55 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
RE: Sony unveils BDP-A6000 Blu-ray Disc Player

From what I read, it attempts to overcome a technology limitation LCD had over CRT. There's no suggestion of "algorithm" or "manipulation".

strapped for cash's picture

I just had a read. The article makes reference to putative advantages when reproducing 4k content. Again, I'm no clearer as to how triluminous technology offers any advantage in a BDP. (Perhaps when upscaling to 4k?)

To me, triluminous technology sounds like a form of colour upscaling. In other words, the process involves guesswork using a predictive algorithm.

I'm making certain assumptions, however, and could well be talking rubbish, which is why I'd like more information. Smile

bigboss wrote:
From what I read, it attempts to overcome a technology limitation LCD had over CRT. There's no suggestion of "algorithm" or "manipulation".

So the difference is singularly in the panel/display technology, rather than the way content is stored, processed, and delivered? If so, I still don't understand how a BDP could be "triluminous ready."

[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

Put another way, if there's a discrepancy between the colour gamut displayed and the colour spacing system used to encode content, processing must occur somewhere, whether that's in the TV, BDP, or both. If processing is taking place, presumably an algorithm is used.

Put another way again, if there's no manipulation by way of an algorithm occuring in the BDP, then all BDPs are "triluminous ready," just as all BDPs are "plasma and LED ready." The idea of a "triluminous ready" BDP therefore becomes an entirely empty branding exercise. (Which is really the point Paul was making.)

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Put another way again, if there's no manipulation by way of an algorithm occuring in the BDP, then all BDPs are "triluminous ready," just as all BDPs are "plasma and LED ready." The idea of a "triluminous ready" BDP therefore becomes an entirely empty branding exercise. (Which is really the point Paul was making.)

I too suspect that's the case. Triluminos technology may offer benefits over LCD / LED but I'm not sure if the Sony blu ray player offers any benefits over others. Obviously, Sony wants to ensure that their Triluminos TV buyers buy their blu ray player as well.

So to conclude, electronics manufacturers rely on a lack of technical knowledge to promote products offering no discernable advantage. Who'd have thunk it. :O

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

So to conclude, electronics manufacturers rely on a lack of technical knowledge to promote products offering no discernable advantage. Who'd have thunk it. :O

Yeah, but, triluminous, there's like three of them and everything. 

And all three are presumably, like, you know, luminous.

This thread has forced me to recalibrate my thinking about "scientific" marketing claims. I can no longer accept things at face value. Maybe the Pro-vitamin B5 in my shampoo isn't helping at all?

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

And all three are presumably, like, you know, luminous.

Sure, it's like three really bright, er, things and that. 

Quote:
This thread has forced me to recalibrate my thinking about "scientific" marketing claims. I can no longer accept things at face value. Maybe the Pro-vitamin B5 in my shampoo isn't helping at all?

The good thing is they are *pro* vitamins rather than against them but B5's pretty lame, I'd rather have one of those A1s or 2s. 

BenLaw wrote:

The good thing is they are *pro* vitamins rather than against them but B5's pretty lame, I'd rather have one of those A1s or 2s.

I'd never buy an anti-vitamin shampoo. And if I had to support one of the B vitamins, it'd definitely be B5. Contemplating other categories of vitamin in hair care products is frankly overwhelming. Call me closed-minded, but I'll stick with what I know, thankyou very much.

BenLaw's picture

Probably fewer people would go for it if the manufacturer called it pantothenic acid. 

To be fair, much scientific terminology sounds rather frightening. Perhaps advertising euphemisms are no bad thing. 

One seemingly needs an advanced scientific degree to determine which terms (and products) have merit. Since most people don't, corporations can throw around pseudo-scientific terminology and, I suspect, fool many a consumer. Which perhaps returns us, through some form of circular logic, to the empty idea of "triluminous ready" Blu-ray players.

And I'm still not convinced that "pro-vitamin B5" actually contains any vitamin B5. The phrase doesn't necessitate its inclusion. (In the sense that one can be "pro-Obama" without actually being Obama.)

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

And I'm still not convinced that "pro-vitamin B5" actually contains any vitamin B5. 

It's the alcohol analog of vitamin B5.

Pages