Getting Podcasts onto Sonos or Server based systems.
I thought that I would post this simply because I have been asked by a few friends how I listen to BBC Podcasts etc on my Sonos system. They then ask me to set it up for them, so I guess it may be helpful for others (based upon my friends). This will work also for simple PC/MAC based listening..... but I like to have the programmes all over the house when cleaning or doing DIY etc.
This is how I get all my favourite podcasts to play and be searchable on my Sonos. I use BBC podcasts because their ID Tags are completed correctly, if you use any others then check their ID Tags first and if needed edit them.
1. On your NAS or PC/MAC. Go to your downloads folder and create a folder called BBC Podcasts.
2. In your browser search for BBC Podcasts.
3.Choose your Station. Let's say Radio 4.
4.Select your program. Let's say Women's Hour.
5.Select episode from list on the left hand column.
6. Right click on episode where it says Download and select Save as/link. Let's say Teenagers and Pornography (24 Oct 2012).
7.From the menu save it to the folder created in number 1. above. The episode will download to this folder.
8.Repeat the process numbered 3 to 7 above for every program/episode that you want to download.
9. In your Sonos software (controller or PC). Select Settings, then select Manage Music Library.Then select Music Library Set Up.
10. Select Add New Share then select Enter the location of a share (uising the controller) OR select Manage, select Music Library Settings (using PC software). If using the controller input the location of the folder BBC Podcasts that you created in 1. above. If using the PC Software select Add, make a selection from the list, and then browse for the folder created in 1. above. Note that if you use Itunes/or others to download podcasts you can select the 2nd option and browse through the Itunes locations for its downloads.
THIS ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE ONCE AS IT GETS ADDED TO YOUR SHARES LIST AND STAYS UNTIL YOU REMOVE IT.
11. When finished the Sonos software automatically updates your music library.
12. Use Controller to search Artists, mine are automatically sorted into BBC Radio, BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio Cymru , and then sorted into programs then episodes are listed.
13. All that needs to be done is add or delete episodes from the folder created in 1. above and tell the Sonos Software to Update Music Library Now.
14. If you are note sure if the ID Tags are correct then follow steps 3-7 above, then open the BBC Podcasts (or whatever you've called it) folder. Right click on the downloaded program and select properties, then select ID Tags. If there is nothing entered, just click opposite each category and type in what you want and it will be included when you update as in number 13.
I have tried a simpler version with my PC and Foobar and MS Media and it works for listening whilst working on the PC. Instead of updating using the Sonos software, I just drag and drop from the BBC Podcast folder to the player software. It also works with the 'stranger' podcasts that come out of the USA/Africa/Australia and BBC Worldwide.
I tend to do mine once per week, and consequently have always got something to listen to when progressing through the grand scheme of things at home.
Hope this helps somebody. Happy listening.