Have your say & ask the experts!

Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

29 replies [Last post]
sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495

Hi all,

Thankyou for your continued support. 

I have been streaming music from my iPhone to aptv2 into my old amp via toslink,with good results, i have sold amp and aptv2 and have aptv3, however I cannot store all music on my iPhone so I was thinking of a NAS, I have just acquired a Yamaha RX-V2065 2nd hand which I believe is a network amp?? 

My wife has a laptop which I use to sync to iPhone but it's hers do I don't want it for music storage. 

So if I bought a NAS, say 500gb could I use this in conjunction with my amp and aptv3??

My router sits next to all my equipment so all can be hard wired.

Will I be able to control via iPhone or some other how??

Ease be patient and explain simples! Maybe also a link to what I need, I have £150 ish to play with. 

 

Thanks all

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

Overdose's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2008
Posts: 3143
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

Presumably you are using iTunes?

ATV will play the files, but you will need a machine with iTunes running to be able to feed the files to the ATV.

It might be possible, if the NAS is configured to be accessed wirelessly over your home network, to use iTunes on the iPhone to access the files on the NAS and then stream to the ATV.

It sounds complicated, but it might work. I am doing something similar myself, using a Mac mini to play music on iTunes, but from my laptop library. The laptop is also the remote for the Mac mini.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience here will come along, as I am only guessing that this is how it might all be able to work.

__________________

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

Overdose wrote:

Presumably you are using iTunes?

ATV will play the files, but you will need a machine with iTunes running to be able to feed the files to the ATV.

It might be possible, if the NAS is configured to be accessed wirelessly over your home network, to use iTunes on the iPhone to access the files on the NAS and then stream to the ATV.

It sounds complicated, but it might work. I am doing something similar myself, using a Mac mini to play music on iTunes, but from my laptop library. The laptop is also the remote for the Mac mini.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience here will come along, as I am only guessing that this is how it might all be able to work.

yes mate itunes it is but i need to not have her pc on everytime i want to listen to music!

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

john1000000boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 669
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

CarefuL what you do here I fell down quite hard here trying to stream iTunes  from a"nas" without having my mac running. The very unreliable sales person in pc world reliably informed me that the tc I bought from him would pipe the music straight To my apple tv 2. This is a lot of rubbish!!  The only model I can see that may do this is the synology 212j as it has an iTunes server in it....  DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT THOUGH.  I really like the idea of piping all my iTunes into Atv with no computer running. Have settled for AirPlay in the short term from my 64gb ipad( wife got a new ipad3 so freed up the shared iPad 1 for all my lossless tunes)

 

Would be really interested in your results though!!!

 

John 

__________________

Panasonic Tx-P65ST50B. Pioneer SC-LX82, Pioneer BDP-LX52, Pioneer PDP-4280XD. Monitor Audio Rx6 Av12. Apple Macbook, Apple Ipad air 64gb, Apple iphone 4 8gb, Apple Ipod Touch 32gb, Apple Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV. Sky HD. Microsoft Xbox 360. Monster Beats Studio HD. Sennheisser CX 300 II. QED Silver Spiral, QED Anniversary XT Speaker Wire, QED HDMI-P. One For All Xsight Touch. Belkin N Router. Devolo Home Plugs. Buffalo linkstation live 2.0Tb. Iomega 1.5tb Hard Drive. Spotify Premium. Philips Fidelio AirPlay spkr dock

My System Thread Best pics start on Page 4:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/finally-my-new-system-as-ofnow

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

john1000000boy wrote:

CarefuL what you do here I fell down quite hard here trying to stream iTunes  from a"nas" without having my mac running. The very unreliable sales person in pc world reliably informed me that the tc I bought from him would pipe the music straight To my apple tv 2. This is a lot of rubbish!!  The only model I can see that may do this is the synology 212j as it has an iTunes server in it....  DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT THOUGH.  I really like the idea of piping all my iTunes into Atv with no computer running. Have settled for AirPlay in the short term from my 64gb ipad( wife got a new ipad3 so freed up the shared iPad 1 for all my lossless tunes)

 

Would be really interested in your results though!!!

 

John 

i will be really honest here.... i have no idea what i meant in writing my thread but its what id like it to do !!

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

john1000000boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 669
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212j&lang=enu

 

That above

 

And this quote frm the above website

 

 

 

 

iTunes® Server is an easy way to share music with other iTunes® clients over the network. You can use iTunes® as a multimedia player to browse and play music stored on your Synology DiskStation.

 

I too am not totally clued up on all this but would love to know the answers. Loads of Synology users on the forums...

What do you think??

 

John

__________________

Panasonic Tx-P65ST50B. Pioneer SC-LX82, Pioneer BDP-LX52, Pioneer PDP-4280XD. Monitor Audio Rx6 Av12. Apple Macbook, Apple Ipad air 64gb, Apple iphone 4 8gb, Apple Ipod Touch 32gb, Apple Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV. Sky HD. Microsoft Xbox 360. Monster Beats Studio HD. Sennheisser CX 300 II. QED Silver Spiral, QED Anniversary XT Speaker Wire, QED HDMI-P. One For All Xsight Touch. Belkin N Router. Devolo Home Plugs. Buffalo linkstation live 2.0Tb. Iomega 1.5tb Hard Drive. Spotify Premium. Philips Fidelio AirPlay spkr dock

My System Thread Best pics start on Page 4:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/finally-my-new-system-as-ofnow

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

The easiest way I see is a 64gb iPod and stream to the aptv!! 

