52 posts / 0 new
Last post
alefzero's picture
RE: Just Discovered - Sennheiser HD650

Hey guys! How interesting and constructive a thread this was indeed! So... I wear headphones about 9 hours per day at work (with eyeglasses) and I use them with my Desktop PC (mainly Spotify). I decided to upgrade my Ultrasone HFI-2200ULE (their earcups are about ~10cm with inner ear space at ~5.5cm.. a real torture with eyeglasses as the earpads' top part presses the tip of my ears just onto the eyeglasses' temples... if you then contextualise that in Barcelona's hot summers, you can get an idea!).

I was already in love with the big earcups of the AKG K702 when I came across with the Sennheiser HD650. They seem a perfect combination of performance and comfort for eyeglass wearers as I gathered around the inner height of the ear pad/cup should measure around 6.8cm (if you could please confirm?) which should hopefully push the top of the earpad above my eyeglasses' temples.

Anyway, decision's made about the cans and this time I wanna complement them with one of those nice DAC/Amps as well... but I'm torn between (in ascending price order):

1) Fiio E10, 2) Arcam rPac and 3) Shiiit Modi+Magni.

QUESTION: is it really worth forking out double price for the Arcam rPac (as opposed to the Fiio) or even a couple of hundreds more for the Shiiit (as opposed to the Arcam rPac)?

Thanks a lot for your help! Cheers

quadpatch's picture

alefzero wrote:

The inner height of the ear pad/cup should measure around 6.8cm (if you could please confirm?) which should hopefully push the top of the earpad above my eyeglasses' temples.

This figure seems about right (from what I can tell in my dimly lit room). It's also worth noting that the space slopes into that figure more than it looks. This allows the bottom of the ear to sit futher down without causing any pain because it sticks out much less. I have very large, sticky-out ears and I find the HD650 very comfy. The only slight criticism I would mention is that the space is very tall and squashed, making headphones that are more round (like the Beyerdynamics and high-end Fostex / old Denons) a bit more comfortable still. 

alefzero wrote:

This time I wanna complement them with one of those nice DAC/Amps as well... but I'm torn between (in ascending price order):

1) Fiio E10, 2) Arcam rPac and 3) Shiiit Modi+Magni.

QUESTION: is it really worth forking out double price for the Arcam rPac (as opposed to the Fiio) or even a couple of hundreds more for the Shiiit (as opposed to the Arcam rPac)?

All of these 3 DAC/amps are good value in my opinion. Either get the best you can afford or get the cheapest one now and then upgrade to a more expensive one later. Second hand prices for these things are pretty decent on eBay so you won't lose too much money in the process. Also you will appreciate the difference more that way too. 

TB303's picture

Hello,

Sorry to revive this thread, I am considering getting the HD650 to pair with a Chord Hugo, and wonder how they compare to the B&W P7?

I know wonce is closed back and the other is open. I like all sorts of music, mainly electronic but I'm not a 'bass head' - I prefer acurate and natural bass.

Thanks!

dalethorn's picture

TB303 wrote:
Hello, Sorry to revive this thread, I am considering getting the HD650 to pair with a Chord Hugo, and wonder how they compare to the B&W P7?  I know wonce is closed back and the other is open. I like all sorts of music, mainly electronic but I'm not a 'bass head' - I prefer acurate and natural bass.  Thanks!

The HD600 has an accurate and natural bass - the HD650 bass is boosted some for a warmer, darker sound.  The P7 is even more boosted and many critics (myself included) hear a lot of boom and looseness.  But, the P7 has enough treble to balance its bass without losing the midrange, so overall it's an energetic and exciting sound, but far from neutral or natural.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

TB303's picture

So yousuggest the HD600 actually sounds more natural (better) than the HD650?

Is it posisble to drive them off an iphone (without an amp?)

Thanks!

dalethorn's picture

TB303 wrote:
So yousuggest the HD600 actually sounds more natural (better) than the HD650?  Is it posisble to drive them off an iphone (without an amp?)  Thanks!

I'm not suggesting it - Sennheiser designed them that way.  In fact, I had both when both of them sounded the same (circa 2000-2001), then Sennheiser re-released the "new" HD650 that had the darker bassier sound.  The forums are full of info on that development.

You can use a phone, but many tracks will run out of volume.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

Pages