25 posts / 0 new
Last post
idc's picture
RE: AKG Q701 Review

The M1HPA is the new version. It looks like just the front panel has been changed, but not by much and the back looks just like the V8P.

If you have tried one and did not like it, well your ears must be made of cloth and your brain unable to process music....... Wink

Seriously, when mine goes, if it ever does, I will make use of MFs Fine Tuning service and for £189 get a full make over. I also have a heavily modded X-CANS. I really get the MF sound and I know it is corny, but it is what Antony Michaelson is after, they are so musical and the fidelity is superb.

quadpatch's picture

Haha you cheeky bugger. If it makes you feel any better I didn't think it was bad exactly, just not 10 times better than what I was coming from (Fiio E7), maybe 0.1% better and that put me off a lot. I was just finding my way with DAC/amps back then and have since gone through 3 others and been largely meh about most until settling on my current model. I guess I was just expecting too much difference between the sounds. I wonder if the M-DAC will wow me... 

dalethorn's picture

Not finding much difference is a good sign, at least initially, since both amps should produce the audible freq's from 20 to 20 khz pretty evenly.  So I would recommend as a test to try them side by side very late at night when it's extremely quiet, or get to some place that's ultra-quiet, then listen to the higher-priced amp through a whole song and then do the same song on the lower-priced amp. Repeat if necessary, always starting with the higher-valued amp. If still no significant difference, change songs.

I'm working on the theory that when people report a really major difference, especially a strong difference in a particular sonic character such as bass or treble, that they are listening in an extremely quiet place where they can hear a pin drop and it sounds like a mallet - and then what they report is exaggerated compared to what you would hear in normal listening. Or, the other possibility is mismatches somewhere along the line.

EDIT: When comparing headphones, I always start with the "better" one if that can be determined, then switch to the lesser one. That tends to show up deficiencies in quality that aren't as obvious the other way around. And it's not psychological - it's just that the missing subtleties are more obvious than going from missing to inclusion, when the differences are subtle.

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture

I think I know what you mean. It's like when someone gives you a computer twice as poweful as you are used to. It's very easy to just absorb the differences and not really notice a lot (unless it's a game going from 15fps to 30fps but that's an uncommon result). Now if someone gives you a computer half as powerful as you are used to it's like the world is ending it's so slow and horrible to use. I guess that's the way our brains work and adapt.

I had the same effect going to the DACport after the Fiio E7, I had read so many amazing things about the DACport that when I got it I was really disappointed. All I could focus on was the lack of bass. Many weeks later the DACport shows itself to be a total detail monster (for a portable) but I only noticed going back to the Fiio (where that detail was missing).

I'm not saying that positive reactions are not possible or common but the only times I have had a positive impression with a DAC / amp initially is going from nothing to the Fiio (best £50 you can spend imo) and going from everything else (Fiio, Audinst, DACport) to the Yulong D100 II. I recently bought a £100 desktop DAC/amp for my Dad and my initial impressions were not great because I am now comparing it to a £300 one that probably punches above it's weight.

So yeah I definitely agree that we have to be very careful with knee-jerk reactions to audio equipment. 

Right in a couple of hours I am off to test the M-DAC and a bunch of headphones, I will try to keep all this in mind as I am listening. Ah if only I could bring it all home to play with Blum 3

dalethorn's picture

Thanks for that perfect analogy!

AKG K812/K712, Beyer T1/T90 Jubilee/DT1350, v-moda M100/XS, Beyer A200p/v-moda Verza/Microstreamer DAC/amps, Portaphile Micro/PA2V2 amps.

quadpatch's picture

Just changed the link to the review, in case anyone finds this:

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/akg-q701-review.html

bob's picture
HEADPHONES

cool

Tooslow's picture
but where to buy from?

and here we are over 2 years on and WHF has just done a headphone review in which these headphones come out with 5 stars. It's them v Grado. But the only places I can find that sell AKG in store are Richer Sounds and Superfi. Neither lists this model as being in their range. OK I can buy them over the internet but I know better than to do that. My lug 'oles have absolutely got to hear them before I buy, preferably back to back with the Grados. Since Grados are widely available instore it looks like Grado might be getting my money.

Wake up AKG. I can't buy your products if no-one stocks them. And if anyone can point me to a shop in the NW of England that stocks this model I'd be very grateful.

John

dalethorn's picture
Tooslow wrote:and here we are

Tooslow wrote:
and here we are over 2 years on and WHF has just done a headphone review in which these headphones come out with 5 stars. It's them v Grado. But the only places I can find that sell AKG in store are Richer Sounds and Superfi. Neither lists this model as being in their range. OK I can buy them over the internet but I know better than to do that. My lug 'oles have absolutely got to hear them before I buy, preferably back to back with the Grados. Since Grados are widely available instore it looks like Grado might be getting my money.  Wake up AKG. I can't buy your products if no-one stocks them. And if anyone can point me to a shop in the NW of England that stocks this model I'd be very grateful.  John

Fortunately in the U.S., I was able to buy a K712 for only $350 USD, and it's a truly marvelous headphone.

Pages