How to make most of computer based music
Hi there I'm just after some help upgrading my hi-fi set up as less and less of my music is available via CD.
I have most of my music on my MAC and when I buy downloads I try to get FLACs where possible. At the moment I can't play these but am future proofing. I have a Rotel RCD-02 CD player and Rotel RA-02 Amp. Basically, I want to play my electronic music via my laptop but keep the quality as high as possible like my CDs. In an ideal world I would like to not have to hard wire my laptop or iphone into the hi-fi and send wirelessly but not sure if this will deterioate the sound.
I am thinking of buying a Rotel RDD-06 DAC. This has a bluetooth dongle for wireless streaming but not sure what file sizes it takes or if it decreases quality. At the moment I am guessing that I need a 2-3m USB A to USB B cable to connect my laptop to it. Then a digital cable to connect my CD unit to the DAC and then use my expensive connects that the CD player is currently connectd to the amp with to connect the DAC to the amp.
1) Is this a good way of playing my digital music library?
2) Is this the best way to connect up? Is there a way I can connect to it wirelessly without losing quality?
3) Is it worth getting a DAC? Is the sound significantly better than sending my music to my amp via something like a mini jack or using and Apple TV or Apple Airport Express?
4) Is there a better way that isn't going to cost more than £400 to play my digital music library.
5) I have been ripping my CDs into itunes using the Apple Lossless encoder. Is this the best way?
Thanks for any help offered as I am a tad confused as to what is the best way to go forward.