13 posts / 0 new
Last post
alializadeh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2011 - 11:09
Posts: 86
FLAC music stream

hi 

i'm a huge fan off FLAC music files and would love to play them on my Marantz PM6004 with 2 B&W M1's.

here is the probem: i store all my FLAC music on my laptop or external usb 3.0 hard drive, BUT i always have to stream it by my laptop. 

somebody told me that the sound coming from your laptop is not pure FLAC 16bit , 192khz sound, whatever your filetype is or your sound setting, is this correct?

i'm looking for something where i can store my huge collection  and stram it to my ampifier. a sort of sound card but with storage...

any idea? or what i should do to get the best sound out of my files, hard drive, laptop?...

 

thanks

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3514
RE: FLAC music stream

Just so we're all singing from the same hymn-sheet (ugh!), FLAC is not an audio format, it's a lossless storage format, designed for storing audio files of various resolutions and bitrates. So when you say the output from your laptop isn't 'pure FLAC 16bit 192kHz sound', there's no such thing, because FLAC doesn't determine the quality of the audio. if you have 192kHz hi-res files on your PC stored as FLACs, then as far as I know, your PC should be able to output them bit-perfect to an external DAC, though you might need a bit of jiggery-pokery to bypass Windows' automatic reprocessing, which is possibly what your friend meant.

With regards to using another source in place of your PC, there are streamers which will store and play FLAC-format audio files from either built-in hard-drives or external hard-drives on your home network. This would take your computer out of the equation. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will come along with some suggestions.

philbirch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 17/04/2011 - 22:04
Posts: 14
RE: FLAC music stream

How are you getting the sound into the amplifier? An external DAC or the computers sound card?

 

It sound's like you need an NAS with a Network Streamer if you want to take the laptop out of the equation. Some streamers might be able to mount the USB drive directly removing the need for the NAS. I know Squeezeboxes did, but they've are no longer on sale. Sad

 

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3466
RE: FLAC music stream

alializadeh wrote:

hi 

i'm a huge fan off FLAC music files and would love to play them on my Marantz PM6004 with 2 B&W M1's.

here is the probem: i store all my FLAC music on my laptop or external usb 3.0 hard drive, BUT i always have to stream it by my laptop. 

somebody told me that the sound coming from your laptop is not pure FLAC 16bit , 192khz sound, whatever your filetype is or your sound setting, is this correct?

i'm looking for something where i can store my huge collection  and stram it to my ampifier. a sort of sound card but with storage...

any idea? or what i should do to get the best sound out of my files, hard drive, laptop?...

 

thanks

Have a look at a Roku Box and a NAS for storage.

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2522
RE: FLAC music stream

Just gonna sell my Seagate Theater + in favour of a WD TV Live. £80 + usb hdd/stick gives a cheap media streamer for videos, photos ans FLACs. Thru hdmi all sounds pretty good tho others may be ablw to compare its sq with other kit?

I think uncompressed flac comparea very well with cd thru bdp.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8359
RE: FLAC music stream

Overdose wrote:

Have a look at a Roku Box and a NAS for storage.

 

I'm guessing you've never used one then?

As much as I like my Rokus, they're no music streamer and would never recommend one for that purpose.

You need the TV on for starters, they only have HDMI output or analogue out via a 'custom AV cable' (3.5mm mini-jack to stereo RCA + composite video) and SQ is poor, as is file format support so won't do high res flac like the OP wants.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3466
RE: FLAC music stream

daveh75 wrote:

Overdose wrote:

Have a look at a Roku Box and a NAS for storage.

 

I'm guessing you've never used one then? As much as I like my Rokus, they're no music streamer and would never recommend one for that purpose. You need the TV on for starters, they only have HDMI output or analogue out via a 'custom AV cable' (3.5mm mini-jack to stereo RCA + composite video) and SQ is poor, as is file format support so won't do high res flac like the OP wants.

Interesting, so they dropped the optical output then?

The remote app can be used to control the devide headlessly though surely?

Did the OP say the he had or wanted high resolution music?

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8359
RE: FLAC music stream

Overdose wrote:

 

Interesting, so they dropped the optical output then?

Did the first gens have then? The LT, XS and Roku 3 don't

Quote:
The remote app can be used to control the devide headlessly though surely?

Nope. The app is literally just a remote keypad and keyboard, so there's no way to view or select media without a display

They're primarily streamers for online video, and other features are provided by third party channels, so no real reason for Roku to add the functionality to the app I guess.

Quote:
Did the OP say the he had or wanted high resolution music?

He mentions 192khz flacs.

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 769
RE: FLAC music stream

Right idea with streamer but wrong example.

Something like a WD Live ( or similar) would be better as it supports DLNA and FLAC. So you could use a phone/tablet/pc to control it if you didnt want to have the TV on.

 

You bascially want a streamer that supports flac and is certifed as a DLNA renderer so it can be controlled by a remote device.

 

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3466
RE: FLAC music stream

daveh75 wrote:

Overdose wrote:

 

Interesting, so they dropped the optical output then?

Did the first gens have then? The LT, XS and Roku 3 don't

Quote:
The remote app can be used to control the devide headlessly though surely?

Nope. The app is literally just a remote keypad and keyboard, so there's no way to view or select media without a display

They're primarily streamers for online video, and other features are provided by third party channels, so no real reason for Roku to add the functionality to the app I guess.

Quote:
Did the OP say the he had or wanted high resolution music?

He mentions 192khz flacs.

What he mentioned was this...

"somebody told me that the sound coming from your laptop is not pure FLAC 16bit , 192khz sound, whatever your filetype is or your sound setting, is this correct?"

..and it's not the same as asking for high res music files. It appears the OP is just unsure as to what FLACs are and how they relate to music playback.

Next to the DC input can be seen the opticla output socket.

Granted, the new box appears to be more limited in connectivity.

 

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2522
RE: FLAC music stream

Any comment on SQ from a flac thru WDTV live? I have yet to open the box.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 769
RE: FLAC music stream

RobinKidderminster wrote:
Any comment on SQ from a flac thru WDTV live? I have yet to open the box.

 

If you are using digital output (optical/hdmi) on the WDTV then the SQ depends solely on the connected amp/dac/speakers when playing lossless  codecs.

 

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2522
RE: FLAC music stream

Thanks AJ. Guess I kinda thought that but was worried in one review saying the sound was poor. My Seagate seems to provide a decent flac to my amp and trust that the WDTV will perform as well. Cheers

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

Log in or register to post comments