Have your say & ask the experts!

Best Budget Headphones

30 replies [Last post]
dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones

Phlegm wrote:
Reported him as you should. Troll. I'd report him for poor spelling if there was a button too. Smile

The concept was good, for people who are concerned about over-pricing and bargains. I just had the one point of view, but maybe someone else who is more agreeable could offer a useful counterpoint. And then I could take advantage of some safe bargain-hunting tips myself.

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

Phlegm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
RE: Best Budget Headphones

The laid back American speaks! Very cool Dale. Smile

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11791
RE: Best Budget Headphones

I've got this & it's brilliant.

Review here.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11791
RE: Best Budget Headphones

dalethorn wrote:

When you look at Innerfidelity's measurements of headphones costing £300 and up, which in some cases have channel mismatches and very significant variances in freq. response with different samples of the same headphone, what can you expect with cheap headphones? - What I mean is, the very name of this site and forum is WhatHiFi, which is an abbreviation of High Fidelity, and which cheap headphones are not. So would you be looking for a particular sound, and could you expect that one person's impressions of cheap headphone 'x' would hold true when you get a sample of that same headphone?

I respect and enjoy your reviews, but I'm sorry to say that you do come across as arrogant here. If people have a fixed budget, so be it. There's no correlation between money and "Hi Fi".

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Phlegm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
RE: Best Budget Headphones

I don't think he does sound arrogant.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones

bigboss wrote:

dalethorn wrote:

When you look at Innerfidelity's measurements of headphones costing £300 and up, which in some cases have channel mismatches and very significant variances in freq. response with different samples of the same headphone, what can you expect with cheap headphones? - What I mean is, the very name of this site and forum is WhatHiFi, which is an abbreviation of High Fidelity, and which cheap headphones are not. So would you be looking for a particular sound, and could you expect that one person's impressions of cheap headphone 'x' would hold true when you get a sample of that same headphone?

I respect and enjoy your reviews, but I'm sorry to say that you do come across as arrogant here. If people have a fixed budget, so be it. There's no correlation between money and "Hi Fi".

If there's no correlation, then there's no such thing as high fidelity. On the biggest headphone forum (head-fi) they have a long-established tradition of referring to most headphones in the $300 to $500 range as "mid-fi", which is not to say that's precisely correct, but it does set a kind-of marker to say that high fidelity should mean a high standard of reproduction, which can't be had for cheap. But that's not the problem here - you may be misrepresenting what I said, which was not so much about how much 'fi' you can get for cheap, but rather, whether the cheap item you ordered will meet the advertised or reviewed spec. And further, I respect a reputable mfr. who makes consistent products, especially at low cost. But I don't respect schlock mfr's who produce rubbish that isn't made to a consistent spec, and who don't give a damn whose hearing they ruin, because they're just after a quick buck, as we say across the pond.

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones

I'd like to add about arrogance, that as I got further into reviewing and got a lot of flac from users who thought I was stupid and didn't hear well or know how to describe things, that I changed my tone to be very precise about things so there wouldn't be so much misunderstanding (although disagreement is still the rule). I don't have a "people" personality like the guys who head up hifiheadphones U.K. or Innerfidelity or head-fi etc., but I'm not taking advertising either, so I spend whatever hours I can helping people for free.

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11791
RE: Best Budget Headphones

That is all fine Dale. But unfortunately, the OP has a limited budget. Not everyone can afford expensive cans. But this doesn't mean they don't or can't enjoy their music. There is "high fidelity" at every budget. The definition of high fidelity is very subjective. Just because the OP has a budget of £50 does not mean he cannot ask what's the best he can buy for his money on a Hi Fi forum. We're all here to help, and people will have had experience of some nice bargains who can suggest. Your response to the OP doesn't help at all. What's the point of telling someone with a budget of and looking for a supermini that he / she needs to buy a luxury family saloon car?

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones

bigboss wrote:
That is all fine Dale. But unfortunately, the OP has a limited budget. Not everyone can afford expensive cans. But this doesn't mean they don't or can't enjoy their music. There is "high fidelity" at every budget. The definition of high fidelity is very subjective. Just because the OP has a budget of £50 does not mean he cannot ask what's the best he can buy for his money on a Hi Fi forum. We're all here to help, and people will have had experience of some nice bargains who can suggest. Your response to the OP doesn't help at all. What's the point of telling someone with a budget of and looking for a supermini that he / she needs to buy a luxury family saloon car?

Once again my points are being misrepresented. The first thing any budget-conscious person needs to know is "Will it harm me?" Then the second thing they need to know is "Will it last or will I have to waste the money I saved sending it back?" Then the third thing they need to know is "Will it have a smooth enough response to be musically enjoyable, even if not very high on the 'fi' scale?"

I never set a price level, I merely propose these questions that some are finding uncomfortable to deal with. I have had these experiences on a tight budget many times, and been badly stung because nobody warned me. If you understand my concerns, then we could proceed to the actual issues.

