Have your say & ask the experts!

Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

286 replies [Last post]
professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

No worries, though technically it was Mr Toast who provided the link Smile

If you don't mind the front buttons being disabled, it looks like that's the best bet. If you would really like them re-enabled, there is a different Micom version that you can try, but it's not generally available. I may be able to lay my hands on it if you're interested though.

 

se7en's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 44
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Hi

 

This a question to professorhat, i have just got the digital stream DHR8205U after your great review, and after having hands on experience with the humax hdr foxt2 and sonys 500 gb and 1tb, the digital stream seemed the best one both in terms of value for money and ease of use.

My question is i want to record the forthcoming rugby world cup do i just epg it and series link from the first game????

Also i am on the emley moor transmiter and the four freeview hd channels seem dicey signal wise.

I have retuned due to it being the first date for digital switchover in this area, however do you know if on the 21st of sept the second date for emley moor switchover, if the freeview hd channels will be better. Oh i also live in apartment so i have heard of filters on communial areial.....?

Thank you for helping me choose a great pvr and the useful updates on it.

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

se7en wrote:

Hi

This a question to professorhat, i have just got the digital stream DHR8205U after your great review, and after having hands on experience with the humax hdr foxt2 and sonys 500 gb and 1tb, the digital stream seemed the best one both in terms of value for money and ease of use.

Hi there! Glad you found the review helpful - need to get it updated really as been a few changes since the last update!

se7en wrote:

My question is i want to record the forthcoming rugby world cup do i just epg it and series link from the first game????

Yup, that should be all you need to do - though I'm pretty sure you'll need to set a Series Link for the first game on each different channel that is showing the games. I'm not really a rugby fan so haven't set it myself, but this is all I've needed to do for other tournaments and the likes of the Formula 1, so can't see why it would be any different.

se7en wrote:

Also i am on the emley moor transmiter and the four freeview hd channels seem dicey signal wise.

I have retuned due to it being the first date for digital switchover in this area, however do you know if on the 21st of sept the second date for emley moor switchover, if the freeview hd channels will be better. Oh i also live in apartment so i have heard of filters on communial areial.....?

Thank you for helping me choose a great pvr and the useful updates on it.

When you say dicey, what do you mean? If picture and sound is fine, but the signal strength and quality meters look very poor, don't worry about this. Mine are consistently around the 30% figure for signal and 50% for quality on the HD channels and I've never had any issues. From what I've read, many people get the same as well, so it's not uncommon.

If on the other hand you're getting breakup, it's worth checking your HDMI cable (as per previous answer in this thread). Wherever possible, keep the HDMI cable separate from the power lead. If you're getting consistent issues, try using a Scart cable and look for breakup on the HD channels with this - you won't get HD picture on Scart, but it lets you know if you're getting interference on your HDMI cable if the picture is fine using Scart. If it is this, it's best to get a new HDMI cable with better shielding - this doesn't have to be an expensive cable as some people report no issues with the freebie cable they're using. Best bet is to try a few from a shop which will let you return them if you're not satisfied.

Hope this helps!

 

dave_k's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 510
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

professorhat wrote:

No worries, though technically it was Mr Toast who provided the link Smile

If you don't mind the front buttons being disabled, it looks like that's the best bet. If you would really like them re-enabled, there is a different Micom version that you can try, but it's not generally available. I may be able to lay my hands on it if you're interested though.

 

My thanks to Mr T also!

__________________

DigitalStream DHR8205U, Sony BDP-S360, Nintendo Wii - Panasonic 42PZ85B - Q Acoustics TV2X

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Another new update now available here.

This offers the following:

New Features
- Auto Folder creation for series bookings (Menu > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Series Folder Off/On)

Bug Fixes
- Non-stop recording issue is fixed
- Fixed the crash problem in case of illegal Date/Time is received from the signal
- Fixed the Initialise option at system logging which caused logging no usable
- Fixed the sorting problem for Radio recorded programmes

The easiest way to upgrade is to download the files from the above link, then copy them to the root of a USB stick (i.e. just the 8 files straight on to the USB stick, not contained within the folder). Next, switch on the Digital Stream and insert into one of the USB ports (front port is fine). Go to Menu > Others > Maintenance > Software Update. Once completed, allow to reboot and then go to Menu > Others > Diagnostics > System Information - it should now say 4.13.r8637 next to Application.

Alternatively, you can do the full reboot update via the method outlined here (there's no reason to though, unless you haven't performed an update in a very long time and need to get the new 1.33 version of the Micom). Bear in mind, if you do this, you will lose your scheduled recordings i.e. your list of programmes due to be recorded, not your actual recordings (this doesn't happen with the method outlined above). Therefore, if you do want to use this method, remember to backup your schedules to a USB stick before applying the update, through Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Backup DB. Once completed, apply the update, rescan all channels and then use the Menu > Others > Maintenance > Backup/Restore DB > Restore DB to restore all your scheduled recordings and channels as they were before.

