34 posts / 0 new
Last post
rs6mra's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2009 - 12:45
Posts: 184
Free Sky Sports F1 channel

I have just received an update from Sky confirming that the new F1 channel would be available free to Sky HD and Sky Sports 1 & 2 customers..............not bad hugh?! At least I would not have to now subscribe to the Sky Sports Channels!!! Smile

 

 

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8337
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

You might want to change the thread title, it's as misleading as Sky's marketing of the F1 channel  :shame:  Smile

Making it available (at no extra cost) to those that have the HD or Sports pack doesn't make it 'Free'

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12873
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

And who's Hugh?

rs6mra's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/01/2009 - 12:45
Posts: 184
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel (At no extra cost)

Ouch!! do educate me further as i am unsure as to how I go about doing the editing............

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6313
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

The_Lhc wrote:

And who's Hugh?

 

Hugh's who?

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 638
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

I would'nt worry to much for those who feel the need to purchase sky, the BBC still have the rights to show 2hours of the race though highlights and as many races don't go past 2 hours you will still get almost full coverage, it will just be a little later in the day 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11034
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

landzw wrote:

I would'nt worry to much for those who feel the need to purchase sky, the BBC still have the rights to show 2hours of the race though highlights and as many races don't go past 2 hours you will still get almost full coverage, it will just be a little later in the day 

Only 2 hours of coverage for those in the Far East - European races only get 90 minutes. And you're assuming those 2 hours will be dedicated to the race - more likely that at least an hour will be pre and post analyses, meaning highlights are likely to be around 45 mins to 60 mins at the very most.

All in all, it's not great. There's no way I'm purchasing Sky just for those races, but I will be seeking out friends who have it to watch those 10 races live.

 

The owls are not what they seem...

eggontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 23/02/2011 - 15:21
Posts: 1418
Free (my butt) Sky Sports F1 channel

I won't personally bother with F1 next year.

There is no point in watching a few full races, bits of others and unfortunately its not exciting enough to warrant a sky subscription just for F1 for me. Granted this season was slightly better than the last few but still lacked some actual thrilling racing.

IMO it is just another nail in the coffin for F1 which is not a patch on what it once was. Touring cars are much more exciting Smile

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12873
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

professorhat wrote:
Only 2 hours of coverage for those in the Far East - European races only get 90 minutes. And you're assuming those 2 hours will be dedicated to the race - more likely that at least an hour will be pre and post analyses, meaning highlights are likely to be around 45 mins to 60 mins at the very most.

I don't know, given the circumstances and the outcry I can't see the BBC being stupid enough to devote 2/3rds of a 90 minute program to analysis when they know the public are already complaining about not getting the races in full.

Quote:
There's no way I'm purchasing Sky just for those races, but I will be seeking out friends who have it to watch those 10 races live.

Come and watch at mine if you want, probably only take you, what, 4 hours to get here?

eggontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 23/02/2011 - 15:21
Posts: 1418
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

The_Lhc wrote:

I don't know, given the circumstances and the outcry I can't see the BBC being stupid enough to devote 2/3rds of a 90 minute program to analysis when they know the public are already complaining about not getting the races in full.

Your kidding right
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12873
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

No. There's no way they'll do the same level of pre and post race nonsense that they do with the live races, even BBC management aren't that stupid.

Of course that's assuming they're allowed to show as much of the race as they want,  if the deal with F1M and Sky only allows them to have 45 minutes of each race it's a different matter.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

'BBC management aren't that stupid'.?????????????????????????????????????

Whose Hugh, that's where you'll find him.

eggontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 23/02/2011 - 15:21
Posts: 1418
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

The_Lhc wrote:

even BBC management aren't that stupid.

They proved they are when they signed the current F1 deal.........
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12873
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

eggontoast wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

even BBC management aren't that stupid.

They proved they are when they signed the current F1 deal.........

FFS, they INITIATED the deal, because they can no longer justify the expense of showing all the races live, blame Bernie for charging too much or the government for cutting the license fee. There are plenty of people to blame for the situation, find the right one for a change.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8337
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

 

I suspect the deal will be short lived. 

Judging by the number of complaints and comments over the net, and the number of people seeking other solutions to watch the races that will be shown on Sky, very few will be subscribing to Sky just for F1, and if all that money they've spent doesn't equate to extra subscribers they'll drop it.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12873
RE: Free Sky Sports F1 channel

daveh75 wrote:
I suspect the deal will be short lived. 

Judging by the number of complaints and comments over the net, and the number of people seeking other solutions to watch the races that will be shown on Sky, very few will be subscribing to Sky just for F1, and if all that money they've spent doesn't equate to extra subscribers they'll drop it.

Thing is only the complainers will be visible on the net, the people who WILL subscribe to Sky won't say so, for fear of being accused of being sheep or supporting Murdoch or whatever (or they just won't be bothered to tell anyone). Also I presume the deal is for a fixed period, so Bernie will have something to say is Sky try to get out of it early.

If it does happen though it'll be back to ITV, if they want it, the BBC won't take it on again. If ITV don't want it or won't pay the asking price, well...

Pages

Log in or register to post comments