. Do u know if i can tweak that a little bit with the equaliser on my mobile phone?

Edit; do u also happend to know if the sony is foldable? i cant seem to find it  :?

Edit 2: I bought the sony MDR-Z1000. It was a to good deal to lett go. Now the waiting starts  8). 

quadpatch's picture

Yeah the UK Amazon price for the ESW9a is ridiculous considering the US price! But yeah, not having a credit card doesn't help there.

Congrats on the Z1000! I don't think they are foldable. Although I haven't heard these headphones myself I didn't get the impression from what I read that they were particularly bass heavy. If you do find this however EQ'ing it down is usually very successful. I don't know what phone you have but I'm sure it's very possible to use EQ. I have used EQ on my phone with Spotify and an app called 'Power Amp' (Android), which seems to work well.

whatupdoc's picture

Hee quadpatch,

I've got an iphone 3gs. Not the best device but it'll do untill i get an better phone like the iphone 5 or galaxy S4.

Unfortanately the headphone was sold out and they had to order at sony some more headphones. May take 2 weeks Sad but ah well. It was pretty funny becouse a day after they emailed me it was sold out they increased the price from 235 euro to 299 euro. Guess im very lucky and this is really worth waiting for. You're right, this headphone cant be fold. Do you happend to know a hardcase where in this headphone in fits? Becouse it only comes with a bag to put it in but an hardcase would be nice to take in my backpack

whatupdoc's picture

Hee quadpatch,

I've got an iphone 3gs. Not the best device but it'll do untill i get an better phone like the iphone 5 or galaxy S4.

Unfortanately the headphone was sold out and they had to order at sony some more headphones. May take 2 weeks Sad but ah well. It was pretty funny becouse a day after they emailed me it was sold out they increased the price from 235 euro to 299 euro. Guess im very lucky and this is really worth waiting for. You're right, this headphone cant be fold. Do you happend to know a hardcase where in this headphone in fits? Becouse it only comes with a bag to put it in but an hardcase would be nice to take in my backpack

SteveR750's picture

From what I have read (including WHF's review) the S4 does not use the Wolfson DAC, or any Wolfson DAC, and is markedly sonically inferior to the S3, so check before you upgrade! 

whatupdoc's picture

Heey Steve, that's incredible how much samsung can spoil Sad . Do you happend to know if the Iphone 5 is any good? 

quadpatch's picture

I have a Wolfson powered Galaxy phone and I often borrow my wife's iPhone 4 to compare. I find the iPhone very good, simailrly as good as a Wolfson Galaxy but... The iPhone seemed to have a little less bass body and a little more upper midrange/treble. This makes it sound more clear in the detail, but a little thin by comparison. The iPhone also goes a lot louder than pretty much any other phone, making it m ore friendly to a wider range of headphones. I prefer the iPhone sound with headphones that have a decent bit of bass body and treble that's not too bright. Stuff like the V-Modas or most of the Denon range do well, but I find most of the AKGs and Beyer DT880 pretty horid on there. The SoundMAGICs and Beyer DT770/LE struggle with top end brightness, even though the low end sounds fine.

The iPhone 5's sound seems to test and review largely similar to the 4 as far as I can tell, I've only tested a couple in shops with random headphones and it seems to be the case to me too. 

Speaking of Samsung and Wolfson, I heard that Samsung will be using their new super DAC chips in their next phone - Galaxy Note II perhaps?

andrew_cawood's picture

I wouldn't completely dismiss the dt1350, it has many very happy owners including me (check out headfi). It is unquestionably an idosyncratic pair of headphones, and requires a bit of fiddling about to get a good seal, but when you do the sound is glorious. FWIW I also think they're very neutral.

andrew_cawood's picture

Sorry, I see you've already made your choice! 

SteveR750's picture

quadpatch wrote:

I have a Wolfson powered Galaxy phone and I often borrow my wife's iPhone 4 to compare. I find the iPhone very good, simailrly as good as a Wolfson Galaxy but... The iPhone seemed to have a little less bass body and a little more upper midrange/treble. This makes it sound more clear in the detail, but a little thin by comparison. The iPhone also goes a lot louder than pretty much any other phone, making it m ore friendly to a wider range of headphones. I prefer the iPhone sound with headphones that have a decent bit of bass body and treble that's not too bright. Stuff like the V-Modas or most of the Denon range do well, but I find most of the AKGs and Beyer DT880 pretty horid on there. The SoundMAGICs and Beyer DT770/LE struggle with top end brightness, even though the low end sounds fine.

The iPhone 5's sound seems to test and review largely similar to the 4 as far as I can tell, I've only tested a couple in shops with random headphones and it seems to be the case to me too. 

Speaking of Samsung and Wolfson, I heard that Samsung will be using their new super DAC chips in their next phone - Galaxy Note II perhaps?

The general consensus of the expert web opinions is that the Iphone is slightly better than the S3, which given Apple's history with the iPod you'd expect no less. From what I have read, the S4 in Europe uses a Qualcomm chip, whereas the US (and maybe Asiapac) models have a Wolfson chip. Ironically, this is a complete reversal to the S3, were the US models had an inferior DAC. I'm no Apple fan, but I do acknowledge that they take sound reproduction more seriously than most smartphone makers.

If the S5 when it arrives, has a similarly specced audio chipset, then it will be worth considering IMO. Not sure what the one X uses, as tis is getting good reviews for SQ

Pages