I thought it would be simple to have a NAS that held my music which plugged into my router, my RX-V2065 will be connected to my router and somehow by magic I could play tracks on my NAS using either my iPhone or something else I've not thought of yet ha ha. 

Squeeze box?? 

 

Guessing now!

 

Darrell

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

john1000000boy's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 669
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

So you have been using AirPlay to your Atv a query to synology would be the next step to get the facts about all this or a user here

 

John

__________________

Panasonic Tx-P65ST50B. Pioneer SC-LX82, Pioneer BDP-LX52, Pioneer PDP-4280XD. Monitor Audio Rx6 Av12. Apple Macbook, Apple Ipad air 64gb, Apple iphone 4 8gb, Apple Ipod Touch 32gb, Apple Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV. Sky HD. Microsoft Xbox 360. Monster Beats Studio HD. Sennheisser CX 300 II. QED Silver Spiral, QED Anniversary XT Speaker Wire, QED HDMI-P. One For All Xsight Touch. Belkin N Router. Devolo Home Plugs. Buffalo linkstation live 2.0Tb. Iomega 1.5tb Hard Drive. Spotify Premium. Philips Fidelio AirPlay spkr dock

My System Thread Best pics start on Page 4:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/finally-my-new-system-as-ofnow

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

john1000000boy wrote:

So you have been using AirPlay to your Atv a query to synology would be the next step to get the facts about all this or a user here

 

John

Yes John, iPhone rammed with music, choose, press play, tap AirPlay symbol and aptv2 would switch on and presto. Just my iPhone storage is not big enough!! So I need something of 500gb to hold music and something that I may have or have to buy to get it to play through my amp. 

 

Head is fizzed up now! zzzzZZZZZ

 

Darrell

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11903
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

It's not easy if you want to stream on your ATV3 from your NAS. Check this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3945488?start=15&tstart=0

Boxee would've been a far better option as it can read media files off your NAS, & is also AirPlay enabled (although it can't do mirroring):

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/boxee-box/at-a-glance

Your Yamaha should be able to read your NAS via DLNA using a server like Twonky.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

bigboss wrote:

It's not easy if you want to stream on your ATV3 from your NAS. Check this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3945488?start=15&tstart=0

Boxee would've been a far better option as it can read media files off your NAS, & is also AirPlay enabled (although it can't do mirroring):

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/boxee-box/at-a-glance

Your Yamaha should be able to read your NAS via DLNA using a server like Twonky.

I have heard of twonky, so if I had a NAS and my Amp is DLNA would I need laptop on? This wouldn't be poss unless I had my own laptop which is more expense!! 

 

Thanks tho BB

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

So boxee box, this seems cool, so if I had a NAS plugged into boxee the boxee would play the files through the amp and I could control via iPhone with a particular app?? 

Or did I misunderstand?

 

Sorry if you think I'm daft. 

 

Darrell

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11903
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

sta99y wrote:

I have heard of twonky, so if I had a NAS and my Amp is DLNA would I need laptop on? This wouldn't be poss unless I had my own laptop which is more expense!! 

The whole point of a NAS drive is that you don't need a laptop. Based on a few forums I looked, Buffalo NAS works well with Yamaha to stream music.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11903
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

sta99y wrote:

So boxee box, this seems cool, so if I had a NAS plugged into boxee the boxee would play the files through the amp and I could control via iPhone with a particular app?? 

Or did I misunderstand?

No. By definition, NAS is Network Attached Storage, so it has to be connected to your router via Ethernet. The Boxee will connect to the router wirelessly (although you can also hard wire it for better performance, given that your router is placed in the same place as your AV equipment) & read the NAS.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

bigboss wrote:

sta99y wrote:

So boxee box, this seems cool, so if I had a NAS plugged into boxee the boxee would play the files through the amp and I could control via iPhone with a particular app?? 

Or did I misunderstand?

No. By definition, NAS is Network Attached Storage, so it has to be connected to your router via Ethernet. The Boxee will connect to the router wirelessly (although you can also hard wire it for better performance, given that your router is placed in the same place as your AV equipment) & read the NAS.

BB everything housed in a big oak unit, everything will be wired to router for better performance. 

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4

 

sta99y's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 495
RE: Can I stream from a NAS? I haven't a clue!!

So my understanding is, NAS attached wired to router, boxee wired to router, amp to router, boxee reads files on NAS which plays through the amp... Yes?? 

This would be controlled via a remote for boxee? And I could see on my tv which track, album etc... Is playing? 

Now this is where I want the magic to happen, I do not want tv on!!! I would like to be able to see which track I'm selecting on my iPhone. 

 

If this can't happen tell me to be quiet and go away. 

 

Thanks all. 

 

Darrell

__________________

Samsung PS50a456-Cambridge audio Azur 650BD-Yamaha RX-V2065-BK XXLS400-Monitor Audio Radius 180 fronts/surrounds-225 centre-XBOX360-ATV3-Logitech Harmony One-Gale Hyper-Latz 250 spk cable-IOXS Interconnects-iPod 30gb video-iPhone 4