Have your say & ask the experts!

Playstation store is back online.

28 replies [Last post]
professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: Gaming

aliEnRIK wrote:
Did YOU know about them?

Nope.

aliEnRIK wrote:
Do you not think its unfair?

Not really, but I can just about understand why some people might be a bit annoyed that they missed out, but that's it. And I wouldn't expect them to be annoyed at Sony, just annoyed that they didn't get the offer.

To be disgusted about it just seems to be a bit overboard from my point of view, when all that happened is they gave away something free and some people missed out on the offer. Would you have been less disgusted if they'd given no HD films to anyone? I would assume so as we wouldn't even be having this conversation if there had been no offer. To be disgusted (or even annoyed) that some people got something for free because they were online and others weren't just doesn't make sense in my mind.

For example - I was walking through Victoria station the other day and some people were giving out free cans of Coke Zero. There was no marketing anywhere outside to indicate this was happening - should we be disgusted with Coca Cola that only people who went into Victoria station got this offer and not the people who walked past outside?

 

aliEnRIK's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3695
RE: Gaming

So you wouldnt be bothered if youd missed out on the free games and playstation+ either?

Hey, your call: just dont have a go at me for not being happy about it

 

By the way, the coke analogy is rubbish. Coke doesnt affect me at all. Sony getting hacked with my details in them does (Even if just morally)

__________________

Marantz AV8003 Pre Amp. Musical Fidelity A5 Power Amp. Arcam P1000 Power Amp. Monitor Audio Silver 8i and surrounds. Oppo 95. Sony 46W5500. PS3. 16 core braided mains cables. Atlas Titan and Ascent cables. Isotek Sigmas. Balanced mains transformer.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Gaming

professorhat wrote:

aliEnRIK wrote:
Did YOU know about them?

Nope.

aliEnRIK wrote:
Do you not think its unfair?

Not really, but I can just about understand why some people might be a bit annoyed that they missed out, but that's it. And I wouldn't expect them to be annoyed at Sony, just annoyed that they didn't get the offer.

To be disgusted about it just seems to be a bit overboard from my point of view, when all that happened is they gave away something free and some people missed out on the offer. Would you have been less disgusted if they'd given no HD films to anyone? I would assume so as we wouldn't even be having this conversation if there had been no offer. To be disgusted (or even annoyed) that some people got something for free because they were online and others weren't just doesn't make sense in my mind.

For example - I was walking through Victoria station the other day and some people were giving out free cans of Coke Zero. There was no marketing anywhere outside to indicate this was happening - should we be disgusted with Coca Cola that only people who went into Victoria station got this offer and not the people who walked past outside?

 

Tbh the movies they were giving away for free rental were all useless anyway so there's absolutely no reason to get annoyed as they were Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Resident Evil CGI Film and The House Of The Dead 2....all complete tripe at best and best avoided in the first place lol!

I did see them on the movie section in PSN and then laughed...is that the best they could come up with when Sony own one of the biggest movie companies in the world?? To offer these movies as compensation for the debacle of PSN being down for so long is an insult imo and Sony just weren't even trying especially when the game offerings are so good in comparison, i'm wondering if it's more a case of the PSN movie rental/own system just not being very popular? They have only just started adding a 5.1 soundtrack to movies on there for example.

 

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: Gaming

Agree with you there OldBoy, this all comes from the speculation that these movies were offered for free for compensation for the downtime of the PSN. However, I've not seen any official annoucement about this - it only lists the free games and the 30 day Playstation Plus package for this. So I don't think anyone can justly complain when it was never offered (though others clearly feel differently).

I suspect, as you say, this was just an attempt to boost popularity for the movie download service and has nothing to do with the outages - though again, I agree, it's a baffling choice of movies to try and achieve this!

 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: Gaming

aliEnRIK wrote:
Sony getting hacked with my details in them does (Even if just morally)

Always a risk when you give any company any personal data I'm afraid - I see Nintendo and various other organisations have been hit recently. The only way to avoid it is not to do it. I do find it interesting that no one has anywhere near as much to say about the actual hackers compared with the hatred poured on to Sony.

aliEnRIK wrote:
Coke doesnt affect me at all.

That's not true - it rots your teeth Laughing

 

aliEnRIK's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3695
RE: Gaming

Oldboy wrote:

 

Tbh the movies they were giving away for free rental were all useless anyway so there's absolutely no reason to get annoyed as they were Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Resident Evil CGI Film and The House Of The Dead 2....all complete tripe at best and best avoided in the first place lol!

