12 posts / 0 new
Last post
daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8333
BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

"The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free BBC HD channels. The new channels - BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD - will launch by early 2014 and will be offered to all digital television platforms that carry HD channels.*"

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html

his dudeness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2010 - 12:33
Posts: 146
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

brilliant been wanting this for a while,well done the bbc

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15804
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

Excellent news. A much better move than 3D.

BBC4 is the one that I especilly wanted HD on as so many of the documentaries will benefit from higher resolution.

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 978
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

BBC 3 AND 4 will be good for me,pity local news wasn't included though.Sorry just seen We're particularly happy to hear that Auntie also plans to upgrade your local news to HD - which means you won't have to swap to a non-HD channel when BBC Breakfast segues into its local news coverage any more. That's a win.


BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6290
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

Worth noting that BBC 4 HD, cbeebies HD and BBC news HD will initially only be available to 70% of the population. 

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8333
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

BenLaw wrote:

Worth noting that BBC 4 HD, cbeebies HD and BBC news HD will initially only be available to 70% of the population. 

It does mean the programming will be available in HD on iPlayer though, which is better than the ridiculous situation we've had since the closure of BBC HD, whereby bbc3/4 programming can't be streamed in HD because it hasn't been broadcast in HD

scene's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 25/09/2008 - 12:48
Posts: 2967
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

daveh75 wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Worth noting that BBC 4 HD, cbeebies HD and BBC news HD will initially only be available to 70% of the population. 

It does mean the programming will be available in HD on iPlayer though, which is better than the ridiculous situation we've had since the closure of BBC HD, whereby bbc3/4 programming can't be streamed in HD because it hasn't been broadcast in HD

+1 on that. And BBC 3 and 4 on HD is great - all those great documentaries that just haven't been in HD, when things like Antiques Roadshow have been :rant:

themovierooms's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 11/06/2013 - 15:44
Posts: 177
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

chebby wrote:

Excellent news. A much better move than 3D.

BBC4 is the one that I especilly wanted HD on as so many of the documentaries will benefit from higher resolution.

 

I second that. BBC 4 has some really good content.

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 941
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

This is very good news, albeit that some channels, I guess on Freeview repeater transmitters, will take time to reach most people.

NOW IF CHANNEL 4 ARE WATCHING.  CAN WE PLEASE HAVE 4HD IN WALES [Freeview] NOW THAT CLIRLUN HAS BEEN TERMINATED?

Sorry for the 'shouting' but it is very annoying that I cannot access 4HD on Freeview.    |(

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4453
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

relocated wrote:

This is very good news, albeit that some channels, I guess on Freeview repeater transmitters, will take time to reach most people.

NOW IF CHANNEL 4 ARE WATCHING.  CAN WE PLEASE HAVE 4HD IN WALES [Freeview] NOW THAT CLIRLUN HAS BEEN TERMINATED?

Sorry for the 'shouting' but it is very annoying that I cannot access 4HD on Freeview.    |(

Have you considered going the Freesat route? Your problem would be solved without too much expense. Moreover, you shouldn't rely on the powers that be to make rational and/or helpful decisions. 

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 941
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

strapped for cash wrote:

relocated wrote:

This is very good news, albeit that some channels, I guess on Freeview repeater transmitters, will take time to reach most people.

NOW IF CHANNEL 4 ARE WATCHING.  CAN WE PLEASE HAVE 4HD IN WALES [Freeview] NOW THAT CLIRLUN HAS BEEN TERMINATED?

Sorry for the 'shouting' but it is very annoying that I cannot access 4HD on Freeview.    |(

Have you considered going the Freesat route? Your problem would be solved without too much expense. Moreover, you shouldn't rely on the powers that be to make rational and/or helpful decisions. 

Thanks Strapped, I do have Freesat on the tv but I rarely watch tv as it is broadcast.  I record almost everything because I cannot put up with the nauseating adverts and my recorder is a freeview job.  Putting a new lnb on the dish + all the wiring was too much trouble and I, stupidly, didn't imagine that C4 would keep HD out of Wales on Freeview for this long.  

As you say, why would I imagine that 'the powers' would act reasonably and provide equal cover in such a small country as the UK.

trj007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 17/11/2010 - 08:50
Posts: 49
RE: BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

According to ukfree.tv 4HD is available on Freeview in Wales.

Perhaps you need to re-scan your TV or PVR.

Log in or register to post comments