Another update is due November according to Digital Stream, but no indications as to what it will contain as yet.

 

bob.g's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 419
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Prof

I can't receive Mux D, Channel 55, and that appears to be because the transmitter (Sutton Coldfield) is on very low power for this frequency. I've been advised to try a manual retune on Ch 55 to see if the PVR can detect it that way, but when I go to the manual tune screen it is set at Ch 21 and I can't see a way to force it to look at Ch 55.

Any tips, or do I just need to wait till after phase two of the DSO on September  21st ?

bob.g

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

bob.g wrote:

Prof

I can't receive Mux D, Channel 55, and that appears to be because the transmitter (Sutton Coldfield) is on very low power for this frequency. I've been advised to try a manual retune on Ch 55 to see if the PVR can detect it that way, but when I go to the manual tune screen it is set at Ch 21 and I can't see a way to force it to look at Ch 55.

Any tips, or do I just need to wait till after phase two of the DSO on September  21st ?

bob.g

Hi Bob

When I go to manual tuning section, it's default is Channel 21, but clicking OK on this then allows me to change it - I can see Channel 55 available in the list. Do you not get this?

 

bob.g's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 419
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

No.

If I click 'Scan' on Ch 21 then it does just that, and returns 0 channels. I cannot see how to increment the channels to 55.

se7en's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 44
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Hi Professorhat,

 

The series link is recording just fine for all the rugby world cup and like you said match of the day thus far very happy.

 

I have tried using a scart and it seems i get no breakup that i can see however i have tried the digitalstream in a couple of different locations aerial points and seem to get break up on itv ch4 ch5 and all hd channels so it cant just be Hdmi or can it?

Signal seems stable however quality goes goes up and down like a yoyo on the system signal information bars.. Everything else is absolutley brilliant with the digital stream.

Could you think of or trying doing anything else??

 

Many thanks

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

bob.g wrote:

No.

If I click 'Scan' on Ch 21 then it does just that, and returns 0 channels. I cannot see how to increment the channels to 55.

Don't click on Scan, highlight the Channel : 21 entry, then click the OK button on the remote. This should then bring up a new menu to change this to Channel 55.

 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

se7en wrote:

The series link is recording just fine for all the rugby world cup and like you said match of the day thus far very happy.

Good stuff!

se7en wrote:

I have tried using a scart and it seems i get no breakup that i can see however i have tried the digitalstream in a couple of different locations aerial points and seem to get break up on itv ch4 ch5 and all hd channels so it cant just be Hdmi or can it?

Signal seems stable however quality goes goes up and down like a yoyo on the system signal information bars.. Everything else is absolutley brilliant with the digital stream.

Could you think of or trying doing anything else??

Well, if it's okay on Scart, it sounds very much like it would be interference on the HDMI cable to me - I have seen a number of instances of this on another forum, so it's not uncommon. Do you have any other cables you can try? If not, maybe you can borrow one from a friend, or go into a local shop and explain the issue and ask if you can get a few to try and then bring them back if it makes no difference?

 

bob.g's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 419
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Thanks, yes that works OK - except still no ch 55 available.

However now another problem - I've just loaded the 4.13 update (on the rear USB, as it didn't work on the front) but although the box works OK on video there's no sound - neither off air or on playback. Is this a known problem ?

bob.g

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11011
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

bob.g wrote:

Thanks, yes that works OK - except still no ch 55 available.

Very bizarre - what number does it go up to? Mine goes up to Channel 69 in that list.

bob.g wrote:

However now another problem - I've just loaded the 4.13 update (on the rear USB, as it didn't work on the front) but although the box works OK on video there's no sound - neither off air or on playback. Is this a known problem ?

bob.g

Nope, not seen any reports of that either. How is your DS connected for sound i.e. is it direct to a TV via HDMI, or into an amplifier of some sort, and if so, how? Also, on the Menu > Preferences > AV Setup section, what do you have for the Dolby Digital setting?

 

se7en's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 44
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Hi Professorhat,

 

I did a bit more digging into the breakup of signal on my digital stream and it is indeed happening with a scart lead as well as the hdmi.....

Is this a case of the digtal stream tuner issues i have read about or more that i need a signal booster to strengthen the signal into the digital stream.

 

Or would you suggest a change to the humax hdr foxt2 (possible better tuners) ??? Both very good boxes but the digital stream has better updates.

 

Many thanks once again

se7en's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 44
RE: Freeview HD PVR - Digital Stream DHR8205U

Hi Professorhat,

 

I did a bit more digging into the breakup of signal on my digital stream and it is indeed happening with a scart lead as well as the hdmi.....

Is this a case of the digtal stream tuner issues i have read about or more that i need a signal booster to strengthen the signal into the digital stream.

 

Or would you suggest a change to the humax hdr foxt2 (possible better tuners) ??? Both very good boxes but the digital stream has better updates.

 

Many thanks once again