251 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: MP3 (320 kbps) VS flac/wav

Interesting topic. I have just compared mp3 (highest quality setting) & flac ripped with dbpoweramp and can't tell a difference. The dbpoweramp rips are better than my previous windows media player 192kbps rips though.

Cypher's picture

I've created a wav file and a MP3 (320kbps) file of some songs. I've listened to them several times and tried to notice a difference between them but could not find any.

Why do some people prefer the wav file over the mp3 file ? What do they hear in the wav file that isn't in the mp3 file ? Is it sounding clearer or more detailed.........

Again..........this is not about who's wrong or right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no problem.

MajorFubar's picture

Cypher wrote:
Why do some people prefer the wav file over the mp3 file ? Is it sounding clearer or more detailed.........

When there is an obvious difference, yes, that's how I would describe it.  But as I've said, to my ears the compression is more successful with some songs than others and depending on the song and on the equipment and the environment used to listen to it, the difference may be very obvious or not at all.  For a start I can't tell the difference between MP3s and original CDs in the car, no matter what music I'm listening to.
smuggs's picture

i think if you cant tell between mp3 320 and lossless than just be happy and enjoy yur music. i admit a lot of pop music is hard to tell. i find with my music bob dylan,scott walker,neil young,mark knopfler,ten years after,robert cray,clapton,bruce springsteen ,sade ect when i turn it up i find flac a touch better than 320 acc or mp3. and with storage so cheap its abit like blu ray and dvd some are close and some are miles apart but in the end mp3 will only ever be on par never better so rip in flac or wav if possible and enjoy

Alec's picture

Deleted. Wrong thread.

amcluesent's picture

Solo harpsichord is dreadful with MP3 encoding 

Alec's picture

amcluesent wrote:

Solo harpsichord is dreadful with MP3 encoding 

Dreadful?

What bitrate was used? Was LAME used?

amcluesent's picture

>Dreadful?<

LAME 320kbps 

John Duncan's picture

You had me at...

amcluesent wrote:

Solo harpsichord is dreadful

...but then i'm a subjectivist.

On the vast majority of music I listen to I can't tell the difference (generally between 320k AAC and ALAC), but I'm old, deaf, and don't listen to classical on the whole.  YMMV*

*and this is where I know I'm posting on the right forum.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Alec's picture

I find that hard to believe, but I'll have to rip me some cello music.

smuggs's picture

al7478 , i am close ending all this amp speaker,cable wars and going for a solid easy setup. how good are your adm 9.1s i listen to alot loud and quite so it has to be an alrounder i listen to blues mrs r&b. sorry to take a sliproad on the thread just after a forum members thoughts

Alec's picture

smuggs wrote:

al7478 , i am close ending all this amp speaker,cable wars and going for a solid easy setup. how good are your adm 9.1s i listen to alot loud and quite so it has to be an alrounder i listen to blues mrs r&b. sorry to take a sliproad on the thread just after a forum members thoughts

Apologies for the rubbish answer, but I live in fear of this question.

I'm very inexperienced, I've heard very few sets of speakers.

I've liked them with everything I've listened to. I had MA B2s before, which sounded sluggish with anything a bit "hard" or lively. To begin with, I thought they sounded "lush" in a good way, with things like Find The River by REM, but then decided they just sounded cloying and gloopy.

Everything sounds the same with the AVIs though, what I imagine is neutral. They manage to get across the lush sound of some REM and the like, and the excitement and hard edge of Slipknot et al.

EDIT sorry, volume. Volume is subjective, I prefer them a bit louder but who doesn't? But they're fine at levels I think most would call quiet.

MajorFubar's picture

If MP3s sound good enough for you, then that's fine.  End of debate really.

landzw's picture

Well i've been toying around with aac 320kps and lossless music . When i had my IE7 headphones ( which broke ) i could notice a big difference between the two formats  , now i have Beyerdynamics DTX 7iE i struggle to notice the difference .

I think its all about pairing all of what you have , no point having £500 speakers with a buget £100 amp , your system has to have some sort of consistency 

steve_1979's picture

landzw wrote:

Well i've been toying around with aac 320kps and lossless music . When i had my IE7 headphones ( which broke ) i could notice a big difference between the two formats  , now i have Beyerdynamics DTX 7iE i struggle to notice the difference .

I think its all about pairing all of what you have  

I agree with you thare landzw.

With my Yamaha receiver and Q Acoustics speakers I can never tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless files.

With my Sony A-series Walkman and some very high quality Westone UM3x earphones I could just about tell the difference with 3 out of the 20 tracks I tested.

With professional audio active studio monitors the difference was more noticeable and I could definitly hear it was there but it was still only a very small difference. Even with equipment of this quality I often couldn't tell the difference because the quality of the original recording seems to have much bigger effect on the sound quality rather than whether or not it's been ripped to 320kbps MP3 or lossless.

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

Pages