7 posts / 0 new
Last post
adp6003's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 23/09/2013 - 11:54
Posts: 2
Dac advice
English

Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary. 

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly. 

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

 

I listen to a wide variety of music via Spotty premium.

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

 

 

 

skyehound's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/09/2013 - 16:02
Posts: 8
Have a look at the M2Tech

Have a look at the M2Tech Hiface 2 USB DAC. This handles files up to 32/384, which is as high as you can feasibly go at the moment. Its a "USB Dongle" type, similar to the Dragonfly. I bought one around two weeks ago to replace a cheap SMSL DAC and slotted it into my budget system (Asus laptop running JRiver Media Centre 18, Pioneer A-20 amp, Revolver Audio Music One speakers, Audioquest cables/connects). So far I have been very impressed. The high quality files are fantastic, which is pretty much what I had hoped for, but the big suprise has been the tangible improvement to Spotify streamed music. HQ streaming at 320kb sounds superb with this DAC, a real step up and an enjoyable listen. For the record I got the Audioquest Dragontail USB extension lead to connect the DAC to the laptop as it looked a little vulnerable just sticking out of the side. There are a lot of reviews out there suggesting it is significantly better than the Dragonfly, but having never heard the latter, I could not say for sure.

Asus Lamborghini-Pioneer N50-Roksan Kandy K2 BT-Roksan Kandy K2 TR5

Pioneer VSX924-Pioneer BDP150-PS4-XBox 360-Panasonic TX-L32E6B-Mission 707 & Jamo's.

adp6003's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 23/09/2013 - 11:54
Posts: 2
RE: Have a look at the M2Tech

Thanks for the tip, SH. 

I've not come across that one before so I'll do some reading up.

adamrobertshaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 21:51
Posts: 134
RE: Have a look at the M2Tech

The Dragonfly is a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA analogue in. It can automatically switch to fixed line level.

It is a bit lively and uncouth at times. I also thought it introduced a fair bit of gain on the input signal, probably to keep headphone listening just as lively.

The Explorer DAC works the same way when using analogue out. But the Director DAC has left/right RCA analogue out (at twice the price).

 

I am also considering a DAC upgrade but I'm reluctant to dive in wiithout being sure of getting real sonic benefit and also acquiring some future proofing for high res music conversion.

I keep mulling over TEAC 501 and the QuteHD. They'll probably be trumped a week after I get the credit card out. :doh:

Main. Stream X Signature, CD T, DAC XP Signature, X Power, 2x PSX-R, PMC twenty.22  Snug. Stream X, Mac Mini, Qute HD, 8XPdQX, X Power, PSX-R, Pathos Aurium / HD800, MA GX50

 

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3673
RE: Dac advice

adp6003 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary. 

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly. 

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

 

I listen to a wide variety of music via Spotty premium.

 

Thanks in advance

The matrix mini i-DAC would be the one to look at. A bundle of connectivity and functions that you'll be hard pressed to match at this price. If you are considering spending QuteHD money on a DAC, just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

 

mitch65's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 min ago
Joined: 16/12/2003 - 12:50
Posts: 1159
RE: Dac advice

Overdose wrote:

adp6003 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary. 

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly. 

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

 

I listen to a wide variety of music via Spotty premium.

 

Thanks in advance

just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

 

Agreed but they are very unforgiving of suspect recordings

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3673
RE: Dac advice

mitch65 wrote:

Overdose wrote:

adp6003 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary. 

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly. 

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

 

I listen to a wide variety of music via Spotty premium.

 

Thanks in advance

just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

 

Agreed but they are very unforgiving of suspect recordings

You mean that they are acurate? Agreed, they are, but if you want a DAC that audibly affects the sound of 'suspect' recordings, it will also do so to good ones.

You can't have it both ways, DACs don't work like that.

Just place a blanket, veil or whatever other cliched piece of cloth you have to hand, over your speakers et voila, it will be just like using a much less capable DAC in the first place. When the music switches to a better recording, you can just lift said veil and all without spending any extra money.

Log in or register to post comments