Easy Guide - Upgrade the Hard Drive in your Skybox to 2TB
2TB HD Upgrade for around £65
I looked into this a while back but my skybox (DRX-890) would only support a max size of 1TB if the skybox formatted the drive - so 1TB would end up unused.. It was also difficult to copy recordings off the old hard drive because COPY+ did not support the DARWIN firmware on the newer skyboxes.
Anyway now there is a tool than can do all this for you - ExPVR.
If you want to copy your existing recordings over from your old box you have to buy the full version (£15), but if you just want to install a new larger drive the trial version will suffice.
This is the procedure for just installing a new 2TB drive.
- Connect your new 2TB drive to a free sata port on your windows pc.
- Download and run ExPVR on your pc.
- Click Tools -> Format
- Select the 2TB drive and click next. (the drive will only be visible if its has no partitions allocated).
- Select the model of your skybox from the list (eg DRX890)
- Click next and your drive will be FORMATTED
- Click Finish, turn off your pc, disconnect the 2TB drive place it in the Skybox in place of the original.
- Turn on the skybox, wait 1-2mins while it initialises and you now have space for around 400hours of HD.