79 posts / 0 new
Last post
landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 641
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

Is that right you will have to sign upto Sony's Playstation Plus to play online? (its under legacy support in the link) i thought it was only for auto downloads

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/13/5099086/playstation-4-first-impressions-psn-remote-pay-unbox

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

Yes, it's changed from the PS3 in that you now have to be a PS Plus member to play online. With PS Plus though, you also get access to free games each month, as you do with the PS3 and PS Vita - all with the same membership i.e. one PS Plus membership covers you for all consoles. Also, any other users who use the same PS4 as you at home can play online as long as the master account has the PS Plus membership (so you don't need to pay for membership for sub accounts as you did for Xbox 360 - not sure if you do for Xbox One though). The free games themselves normally make the membership worthwhile (from my experience with the PS3 offers).

Microsoft have just announced that Xbox Gold members will also get free games every month from some time next year.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 769
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

An ifixit teardown has also revealed that the PS4 has a secondary CPU with its own 256MB of DDR3 memory.

 

It is suspected that it is used for network tasks such as streaming, system updates, and background tasks. It is likely to be responsible for caching  the last 15mins of playback and the future Gaikai streaming for PS3 games, taking the workload off the main CPU.

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2701
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

professorhat wrote:

manicm wrote:

Don't fool yourself in anyway that Sony is looking out for the consumer any more than Microsoft.

So as far as fleecing the consumer goes - they both get the EDITED medal.

Not fooling myself at all - both are looking out for the consumer as much as possible whilst still maximising their profits - not looking out for the consumer is extremely bad for business and Sony and Microsoft are pretty good at listening to their customers. Neither are "fleecing the consumer" - they offer a product for a price and those that are happy to pay and feel they are getting value for money will do so. Those that don't, won't.

However, none of this changes my original point in that, considering the Xbox One purely as a media hub (i.e. ignoring the gaming side), you really need to take account of the Xbox Gold Live fee on top of any other subscriptions. With the PS4, you don't need this. Will many people pay for the subscriptions despite this in order to get online gaming? Yes, probably and especially those buying Day One. However, as per the PS3, many may purchase one of the consoles when they come down in price mostly for media playback, and they may well be surprised (and quite miffed) to find out they have to pay for this subscription to get online streaming services with the Xbox One if they haven't researched it properly.

Microsoft and, to a lesser extent Sony, ARE fleecing the customer:

Let's start with the XB1 - they provide you with state-of-the-art hardware, and then expect you to cough up for something that's free on any other device i.e. using Skype??? Netflix??? Please! That's FLEECING.

Sony, at the start at least, cripple streaming, MP3 and CD playback!!!!!! They knew that many, many people, used the PS3 as a media hub, and they chose to totally ignore that??? Great way to maintain customer loyalty Sony - you've learned nothing.

Also, from other reviews I've read, blu-ray playback is sometimes proving to be buggy on the PS4.

Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12842
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

manicm wrote:

Sony, at the start at least, cripple streaming, MP3 and CD playback!!!!!! They knew that many, many people, used the PS3 as a media hub, and they chose to totally ignore that??? Great way to maintain customer loyalty Sony - you've learned nothing.

MP3 & CD support is coming soon via an update.

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

manicm wrote:

Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

Yup - see how that works! You're not happy with the value being provided so you're not buying one. No fleecing there.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my PS4 Friday to start playing games. No fleecing there either.

The consoles cost a certain amount and the online services cost a certain amount. You have a choice on whether you feel that cost is worth it and you make your choice. No one is being fleeced.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2943
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

professorhat wrote:

manicm wrote:

Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

Yup - see how that works! You're not happy with the value being provided so you're not buying one. No fleecing there.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my PS4 Friday to start playing games. No fleecing there either.

The consoles cost a certain amount and the online services cost a certain amount. You have a choice on whether you feel that cost is worth it and you make your choice. No one is being fleeced.

 

It definitely is not fleecing, but both companies are using rather underhand tactics here... "Drop features and wait for public reaction"

It does seem that in many ways that the systems are both a step backwards from the previous generation. 

I will probably buy one at some point, but I must say my initial anticipation is somewhat muted now. I can't be alone in that thinking.

I shall wait a while also now, and see what Steam have to bring to the table and also to see how quickly Sony restiore the features that should have been there in the first place...

 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

fr0g wrote:

It definitely is not fleecing, but both companies are using rather underhand tactics here... "Drop features and wait for public reaction"

It does seem that in many ways that the systems are both a step backwards from the previous generation. 

The interpretation I'm reading from those on the inside is that both of these consoles were somewhat rushed to market, with both Sony and Microsoft attempting to one-up the other by getting it released first. My understanding is the Xbox One was a bit more rushed than the PS4 in order to release the console about the same time, hence why a number of the features that were announced back in May haven't made it in the released console (e.g. streaming live gameplay, Dolby Digital encoding + there's a feeling a few of the games have been rushed to meet launch date with Forza 5 for instance missing many things that were present in Forza 4).

Sony's strategy for the PS4 has always been "this is for the players" - it seems they are very much looking at this as a games console first and foremost (unlike with PS3), and therefore haven't concentrated on the media functions that everyone assumed would be part of it (because they were present in the PS3). I'm sure once they feel they've got the gaming side of the console nailed down and running smoothly, time and effort will then go into getting the media playback parts of the console sorted. From what I've read, the console seems to run more reliably than the Xbox One (assuming you're not getting the blue light issue!), with most people saying it runs lightning quick with no crashing. The Xbox One on the other hand seems to take a while to get going and has been known to crash on occasion.

