Have your say & ask the experts!

Nuforce hdp or Asus xonar essence one for Hd 650

8 replies [Last post]
Rexxar's picture

Hello have some of you heard those combinations with the senns hd 650. I have read alot of positivs about the nuforce, essence one i have not read so much about how it is with the hd650s

I have right now the xonar essence stx running the hd 650 and i like it, But looking for improvements (also fun to upgrade Smile )

Dalmatian's picture
RE: Nuforce hdp or Asus xonar essence one for Hd 650

I have the Nuforce UDH 100 Dac/Headphone amp which I'm using my AKG Q701s through and can't recommend it highly enough, haven't heard it with the HD650s though.

Nick

pauln's picture

Rexxar wrote:
Hello have some of you heard those combinations with the senns hd 650. I have read alot of positivs about the nuforce, essence one i have not read so much about how it is with the hd650s I have right now the xonar essence stx running the hd 650 and i like it, But looking for improvements (also fun to upgrade Smile )

The Nuforce is unlikely to have enough power for the Sennheisers - 152 mW at 300 ohms according to their website.

Also I would recommend you read this first: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/nuforce-udac-2-drama.html

How much do you want to spend?

On the road: HP Elitebook 8540w, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Computer Mini Monitors.

Home: Denon DBP-2010, Humax, Panasonic Plasma, Monitor Audio ASB-2, AKG K240 Studio, Audio-GD NFB 12, Audio Pro Addon T8 active monitors, definitely no fancy cables.

quadpatch's picture

pauln wrote:

Rexxar wrote:
Hello have some of you heard those combinations with the senns hd 650. I have read alot of positivs about the nuforce, essence one i have not read so much about how it is with the hd650s I have right now the xonar essence stx running the hd 650 and i like it, But looking for improvements (also fun to upgrade Smile )

The Nuforce is unlikely to have enough power for the Sennheisers - 152 mW at 300 ohms according to their website.

Also I would recommend you read this first: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/nuforce-udac-2-drama.html

I found the HD650's really easy to drive, I can't imagine a dedicated amp struggling to drive a headphone that can run off a phone with ease.

Hifi: Audiolab M-DAC Audiolab 8200P Tannoy DC6T SE 

Headphone: Q701HP100HE500, M80TH900Mad DogD7000DT880M100K550TH600 

DAC: E7U100rPACModi/Magni120DsHP-A8DAC2 HGC, BDP 105EUEHP 02DiDAC 

dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
pauln wrote:
Rexxar wrote:

I found the HD650's really easy to drive, I can't imagine a dedicated amp struggling to drive a headphone that can run off a phone with ease.

Apparently there was some confusion about which model? The UDH100 is AC mains powered, so it shouldn't lack headphone power.

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

pauln's picture

quadpatch wrote:

I've been researching these a lot recently with a view to buying; most reviews suggest that they need good amplification otherwise they can sound quite ordinary. You obviously have far more experience of headphones than I do, judging by your web site. Nice reviews by the way, I couldn't see one of the HD 650... how about it? It is a sort of reference point for many people I think.

Home: Denon DBP-2010, Humax, Panasonic Plasma, Monitor Audio ASB-2, AKG K240 Studio, Audio-GD NFB 12, Audio Pro Addon T8 active monitors, definitely no fancy cables.

pauln's picture

dalethorn wrote:

Apparently there was some confusion about which model? The UDH100 is AC mains powered, so it shouldn't lack headphone power.

I realise that the article by NwAvGuy is about a different model; it was referenced to give the OP an indication of Nuforce's design philosophy.

quadpatch's picture

pauln wrote:

I've been researching these a lot recently with a view to buying; most reviews suggest that they need good amplification otherwise they can sound quite ordinary. You obviously have far more experience of headphones than I do, judging by your web site. Nice reviews by the way, I couldn't see one of the HD 650... how about it? It is a sort of reference point for many people I think.

I found the HD650 sounds great with good amplification because it's really well balanced (transparent), but personally I didn't find them dull driven off my tablet or phone, perhaps my tablet and phone are great... probably not. The only reason I don't do that more often is they use the 6.35mm connector.

As for reviewing the HD650: I haven't reviewed it yet because it's a pretty new purchase and stuff I buy for myself is not a review priority, but I will get around to this soon because, like you say, it's considered a reference for a lot of people and will look good on the blog. The HD650 is perhaps my favourite open-back headphone actually. The next review I will be posting will be the SoundMAGIC HP200 and I mention the HD650 in there a lot because these two headphone's perform similarly well. I am quite eager to get my hands on the Hifiman HE-400 too, fingers crossed that will be soon.

Hifi: Audiolab M-DAC Audiolab 8200P Tannoy DC6T SE 

Headphone: Q701HP100HE500, M80TH900Mad DogD7000DT880M100K550TH600 

DAC: E7U100rPACModi/Magni120DsHP-A8DAC2 HGC, BDP 105EUEHP 02DiDAC 

Jason36's picture

quadpatch wrote:

pauln wrote:

Rexxar wrote:

i found the opposite to this Ed, I found that my HD650's sounded extremely dull and very boring straight out of my iPhones and iPad. Personally I would say that the HD650's really start to shine and come into there own with a good and well powered headphone amp. They scale extremely well and in fact shine with headphone amps twice the cost of the Headphones themselves.

Having said that......I use mine with the Schitt Modi / Magni combo ($200 - appx £130.00) and they sound utterly amazing......I'm currently listening to The Doors - Behind Closed Doors - The Rarities, and I'm blown away!!

Portable: iPhone 5 / iPad 4 / iPod Classic 160Gb / iPod Touch 64Gb

Amps / DACS: HRT Microstreamer (with Apple CCK) / Centrance HiFi M8

Headphones / IEMs: DreamEarz AUD-8x