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

Phlegm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
RE: Best Budget Headphones

bigboss you're verging on trying to discredit someone who gives his time freely and presents his own thoughts and reviews. Just let it be if you disagree. Let the people who read the forum decide themselves what's best, what is right and make their own minds up. Thank you.

 

.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11791
RE: Best Budget Headphones

Phlegm wrote:

bigboss you're verging on trying to discredit someone who gives his time freely and presents his own thoughts and reviews. Just let it be if you disagree. Let the people who read the forum decide themselves what's best, what is right and make their own minds up. Thank you..

Not really. As I said in my first post, I respect & enjoy reading Dalethorn's reviews. His response to the OP came across as arrogant to me, which he has clarified. This hopefully should be clear to the OP as well. The matter is finished as far as I'm concerned.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones

bigboss wrote:
Phlegm wrote:
bigboss you're verging on trying to discredit someone who gives his time freely and presents his own thoughts and reviews. Just let it be if you disagree. Let the people who read the forum decide themselves what's best, what is right and make their own minds up. Thank you..

Not really. As I said in my first post, I respect & enjoy reading Dalethorn's reviews. His response to the OP came across as arrogant to me, which he has clarified. This hopefully should be clear to the OP as well. The matter is finished as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have any problem with this. I think we both are hoping the OP will respect what we're trying to do here, to have a responsible response to his posts.

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

pauln's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 435
RE: Best Budget Headphones RE: Best Budget Headphones

bigboss wrote:

That is all fine Dale. But unfortunately, the OP has a limited budget. Not everyone can afford expensive cans. But this doesn't mean they don't or can't enjoy their music. There is "high fidelity" at every budget. The definition of high fidelity is very subjective. Just because the OP has a budget of £50 does not mean he cannot ask what's the best he can buy for his money on a Hi Fi forum. We're all here to help, and people will have had experience of some nice bargains who can suggest. Your response to the OP doesn't help at all. What's the point of telling someone with a budget of and looking for a supermini that he / she needs to buy a luxury family saloon car?

Dale's first response was to point the op in the direction of some sub £50 cans... I think he later added that £50 doesn't get you much. Not arrogance to me, just the facts. But hey, you're over it so it's all good again.

__________________

On the road: HP Elitebook 8540w, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Computer Mini Monitors.

Home: Denon DBP-2010, Humax, Panasonic Plasma, Monitor Audio ASB-2, AKG K240 Studio, Audio-GD NFB 12, Audio Pro Addon T8 active monitors, definitely no fancy cables.

dalethorn's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Posts: 1068
RE: Best Budget Headphones RE: Best Budget Headphones

pauln wrote:
Dale's first response was to point the op in the direction of some sub £50 cans... I think he later added that £50 doesn't get you much. Not arrogance to me, just the facts. But hey, you're over it so it's all good again.

I worked in electronics retail for several years, and my first instinct was to help the customer when the customer wanted advice pointing him to a possible purchase, or even commenting on one or two items he might have mentioned initially. A lot of times when a customer asks about one or two things I'm not familiar with, I check Amazon reviews or whatever is on Google, to see how others rate the item or items. You would be amazed (or maybe not) at the number of people who ask about items on forums who don't check Google or any of the big sellers, because they don't want to take 5 minutes to read the data - it's easier to ask on a forum for some people. Anyway, I went back and checked just now, and the OP ignored the answer to his first post plus a suggestion from another member, and just posted another question about some additional low-cost obscure headsets. So I made an assumption about where that was going and tried a new tact, to see if the customer was going to be responsive to suggestions or help, or just use the forum as a sounding board. Sometimes you just can't win. 

__________________

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, FAD Pandora IV/VI, Beyer DT1350/T51p, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/Microstreamer/FiiO E07k DAC/amps, PA2V2 amp.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11791
RE: Best Budget Headphones RE: Best Budget Headphones

dalethorn wrote:

pauln wrote:
Dale's first response was to point the op in the direction of some sub £50 cans... I think he later added that £50 doesn't get you much. Not arrogance to me, just the facts. But hey, you're over it so it's all good again.

I worked in electronics retail for several years, and my first instinct was to help the customer when the customer wanted advice pointing him to a possible purchase, or even commenting on one or two items he might have mentioned initially. A lot of times when a customer asks about one or two things I'm not familiar with, I check Amazon reviews or whatever is on Google, to see how others rate the item or items. You would be amazed (or maybe not) at the number of people who ask about items on forums who don't check Google or any of the big sellers, because they don't want to take 5 minutes to read the data - it's easier to ask on a forum for some people. Anyway, I went back and checked just now, and the OP ignored the answer to his first post plus a suggestion from another member, and just posted another question about some additional low-cost obscure headsets. So I made an assumption about where that was going and tried a new tact, to see if the customer was going to be responsive to suggestions or help, or just use the forum as a sounding board. Sometimes you just can't win. 

That is fair enough. Guess I misconstrued your post. Smile

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router