Have your say & ask the experts!

Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

286 replies [Last post]
bob.g's picture
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Thanks for fast response.

My channel 'list' also goes to Ch 69, but when I do a manual tune on Ch 55 there is no signal available. I guess I'll need to wait till phase two of the DSO.

Sound and picture go to an (old) amplifier from a scart on the PVR to video and audio left/right into the amp. All connections have been checked.

On Menu > Preferences > AV Setup / Dolby Digital the setting is Auto - and not altered since before the update.

professorhat's picture

bob.g wrote:

My channel 'list' also goes to Ch 69, but when I do a manual tune on Ch 55 there is no signal available. I guess I'll need to wait till phase two of the DSO.

Yes, sounds like it I think.

bob.g wrote:

Sound and picture go to an (old) amplifier from a scart on the PVR to video and audio left/right into the amp. All connections have been checked.

Could be worth running a separate red / white phono lead from the audio output connection on the PVR to the amp. I don't see why this would be required, but worth a try to see if it sorts the issue. Definitely worth reporting to MIT whatever the outcome though as this should work as you have it connected.

bob.g wrote:

On Menu > Preferences > AV Setup / Dolby Digital the setting is Auto - and not altered since before the update.

Try changing this to Off. Again, no reason why it should need changing so worth repoting to MIT even if it works to see if they can find the issue and get a fix.

bob.g's picture

I've swapped the audio and video connections with those used by my Freesat box, which I know works, and still no sound. This proves that it's a software fault in the DS. I'll call MIT to discuss.

bob.g

bob.g's picture

Problem solved. I called MIT and they advised me to run update 4.12 through the top rear USB port. I did this and now have sound.

Thanks

bob.g

professorhat's picture

bob.g wrote:

Problem solved. I called MIT and they advised me to run update 4.12 through the top rear USB port. I did this and now have sound.

Thanks

bob.g

Good to know. So I guess there's a bug with 4.13 if you're outputting through the Scart socket.

suzie44's picture

professorhat thank you very very much for your great write up on the DHR-8205U it is so helpful.

You said there is another update and The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder.

So this is where I am a bit confused I downloaded the 3 updates there are 2 zip files and another file called Release.
I unziped the zip files and got 2 image files, 1 bin file, 3 files don't know what kind they are and 2 more zip files now I have 7 assorted files and 2 new zip files do I unzip the new zip files?

Sorry for babbling on but I really don't understand what to do I did an update in August and don't remember having any problems.

Thank you for any help.

professorhat's picture

Hi there, sorry for the late reply, was away for the weekend.

At the moment, there are three downloads, which actually represent two different updates available (link here), labelled thusly:

4.13.r8637-FVU (9th Sep. 2011) DOWN

Major improvements-413 DOWN

4.13.r8638-FVU (For BBC HD Audio Downmix) DOWN

Number 1 is the standard update and number 2 is a PDF file which just contains details of the new features and bugfixes of the update. Number 3 is a different version of the update for people who just use certain settings in stereo - the issue is that the BBC keep fiddling with the sound codecs and formats of some of their programming on BBC HD and this gives issues for some people using stereo setups when some 5.1 programmes are shown. For people with these issues, number 3 contains a different firmware which fixes this (hence why it's labelled "For BBC HD Audio Downmix").

So, to update, you need to use either the file linked under number 1, or the update linked under number 3. I would recommed using number 1 first, and then only applying the number 3 update if you find you're getting issues with sound on some 5.1 programmes on BBC HD.

Hope this clarifies things, let me know if you need more info.

suzie44's picture

Thank you again you are a star excellent!

I will do it tomorrow as I won't be home tonight.

Edit to say I did it this morning and it worked a treat thank you good job

professorhat's picture

suzie44 wrote:

Thank you again you are a star excellent!

I will do it tomorrow as I won't be home tonight.

Edit to say I did it this morning and it worked a treat thank you good job

Good stuff!

Fraz1's picture

I bought a digital stream some time ago but had to return it as I could not pick up HD channels. That problem has now been sorted and I think I will go ahead and get one. Now I know there are over 200 posts on this topic and I don't have time to read them all. My question is this, I will have to do firmware updates. How many updates are required and are their links? I have a data traveller usb which should be compatible.

thanks

Nad C542 cd, Nad C352 amp,Epos M5 speakers on Custom design stands,Chord company chorus interconnect,DNM precision speaker cable.