I did see them on the movie section in PSN and then laughed...is that the best they could come up with when Sony own one of the biggest movie companies in the world?? To offer these movies as compensation for the debacle of PSN being down for so long is an insult imo and Sony just weren't even trying especially when the game offerings are so good in comparison, i'm wondering if it's more a case of the PSN movie rental/own system just not being very popular? They have only just started adding a 5.1 soundtrack to movies on there for example.

 

 

Horses for courses

I think Final Fantasy looks amazing in HD - and im a  Resi fan anyways

personally I have no interest in any of them as I already have 2 of them in HD and the last is utter rubbish (But ive downloaded it anyways out of sheer intrigue as to how decent the store is for HD)

Regardless, it would be nice to know that they exist for me to download them in the 1st place

__________________

Marantz AV8003 Pre Amp. Musical Fidelity A5 Power Amp. Arcam P1000 Power Amp. Monitor Audio Silver 8i and surrounds. Oppo 95. Sony 46W5500. PS3. 16 core braided mains cables. Atlas Titan and Ascent cables. Isotek Sigmas. Balanced mains transformer.

aliEnRIK's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3695
RE: Gaming

professorhat wrote:

Agree with you there OldBoy, this all comes from the speculation that these movies were offered for free for compensation for the downtime of the PSN. However, I've not seen any official annoucement about this - it only lists the free games and the 30 day Playstation Plus package for this. So I don't think anyone can justly complain when it was never offered (though others clearly feel differently).

I suspect, as you say, this was just an attempt to boost popularity for the movie download service and has nothing to do with the outages - though again, I agree, it's a baffling choice of movies to try and achieve this!

 

Im not going to say this for certain as its been taken down now (Seems to be the case with a lot on the sony PSN site), but im pretty sure the webpage mentioned they were free due to the hacking debacle

Even if im wrong about this (I literally 'skim' read it so im not 100% sure myself), as sony send emails every week about PSN updates, that was one I would have been possibly interested in

As it stands, it must have passed most PSN users by completely

__________________

Marantz AV8003 Pre Amp. Musical Fidelity A5 Power Amp. Arcam P1000 Power Amp. Monitor Audio Silver 8i and surrounds. Oppo 95. Sony 46W5500. PS3. 16 core braided mains cables. Atlas Titan and Ascent cables. Isotek Sigmas. Balanced mains transformer.

aliEnRIK's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3695
RE: Gaming

professorhat wrote:

 

Always a risk when you give any company any personal data I'm afraid - I see Nintendo and various other organisations have been hit recently. The only way to avoid it is not to do it. I do find it interesting that no one has anywhere near as much to say about the actual hackers compared with the hatred poured on to Sony.

 

Not so with me at all. I kind of feel sorry for Sony. Kind of because theyre a huge corporation that thought they could get away with anything and it majorly back fired on them

Im in the camp that I own my PS3, what I do with it is upto me entirely. If I was clever enough to crack it and write my own software for it thats entirely my choice. If somone else is clever enough to crack it and write software for it, so long as the software itself was legal (ie - not breaking copyright laws or whatever), then it should be entirely my choice if I decide to use that software or not, even taking into account I might never be able to play online or use PSN again

Sony shot themselves in the foot by taking that right away from me

Now I do feel sorry for them as this hacking lark has cost millions and people have posted seething hatred at sony for 'allowing' (!) themselves to be hacked

That is wrong. Anyone anywhere can be hacked, its not sonys fault they were hacked (Although morally I see why they were hacked). For people to blame sony for being hacked is wrong.

My take is this:

Its free to use so no one can complain at that.

But ive entrusted sony with some of my personal details which in my view theyve failed to protect. Not because they were hacked, but because their protection of the information was very poor (And not just on PSN it seems)

I felt I was due some form of compensation due to the PSN service being down for more than 2 days. 2 free games and the playstation + membership for a month im happy with (Although I can understand why some people are upset with them being such old games. I personally already owned 2 of them)

But I also like to be treated fairly. So regardless of why the vids were offered, and putting the quality of them aside, I feel sony should be doing more to inform me that they exist at all.

However, I must also give praise to sony for turning PSN off at all (And especially for such a long period of time knowing that that in itself will upset a lot of PSN users). Some online websites who shall remain nameless decided that it doesnt matter that theyve been hacked and that members details are at risk, they should keep on running it anyways!

__________________

Marantz AV8003 Pre Amp. Musical Fidelity A5 Power Amp. Arcam P1000 Power Amp. Monitor Audio Silver 8i and surrounds. Oppo 95. Sony 46W5500. PS3. 16 core braided mains cables. Atlas Titan and Ascent cables. Isotek Sigmas. Balanced mains transformer.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Gaming

Well said aliEnRIK but i would point out that Sony did bring the hacking attack on themselves. It all goes back to when they took a now famous hacker to court over breaking the PS3 infrastructure, the person in question never done anything with it as it's impossible to anything useful with it but the fact that he posted how he done it for all to see over the net rattled a few cages at Sony.

Sony of course were well within their rights to take this action BUT Sony would definately have known at the time the possible consequences of taking this action as the hacker community are very proactive when threatened! I'm not saying Sony should never have taken any action atall but they should have been aware of what would happen if they did and protected themsleves and their customers against any possible retaliation...they obviously didn't or perhaps thought that hackers would not react to an isolated case, who knows.

What i'm trying to say (poorly i admit lol) is that Sony could have handled the initial breaking of the PS3 much better and avoided the whole retaliation senario that played out after wards, every console in the last decade has been broken but no one went after those responsible in quiet the manner that Sony did and therefore alot of the blame must be placed at their door i'm afraid.

I've no love for hackers i must add and it drove me mad that they brought down the entire PSN network for so long but from my point of view Sony started it....now the hackers are trying to finish it, and Sony!

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

kena's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 1038
RE: Gaming

Can't get why Sony started it, okay probably a bit of corporate sledgehammer attitude but perfectly legal , but hackers in general should be sought out and prosecuted they are NOT speaking for the masses and ulterior motives exist in some cases,

An exception I can think of is Gary McKinnon (or anyone) who hacks a system setup with default credentials of admin/password etc. The IT personnel who didn't change defaults are the ones who should be prosecuted.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Gaming

kena wrote:
Can't get why Sony started it, okay probably a bit of corporate sledgehammer attitude but perfectly legal , but hackers in general should be sought out and prosecuted they are NOT speaking for the masses and ulterior motives exist in some cases, An exception I can think of is Gary McKinnon (or anyone) who hacks a system setup with default credentials of admin/password etc. The IT personnel who didn't change defaults are the ones who should be prosecuted.

It was more about the way they went about it...if they didn't go about it in such a public manner i don't think they would have suffered from the large scale hacking. Sony have T&C's in place when it comes to the PS3 to stop any breaking of the console which is perfectly acceptable and legal BUT the problem arrises when you pay £300 for the console and in effect it's not yours to do with as you please which raises the question of just what do you own??

In that respect i can see the hackers point...if you pay your £300 for the console should you not then be able to do with it as you please AND just how far can such T&C's go? Currently you can't even remove the cover without breaking the warranty seal for example even though you paid for the console, it's just a little ott imo as every console gets broken eventually and there's little you can do to stop the most determined people...there is a site that buys consoles just to take them apart for example!

I agree that hackers should be sought and prosecuted but this time they raised an issue that i genuinely feel has some merit, i have no love for hackers of any kind but the issue is one that deserves consideration, that's all.

 

 

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: Gaming

Didn't the guy do it so it could effectively run pirated games and then publish this on the internet? And that's the reason Sony clamped down on it? In which case, it's not really about just being able to do what you want with something you've purchased without interference, it's Sony attempting to protect themselves (and their game developers) from the massive losses that piracy can bring. And then the inevitable rise in the price of games as honest gamers have to pay for those who run them for free.

 

aliEnRIK's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3695
RE: Gaming

Ive recently downloaded 2 free games for my PSP but thought id let anyone know thats having similar problems: after installing the 1st game, when I tried to find a 2nd game it kept coming up with some form of error

The way around this is sign into 'account management' Transaction management' 'Services List' and select the promotions to go direct to a working screen

__________________

Marantz AV8003 Pre Amp. Musical Fidelity A5 Power Amp. Arcam P1000 Power Amp. Monitor Audio Silver 8i and surrounds. Oppo 95. Sony 46W5500. PS3. 16 core braided mains cables. Atlas Titan and Ascent cables. Isotek Sigmas. Balanced mains transformer.