I didn't realise there was a separate "Headphones" forum so posted this on the main hifi forum:
This is a very open question so I’d appreciate as many comments as possible.
I’ve got my new hifi – Marantz CD6004, PM6004, KEP Q500s – and I love it and am listening to much more music now. Trouble is I’m a bit of a night owl and I live in an apartment block and volume levels have to be restrained in the small hours. So I’m thinking of headphones but am not sure where to start. I’ve read the reviews but there is nothing like the opinions of people who use the things!
• I listen to mainly classical music of all types but medieval polyphony is a favourite
• I want to get as close to the clean, analytical sound of the KEFs as possible
• I can’t do “in-ear” so it has to be “on-ear”
• Can’t be too heavy
• I’m attracted to “wireless” for practical reasons but how good are they?
• Headphone socket or pre-amp?
• Whilst I’m not rich beyond the dreams of avarice I will pay to get the sound I want
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice and help.