Fraz1's picture

I bought a digital stream some time ago but had to return it as I could not pick up HD channels. That problem has now been sorted and I think I will go ahead and get one. Now I know there are over 200 posts on this topic and I don't have time to read them all. My question is this, I will have to do firmware updates. How many updates are required and are their links? I have a data traveller usb which should be compatible.

thanks

Nad C542 cd, Nad C352 amp,Epos M5 speakers on Custom design stands,Chord company chorus interconnect,DNM precision speaker cable.

professorhat's picture

Fraz1 wrote:

thanks

You probably will have to do an update (but only the one to the latest version) - current version is 4.13. To check, once you have it, go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

To update, follow the process I've detailed below in a previous response. Also, note the post a little bit further up this page about the three downloads.

professorhat wrote:

Another new update now available here.

This offers the following:

New Features
- Auto Folder creation for series bookings (Menu > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Series Folder Off/On)

Bug Fixes
- Non-stop recording issue is fixed
- Fixed the crash problem in case of illegal Date/Time is received from the signal
- Fixed the Initialise option at system logging which caused logging no usable
- Fixed the sorting problem for Radio recorded programmes

The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder). Next, switch on the Digital Stream and insert into one of the USB ports (front port is fine). Go to Menu > Others > Maintenance > Software Update. Once completed, allow to reboot and then go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

Alternatively, you can do the full reboot update via the method outlined here (there's no reason to though, unless you haven't performed an update in a very long time and need to get the new 1.33 version of the Micom). Bear in mind, if you do this, you will lose your scheduled recordings i.e. your list of programmes due to be recorded, not your actual recordings (this doesn't happen with the method outlined above). Therefore, if you do want to use this method, remember to backup your schedules to a USB stick before applying the update, through Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Backup DB. Once completed, apply the update, rescan all channels and then use the Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Restore DB to restore all your scheduled recordings and channels as they were before.

Another update is due November according to Digital Stream, but no indications as to what it will contain as yet.

tom83cat's picture

Hi Professor,

It has been ages since I was on these forums and actually logged in to post a reply to anything.  I came back for advice on PVR's because the analogue signal has been turned off where my grandad (84) lives and he was no longer able to record anything on his VHS.  I initially headed straight for the reviews and thought Humax was the way forward.  But then I checked the forums and found this unbelievably informative post.  Of course this threw another box into the mix and I spent another hour or so doing more research to see if it was the right thing to get seeing as I had not heard the name before.

Well, I bought it from John Lewis on a price match for £149.99.  I matched it to one on sale in Maplin.  The floor manager couldn't beleive that I managed to get it so cheap.  They were incredibly helpful in store.  I had intially called up to see if they could do me a price match over the phone but I was told it would be 48 hours.  I needed it quick because of travelling to my grandads to set it all up, so I decided to go into Bluewater John Lewis anyway, buy the item and then get the price match retrospectively.  But thanks to the excellent staff in the AV department, they looked it up on-line and honoured it immediately.  AWESOME!!

I set it up and did the update mentioned above with no effort whatsoever.  I find the box incredibly intuitive and didn't even need to open the instructions.  My grandad on the other hand is struggling somewhat.  Although he was able to successfully program an old panny VHS to timer record (which I can remember being a quite difficult task where I often found myself recording the wrong channel or missing the program altogether) he cannot even begin to grasp the EPG.  I also spent 30 minutes teaching him how to turn the subtitles on and off.

Anyway, what I mean to say is thank you Professor!  You have helped me a few years back with my own AV kit (would you believe that before coming to these forums I thought Bose Acoustimass was the best thing you could get!!!), you have helped me with this and I am sure I will find one of your posts again to help me in spending my dough on whatever tech should be available in the future.

And now the pun.... Hats off to you good fellow!

Tom

professorhat's picture

Good stuff, glad it has helped! I've seen a number of others who've purchased one for an elderly relative - the only other thing I've seen people recommend which might make life easier is to think about one of the cheaper Logitech remotes (e.g. the 300). This is because some of the buttons on the Digital Stream remote are very small and difficult to read (for anyone!). It will also mean they can control their TV and the PVR from the same remote which obviously keeps things simpler.

Hope all goes well - give us a shout if there are any questions and I'll do me best to help!

se7en's picture

Hi Professorhat

Id just like to say my digital stream box is working wonderfully after the digital switchover. All Hd channels are crisp whilst having great signal strength and quality.

Question if i didnt need my tv tuner to work ie power saving management  set to ON i have it currently OFF does this effect the day to day workings of the digital stream at all like series recordings etc??? Or anything else you may know of.

Many thanks once again