This is my opinion based on what I've been reading over the past few months (though I would say I've been reading a lot about this in my anticipation!). It's certainly not all fact, but it makes more sense to me than either Sony / Microsoft deliberately leaving out features with some evil schemes of "fleecing" or conning their customers. As I've said, treating your customers with contempt this way is bad for business, and both Sony and Microsoft know this all too well. If anything, it's just down to bad planning / thoughtlessness (though more likely, it's a choice of getting "A" or "B" implemented for launch, so they've left out "B" for now), and I'm sure both systems' issues and shortcomings will be patched and remedied over time.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 981
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

professorhat wrote:

fr0g wrote:

It definitely is not fleecing, but both companies are using rather underhand tactics here... "Drop features and wait for public reaction"

It does seem that in many ways that the systems are both a step backwards from the previous generation. 

The interpretation I'm reading from those on the inside is that both of these consoles were somewhat rushed to market, with both Sony and Microsoft attempting to one-up the other by getting it released first. My understanding is the Xbox One was a bit more rushed than the PS4 in order to release the console about the same time, hence why a number of the features that were announced back in May haven't made it in the released console (e.g. streaming live gameplay, Dolby Digital encoding + there's a feeling a few of the games have been rushed to meet launch date with Forza 5 for instance missing many things that were present in Forza 4).

Sony's strategy for the PS4 has always been "this is for the players" - it seems they are very much looking at this as a games console first and foremost (unlike with PS3), and therefore haven't concentrated on the media functions that everyone assumed would be part of it (because they were present in the PS3). I'm sure once they feel they've got the gaming side of the console nailed down and running smoothly, time and effort will then go into getting the media playback parts of the console sorted. From what I've read, the console seems to run more reliably than the Xbox One (assuming you're not getting the blue light issue!), with most people saying it runs lightning quick with no crashing. The Xbox One on the other hand seems to take a while to get going and has been known to crash on occasion.

This is my opinion based on what I've been reading over the past few months (though I would say I've been reading a lot about this in my anticipation!). It's certainly not all fact, but it makes more sense to me than either Sony / Microsoft deliberately leaving out features with some evil schemes of "fleecing" or conning their customers. As I've said, treating your customers with contempt this way is bad for business, and both Sony and Microsoft know this all too well. If anything, it's just down to bad planning / thoughtlessness (though more likely, it's a choice of getting "A" or "B" implemented for launch, so they've left out "B" for now), and I'm sure both systems' issues and shortcomings will be patched and remedied over time.

 

You sound very optomistic Prof,must be all that sea air your getting in Worthing.What sort of Property did you get then?Oh does the coffee taste better down there  :grin:
professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

RodhasGibson wrote:

You sound very optomistic Prof,must be all that sea air your getting in Worthing.

I do like it down here!

RodhasGibson wrote:

What sort of Property did you get then?Oh does the coffee taste better down there  :grin:

We're in a rented first floor maisonette at the moment - still a bit to go before we've saved enough for deposit for new house. Coffee tastes good now we found the box which had the coffee machine's parts in it!!

 

The owls are not what they seem...

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 981
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

We're in a rented first floor maisonette at the moment - still a bit to go before we've saved enough for deposit for new house. Coffee tastes good now we found the box which had the coffee machine's parts in it!!

Ha. well played Prof,hope you've got a sea view or are only a short stroll away.What's the broadband like there?


professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

Not quite a sea view, but it's only 10 to 15 mins stroll down the road (actually in Goring-By-Sea). And broadband is good - Plusnet fibre gives me up to 80 Mbps in theory, but I think it's actually about 40ish.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2701
RE: Hi JDYep using IE at work

If Sony are marketing the PS4 as a purely gaming machine then I think they were incredibly stupid. They gleaned nothing from PS3 owners? Do people buy expensive smartphones only to make voice calls? Do they really think in this time of digital convergence they could count on a singularly-minded device that will be in people's lounges? Whoever marketed it as such ought to be summarily shot.

In 6 months time I may well get a PS4, but only if they fix up Blu-ray playback (gel posted a review which was not flattering in that regard, to understate a fact), and enable DNLA. There's no reason why anyone should have 2 Blu-ray devices in the same room. Movies should have been perfect out of the box at day one. Idiots.

 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: Hi JDYep using IE at work

manicm wrote:

If Sony are marketing the PS4 as a purely gaming machine then I think they were incredibly stupid. They gleaned nothing from PS3 owners? Do people buy expensive smartphones only to make voice calls? Do they really think in this time of digital convergence they could count on a singularly-minded device that will be in people's lounges? Whoever marketed it as such ought to be summarily shot.

Not that I like to disagree, but with over one million sold within 24 hours (and an estimated 2.3 million on back order) in North America alone, I think they must be doing something right. We'll see how many units ship across Europe on Friday, but I suspect they're easily going to achieve the most successful console launch of all time. 

So I suspect whoever was involved (including the person or persons who came up with marketing the console as "for the players") is feeling fairly safe in their job right now.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

carter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 27/08/2008 - 23:58
Posts: 1963
RE: PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

My one is due on Friday but amazon still hasn't taken the money,will they email when it's been sent?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments