35 posts / 0 new
Last post
dalethorn's picture
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm Limited Edition headphone review

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture
zsfgsdgb

You seem to have posted the same photo 4 times there. It's a nice photo though! I have taken mine on black as usual and a lot of this nice detail has been hidden. I might do a second run on it.

dalethorn's picture
RE: zsfgsdgb

quadpatch wrote:
You seem to have posted the same photo 4 times there. It's a nice photo though! I have taken mine on black as usual and a lot of this nice detail has been hidden. I might do a second run on it.

EDIT: The first time I posted these (this time with #s 1 to 4 though) the URL's activated automatically, but now it doesn't want to work, and the tags I added didn't work either.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

dalethorn's picture

And now that the nightmare of editing is over on that last post, the final bit of bad news: Using the 32-ohm portable-oriented DT770LE today on walkabout, I was struck with that substantial hollow-cavern sound again. Factors I think that contributed to this are 1) The iPhone can't get the same control of that signature that the desktop can; 2) Wearing glasses, couldn't get as good of a bass seal; 3) Traffic etc. diminishes the apparent bass response; and 4) The dramatic difference between other portables and the DT770. If those factors and the sound were not convincing enough for me, the bulk and appearance would kill it anyway for portable use. Still, my enjoyment of the DT770-32LE as a desktop headphone continues to increase.

BTW, note the '88's on the earcup logo.

Paulq's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm LE headphone review

Interesting review.  Stupid question alert - are these new to market (and hence the reason for the review) or an 'old ' product.

I'd be interested to get hold of a pair (have now seen a few available).

dalethorn's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm LE headphone review

Paulq wrote:
Interesting review.  Stupid question alert - are these new to market (and hence the reason for the review) or an 'old ' product. I'd be interested to get hold of a pair (have now seen a few available).

Old and new I suppose. Based closely on the existing series of DT770, the new 32 ohm Limited Edition (a.k.a. 88th Anniversary Edition) is reported by Headfonia et al to have a smoother less-peaky treble among other things. Beyer mentions some glass filling in the earcups that may also be new and contribute to differences. The earpads are plastic where the other DT770's use velour, also said to change the sound.

Paulq's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm.

I've been a long time fan of Beyer cans and really am tempted by these. I tried the 80 ohm version and liked it but, in owning the Denon AHD7000, didn't really feel I had a slot for the Beyers.  Are the 32ohm discernibly different to the 80? 

I guess if I were to buy another pair it would be to indulge my occasional bass head tendencies and for that I've always spied the Ultrasone Pro 900; just never taken the plunge with them either. 

I wish Beyer would stop making headphones I like :-). 

dalethorn's picture

Paulq wrote:
I've been a long time fan of Beyer cans and really am tempted by these. I tried the 80 ohm version and liked it but, in owning the Denon AHD7000, didn't really feel I had a slot for the Beyers.  Are the 32ohm discernibly different to the 80? I guess if I were to buy another pair it would be to indulge my occasional bass head tendencies and for that I've always spied the Ultrasone Pro 900; just never taken the plunge with them either. I wish Beyer would stop making headphones I like :-). 

I never heard the other series like the higher impedance DT770's, but from much reading, in the past as well as recently, it seems the big change in sound here wasn't the impedance, it was the plastic instead of velour earpads, and all reports are positive. Since I'm a hi-fi person and not a basshead, I am bothered greatly by most emphasized bass, and with headphones like the Philips L1 or v-moda M100, I always use bass reduction EQ. Not necessary with the DT770-32LE - bass is perfect. The treble does have that signature peak though, and I found a simple setting in Foobar to fix it. There is also an Apple app called Accudio Pro by GoldenEars that has a setting for the DT770, and I tried it. It did the same as my setting - tamed the peak around 10 khz and left everything else alone.

I highly recommend the DT770-32LE, if you can still buy one. My first impression of the 'cavernous' sound still applies, so I'd recommend an amp that can rope that in a wee bit. I use the Dragonfly or Audioengine D1, and they make the sound to die for (well, nearly).

Paulq's picture

dalethorn wrote:

Paulq wrote:
I've been a long time fan of Beyer cans and really am tempted by these. I tried the 80 ohm version and liked it but, in owning the Denon AHD7000, didn't really feel I had a slot for the Beyers.  Are the 32ohm discernibly different to the 80? I guess if I were to buy another pair it would be to indulge my occasional bass head tendencies and for that I've always spied the Ultrasone Pro 900; just never taken the plunge with them either. I wish Beyer would stop making headphones I like :-). 

I never heard the other series like the higher impedance DT770's, but from much reading, in the past as well as recently, it seems the big change in sound here wasn't the impedance, it was the plastic instead of velour earpads, and all reports are positive. Since I'm a hi-fi person and not a basshead, I am bothered greatly by most emphasized bass, and with headphones like the Philips L1 or v-moda M100, I always use bass reduction EQ. Not necessary with the DT770-32LE - bass is perfect. The treble does have that signature peak though, and I found a simple setting in Foobar to fix it. There is also an Apple app called Accudio Pro by GoldenEars that has a setting for the DT770, and I tried it. It did the same as my setting - tamed the peak around 10 khz and left everything else alone.

I highly recommend the DT770-32LE, if you can still buy one. My first impression of the 'cavernous' sound still applies, so I'd recommend an amp that can rope that in a wee bit. I use the Dragonfly or Audioengine D1, and they make the sound to die for (well, nearly).

Part of the attraction with Beyers for me is actually the velour pads as I find them extremely comfortable. Not sure about the plastic pads at all - do the replacement velour ones fit the LE?

dalethorn's picture

I have heard that the velour pads do fit and I think Beyer even lists them as accessories.

quadpatch's picture

Paulq wrote:

Part of the attraction with Beyers for me is actually the velour pads as I find them extremely comfortable. Not sure about the plastic pads at all - do the replacement velour ones fit the LE?

Your concern is mildly valid there, they are not quite as comfy, but it seems that the better sound of the LE is vastly related to the pads so I'm not sure there would be much point getting the LE only to change the pads. The only point doing this would be if you needed a bit more volume from a portable or just like having a limited edition :).
dalethorn's picture

quadpatch wrote:
Your concern is mildly valid there, they are not quite as comfy, but it seems that the better sound of the LE is vastly related to the pads so I'm not sure there would be much point getting the LE only to change the pads. The only point doing this would be if you needed a bit more volume from a portable or just like having a limited edition :).

I don't know what the older DT770's are like, but the LE I got has a light clamp, and the fit is the most comfortable thing I've used except maybe the Shure 1840, and it's close to that. It's three times more comfortable than the Sennheiser Momentum. I can see a concern for warm weather, but unless a person's head gets unusually hot it shouldn't be much problem. BTW, I was listening to the ATH ESW11 all day, and switching to the DT770, it has bass! - Amazing difference.

Paulq's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm

I have a long time affinity with the DT990 (250 ohm) which is probably one of my all time favourites.  I have ben tempted by the DT770's but, given the plastic pads, am a little put off and will probably go for the more standard 80 ohm version.

Whilst portable listening with these would be occasional (main use would be through my Graham Slee Novo), I wonder if the 80 ohm could be driven adequately by an iPod/iPhone?

I use a Fiio E5 sometimes - anyone tried the 80 ohms portably?

Just before I hit 'Buy Now'....  Cool

dalethorn's picture

NwAvGuy says the 80 ohm are very marginal with ipod etc.

Edit: The FiiO should help.

Paulq's picture
RE: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm

dalethorn wrote:

NwAvGuy says the 80 ohm are very marginal with ipod etc.

Edit: The FiiO should help.

Is there a better, reasonably priced, portable headphone amp you'd recommend to do the 80 ohm's justice with iPod etc?

Pages